I mentioned this idea in the training and tactics thread, thought it was worth posting here.

I think many members of the firearms community have something in common with a lot of Christians: they want to tell others and talk about their passion, but don't know how.

The NSSF has put together a series of infographics on firearms entitled 'Gun Crimes Plummet even as Gun Sales Rise.' You can find and download them here: https://www.nssf.org/media/infographics/

They also have a section of firearms safety and education literature which you can download at this location: https://www.nssf.org/safety/safety-c...on-literature/

I'm an NSSF member, but I didn't have to login in download any of the items.

Here is the action plan I'm going to try to implement:

1. Get the local gun club involved. This may be difficult, because, as most of you that belong to gun clubs know, the general attitude of club members is they just want to show up and shoot, leaving the work to someone else.

2. Pick a 'neutral' location. A public library usually has conference/meeting rooms that can be reserved. Your community may have a community building/auditorium or a senior center.

3. Announce the event, something like "The Prairie Wings Gun Club Would Like to Host an Open Conversation About Firearms in out Community." Leaving flyers, or taping up announcement on gun store doors isn't enough, we already have those folks. Local radio stations will often give air time to public events, if it's a club endeavor, maybe pony up for a billboard.

4. Invite media. Let's be realistic, an event at the public library may not get a hundred folks, but if you get a newspaper reporter there, it is an easy story.

5. Tailor the message. Take the NSSF stuff and add local statistics.

6. Choose the right presenters. The overall moderator should be someone who is unflappable and quick on their feet. In our area I'd include someone to talk about the 4H and Boy Scout shooting programs as well as the high school trap program. I'd also include representatives of competitive/sporting disciplines to give the 'golf with a gun' outlook. Local NRA Instructors might also be good sources. Don't try to one-man-band it.

7. Have materials and resources available - firearms safety in the home brochures, NSSF Kids Contract, business cards/brochures for trainers and ranges. If a gun club sponsors the talk they should have a FREE introductory firearms class.

8. Rinse and Repeat.