Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12g Quad Stack Shot-Shell Caddy

Feedback Score

12g Quad Stack Shot-Shell Caddy

Hi All,

Thought I'd share one of my projects with you. It's a 12gauge 2-3/4 Shot-Shell Caddy that holds 28. I have completed the first physical prototype for a concept test and working on a polymer design currently. Mounting is done with straps and Velcro on a belt or chest rig on the current prototype, next generation will be configurable.

20190418_134649.jpg

Capacity: 28, 12g 2-3/4
    Mounting Orientation: Any
    Loading: By Hand
    Unloading: Remove 2 or 4 simultaneously
    Springs: Standard 30 round AR Magazine spring

20190418_134337.jpg
    20190418_134308.jpg
    20190418_134521.jpg

I've attached a video to help with the concept.

https://youtu.be/TyaOFJf6DZY[/video]

Let me know what you all think

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Pretty good idea.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    You prototype looks like it belongs in a computer server!
    Very cool idea, hope it works out for you.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Pretty cool. What are the dimensions?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Just under 2x5x8 inches, it is a brick and heavy when loaded, par for the course.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Very creative and nicely done! Are you going to keep it metal or have you had thoughts about a polymer implementation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Polymer is the intent with added internal geometry and reduced overall dimensions. I was able to do a job for some SS laser cut parts and used those for prototyping 4 complete units to test the concept, next step is 3D printing. In the end injection molding would be best for production and added strength. 3D printing even with the same polymers is typically weaker especially between the print layers.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Injection molding would be the way to do it but the mold cost alone is hard to justify unless you predicted sales volume is thousands a year. You look like you know your way around metal... Have you researched doing it out of tig welded aluminum plate?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Injection molding would be the way to do it but the mold cost alone is hard to justify unless you predicted sales volume is thousands a year. You look like you know your way around metal... Have you researched doing it out of tig welded aluminum plate?
    It is very doable in steel and aluminum. Plate if milled with the added geometry could be utilized; however, at much added cost and a multiparty assembly. Stamping would be lighter and likely stronger, but requires stamping dies and fastening including tig, spot, riveting, etc. For a large section an AL extrusion can be used at a much lower cost once a volume was achieved. Extrusion dies cost a few thousand and generally have minimum quantities to extrude. The other pieces at that point could be machined, stamped and molded at a lower cost. From an end product standpoint injection molded would be best for both price and performance; however, economy of scale plays a large factor as you stated.

A few challenges are presented if using sheet metal for the fabrication of the feed lip area, this sheet can be hard on your fingers even after rounding and sanding due to the thickness and resulting pressure (force/small area). This section for comfort must have enough thickness to smooth the radii and decrease the overall pressure when sliding out the shells. The current sheet steel prototypes can be a bit rough at .065" thickness.

Second is spring pressure, fully loaded pressure can be high using commonly available components such as 30 round magazine springs. Two rounds can be stripped out quite easily while 4 rounds presents a challenge currently. I have a few adjustments to make to ease this effort.

Thank you for the feedback and interest, it's appreciated

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    A problem that you'll run into for quad loading is that you can't get your fingers wrapped around the shells for the initial "pluck". Looks like you won't have a solid grip on them when they're released and the fumbling will offset any speed you've gained by loading quads.
    HIPPIES SMELL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast