Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry Gun Range Usage

Feedback Score

Carry Gun Range Usage

How hard do you guys run your carry guns when training at the range and at what point do you trust your life with it? Or, do you not like to put much wear on the gun and only shoot it sparingly?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I shoot my carry guns all the time. At first I'll run several hundred through them and usually after it eats 100 rounds of my preferred self defense rounds ill carry it. But I use them a lot, they all have thousands through them.

Feedback Score
    Trust is a few stages of confidence for me.

200 rds, 500 rds, 1000 rds. 1000+.

If it's a design with good history, say a Ruger revolver or Glock, I'll carry it after 200 rds but prefer not to.

But if its say, a used gun or a customized gun, or a new trigger work, etc, I'm going to need 500 rds at least of flawless operation.

I dont worry about wear. I shoot my carry guns. If I like it enough I'll buy a 2nd one, make sure it works, and keep the miles off it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I like to get at least 500-600 rounds, with no malfunctions that can't be definitively blamed on bad ammo, a bad mag, or operator stupidity, through any autoloading firearm before trusting it for carry, HD etc..
    Personally, I shoot my actual carry guns - a VP9, a VP9SK, and a Smith 638 J Frame - at the range just because I don't have multiples of them. I try to shoot my VPs every one to three weeks because I'm not a strong handgun shooter and I start to really suck pretty quickly if I go too long without practice. Conversely, because I also don't really enjoy handgun shooting, I usually limit each session to 50-100 rounds at a time because after that I start getting burned out and it becomes counter productive (compared to rifles, which I enjoy shooting and can easily go through hundreds of rounds if I don't stop myself)
    On my J-Frame, it's a gun I carry only during warmer weather and so I don't bother shooting it much during the winter. Now that warm weather is on the horizon I'll be starting to shoot it again soon.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I miss the days where you could buy a Glock, shoot a 50 round box, and be done. Then Glock screwed up the gen 3 guns (on of which I owned and suffered malfs)

I just carry a 20 year old G22. It's a little rough, but with a relatively new recoil spring assembly, I know I can trust it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    My carry gun is a G19. I have around 3k through it. I don't expect it to malfunction any time soon. People put lots of rounds through Glocks.
    Last edited by Zane1844; 04-19-19 at 12:36.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    On a new gun I’lll take all the magazines I will use with it and run several full magazine loads through each to be sure the gun/magazines/ammo are all playing nice together.

Once confident in it, I shoot the heck out of it whenever I go to the range with it. No coddling here. My carry guns are working guns. I carry them all the time off duty and as second guns on duty.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I shoot my carry guns all the time. I track the rounds fired and replace parts when needed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    I shoot my carry guns all the time. I track the rounds fired and replace parts when needed.
    I do that as well. I don't do it with *all* my guns but I do with my carry pistols and my ARs. My "collection" handguns like my Hi Power, or rifles like my AKs and SKSs, which I barely shoot nowadays, I don't bother keeping logs for.

Feedback Score
    I carry 3 different Glock 9mm’s a 19,26,43....all of my pistols have at least a cpl thousand rounds through them I can’t shoot as much as I used to since I went with all 9mm glocks I have 2 little ones now.... my 43 has around 3 or so my 26 has the least and I’m not sure about the 19 I’ve put around 4 through it but it’s a gen 2 when I got it I replaced all the springs in it and it’s been great they’ve all been flawless but to answer the question I feel confident in a carry gun after 500 rounds if it’s been good 100 of that being my carry ammo....I think it’s important to shoot what you will carry with you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast