Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I wrong?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Am I wrong?

I've come to the conclusion that for most practical purposes, chrome lined barrels have caught up to stainless. I can see that stainless barrels might still have a distinct edge for certain applications, like precision bolt action rifles and maybe even for match ARs. But for the RECCE/SPR type rifle shooting factory match grade ammo, it seems to me that a person would be better served with a high quality chrome lined barrel. I simply don't see the advantage of a stainless barrel unless you're willing to handload and you're using it for something where fractions of an inch matter.

Some of this is based on the stuff that Molon has posted. I've lurked on several forums and seen the stuff he's done over the years, and the claims he has made seem to be the cold hard truth of the matter. For the most part, I'm seeing that stainless barrels aren't as accurate as people claim, and chrome lined barrels, at least some of them, are way more accurate than most people give them credit for.

So what says the collective? Has the paradigm shifted?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that for most practical purposes, chrome lined barrels have caught up to stainless. I can see that stainless barrels might still have a distinct edge for certain applications, like precision bolt action rifles and maybe even for match ARs. But for the RECCE/SPR type rifle shooting factory match grade ammo, it seems to me that a person would be better served with a high quality chrome lined barrel. I simply don't see the advantage of a stainless barrel unless you're willing to handload and you're using it for something where fractions of an inch matter.

Some of this is based on the stuff that Molon has posted. I've lurked on several forums and seen the stuff he's done over the years, and the claims he has made seem to be the cold hard truth of the matter. For the most part, I'm seeing that stainless barrels aren't as accurate as people claim, and chrome lined barrels, at least some of them, are way more accurate than most people give them credit for.

Nitride. More consistent than chrome given equal levels of prep...As hard as chrome, more susceptible to heat damage than chrome but that's not an issue with a precision rifle generally. Cheaper than hard chrome too.....

Better. Personal opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    If you’re talking about the B.E. Meyers MAWL-C1, then the paradigm has definitely shifted.
    But ref. your OP, I’ve seen better accuracy from 416R SS barrels than chrome lines from equitable manufacturers, and that’s been pretty consistent across my barrels. I don’t think I mentally shoot one better than the other, and I use factory SMK ammo in both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post

You have to understand the history first. Back around 2000 there were little to none chrome lined barrels on the market. SS was easier to make at the time and it was usually a better barrel then anything else available.

That is why you will see 10.5" SS barrels. In reality there is no application for a 10.5 SS barrel today now that there Re a variety of other options, CHF Chrome Lined, Nitrated, etc......

But if you are are wanting a precision AR with like a 16" barrel then a high quality SS barrel is the way to go still. Other than that there is not a logical reason to use one other than it is America and you can.

One of my personal pet peeves now days is to see a SS 16" barreled AR with a reflex sight on it...... it is like the AR is confused on what it should do........ like putting a 6" lift kit on a 4x2 truck....... just why???????
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Gender confused AR’s are amongst us now.

I knew it was only a matter of time.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Only to be worked on in transgendered armorers rooms...

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Gender confused AR’s are amongst us now.

I knew it was only a matter of time.

Feedback Score
    I am happy enough with Colt socom barrels, DD's CHF barrels, and Criterion barrels. Most of my barrels are one of those now, with the exemption of bargain builds.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am of the thought that stainless steel barrels are more geared towards precision ARs and not your general purpose/SHTF ARs. That is why I only have a few SS barreled ARs and they are topped with scopes as they are for precision type shooting. All of my other ARs have chrome-lined or unlined (only a couple of them like this) barrels.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    In reality there is no application for a 10.5 SS barrel today now that there Re a variety of other options, CHF Chrome Lined, Nitrated, etc......

But if you are are wanting a precision AR with like a 16" barrel then a high quality SS barrel is the way to go still. Other than that there is not a logical reason to use one other than it is America and you can.

One of my personal pet peeves now days is to see a SS 16" barreled AR with a reflex sight on it...... it is like the AR is confused on what it should do........ like putting a 6" lift kit on a 4x2 truck....... just why???????

100% total agreement from me.

SS barrels are a good thing in their given specialty, but that specialty has been pulled into the generic AR15 market for some odd reason.

To answer the question from the OP, a good SS barrel is still going to outshoot a chrome lined barrel.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    When I think of SS barrels I think of Hart's/Douglas/Shilen air-gauged ones. For accuracy, period. And yes, some budget SS barrels have made it into the "general use" AR market. I highly doubt they are capable of true "match" accuracy.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast