Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The case for: Shotguns designed before the Great War are better than anything since

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    They are broken if the have a disconnector…it makes them stupid slow to shoot. Lol.
    Actually no. It takes some practice, but if you learn to float your trigger finger right at the trigger break/reset you can closely mirror slam fire speed by taking advantage of the recoil and the forward lock of the pump stroke. Essentially bump firing your pump. Not to mention I've been told slam fire is hard on the gun.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Actually no. It takes some practice, but if you learn to float your trigger finger right at the trigger break/reset you can closely mirror slam fire speed by taking advantage of the recoil and the forward lock of the pump stroke. Essentially bump firing your pump. Not to mention I've been told slam fire is hard on the gun.
    Obviously I understand but if you’re used to a gun without a disconnector, it takes getting used to. You’re correct that slamming any vintage shotgun is less than good for it but since words matter. Lol…

Slide firing a shotgun (‘97) is not hard on the gun at all. The hammer doesn’t follow the bolt down. When the carrier comes up and locked into battery, if your finger it on the trigger, the sear is lifted and the hammer drops from full cock just as if you intentionally pulled the trigger. Very much like the full auto cycle in an M4; the hammer is released not following the bolt down.

I’d submit that anyone who “slam fires” a ‘97 has zero idea what they’re doing and is just abusing the gun for fun. The only caveat is that the gun needs to be fairly smooth and built properly (not modified or action lick removed or any of that dumb shit). It also has to be adjusted properly and in good working order.

Over 20 years or so, I’ve slide fired thousands upon thousands of rounds thru a 1901 made solid frame ‘97 and it’ll go thousands more if needed.

Once I got used to my 590A1, I’m just as fast with it (5 round in 4.5s ish). Good stuff.
    Last edited by Sparky5019; 05-16-21 at 15:01.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    In 1930, Howlin' Wolf was just taking the first steps towards becoming a blues legend. That's when this Savage was made; its first year of production. I bought it with no barrel or fore end. Had a Remington 11 barrel, scarfed a fore end, added a Browning A5 two-piece lifter.... thought about calling it Savrembro but I think I prefer...... Spoonful.

Buggered screw heads, cracked receiver tang, rust-pitted chamber and all, ninety-one years later it can still get the job done.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    On my OG '97 you have to push forward on the forearm stock before pulling it back to cycle. Is that a standard feature on '97s? Or something worn on mine?

IE: after you shoot you can't just pull the forearm back like on an 870 or bps.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That's a designed-in feature of the '97, to make sure you don't open the action without the gun firing and recoiling first. The Winchester '93 did not have this and there were issues supposedly with hangfires. Click, rack, bang instead of clickbang rack. So it is intended that recoil makes the fore end jump forward, unlocking it the action so it can be cycled. Seems to work. I guess hangfire issues went away to the extent that the 870 and most everything else, the dropping hammer is what unlocks the slide.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    That's a designed-in feature of the '97, to make sure you don't open the action without the gun firing and recoiling first. The Winchester '93 did not have this and there were issues supposedly with hangfires. Click, rack, bang instead of clickbang rack. So it is intended that recoil makes the fore end jump forward, unlocking it the action so it can be cycled. Seems to work. I guess hangfire issues went away to the extent that the 870 and most everything else, the dropping hammer is what unlocks the slide.
    93 and 97(plus mini mentions of others here). Recoil lock is demo'd at about 15:00 and the shell detonating during ejection is mentioned earlier during the 93 discussion.

Feedback Score
    The Winchester 97 has seen it's share of screen time with movies and TV. It has that "businesslike" appearance (from "Windtalkers"):

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Indeed the '97 is good on screen, be it a war movie, a gangster movie, or Garand thumb's episode on it.

Does a shotgun have to be zero'd? Absolutely. I finally got this front sight where I want it. It won't win the World Shotgun Slug Championship but it'll harvest a deer at 50 yards with a Brenneke slug and put a spread-out spoonful of double-ought where I want it at 25'. Made from a piece of antler shed found about 100' from the house.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Thanks much, makes sense. And works!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I never warmed to the recoil characteristics of the Browning A5.

I have a number of buds who own them and have used them for trap and skeet. My Beretta's are a lot smoother and I hit better with them.

I do like all the wood on the older guns and I've always wanted a Model 12.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast