Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry Gun Range Usage

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I shoot my CZ's like I own them.

Just a few thousand rds. through each, but they're relatively new.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After you've shot the pistol enough to familiarize yourself, shoot the pistol with your carry ammo - make sure it locks back on the last round in all mags; make sure all mags seat for in-battery reloads when fully loaded as YOU carry them; make sure all feed first round fully loaded from looked back and when being inserted under closed slide and hand cycling; make sure all drop free when empty or partially loaded; make sure all will feed from a mag with a single round both from locked back and hand cycling (pick up last mag dropped with one round scenario).

Shouldn't take hundreds of rounds of duty ammo to vet a pistol for carry.

Carry pistols need to be clean, as in when you shoot your carry pistol. clean it before you carry it. Why? So you can inspect it and function test it. A way to look at it is that your extractor is one round away from a chip, make sure it isn't chipped when you clean.

I think some guys go to extremes just to be seen as uber-prepared, not necessary.

Tell me, how many of you that espouse 100's of rounds before you carry, do one hundred 75 to 0 panic brakes before you trust the brakes in the car you drive your family around in? Thought so.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 04-19-19 at 20:45.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When I got modern, I bought a new plastic 9mm. Shot it and its two mags several hundred rounds to test reliability. Then at a gun show I saw a police trade in of the same gun cheap. Picked it up and some used mags. That's my training rig.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I carry, train and shoot weekend competitions with the same pistol. I'm knocking on 10K rounds on my current G19. I'll probably pass it on to my daughter (who loves it) and pick up a Gen 5 19 in the near future. One ammo related failure to feed in that time. I see no problem with identically setup pistols, but I'm a cheap ass and prefer to spend money on ammo than more guns.

Feedback Score
    The last few years that’s what I shoot predominantly as I don’t shoot as much as I used to. My EDC is a G19.4 with 17,800 rounds through it. I carried and shot a 2.0 Compact for a year or it would have more. I’ve changed the recoil spring a few times, that’s it. If I get into a schedule that allows me to shoot more I’ll get a duplicate or a Gen5.

Feedback Score
    I constantly train with my carry.....HK P30s.

carried since 2009, multiples of cases of ammo fired (both RA9T and training)...still goes bang.

It has two brothers, one with an RDS and one without.
    SHOOT MORE -POST LESS!!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    One test I like to add is a deliberate weak hold. To purpose is to simulate a weakened state if you suffered an injury, etc to insure the pistol will still run. Be mindful that I've yet to have a Glock fail doing this test using either 127+p+ or GD +p. 4 different 19's G2/3/4/5, 3 17's all G3, a 43/43X/48 and a Sig 320C (124+P GD)
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    One test I like to add is a deliberate weak hold. To purpose is to simulate a weakened state if you suffered an injury, etc to insure the pistol will still run. Be mindful that I've yet to have a Glock fail doing this test using either 127+p+ or GD +p. 4 different 19's G2/3/4/5, 3 17's all G3, a 43/43X/48 and a Sig 320C (124+P GD)
    Excellent point.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post

Tell me, how many of you that espouse 100's of rounds before you carry, do one hundred 75 to 0 panic brakes before you trust the brakes in the car you drive your family around in? Thought so.
    Well, I wouldn't take a trip in a vehicle without having several hundred miles on it. (Rentals excluded)
    But even with a rental I'll do a couple hard stops before I get far from the rental place. I would not call them panic stops though.

It has been my experience that if a pistol is still running perfectly after a 2nd range trip and 2-3 hundred rounds its probably fine.

But not always.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    You would screw up your brakes doing that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast