Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carry Gun Range Usage

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    After you've shot the pistol enough to familiarize yourself, shoot the pistol with your carry ammo - make sure it locks back on the last round in all mags; make sure all mags seat for in-battery reloads when fully loaded as YOU carry them; make sure all feed first round fully loaded from looked back and when being inserted under closed slide and hand cycling; make sure all drop free when empty or partially loaded; make sure all will feed from a mag with a single round both from locked back and hand cycling (pick up last mag dropped with one round scenario).

Shouldn't take hundreds of rounds of duty ammo to vet a pistol for carry.

Carry pistols need to be clean, as in when you shoot your carry pistol. clean it before you carry it. Why? So you can inspect it and function test it. A way to look at it is that your extractor is one round away from a chip, make sure it isn't chipped when you clean.

I think some guys go to extremes just to be seen as uber-prepared, not necessary.

Tell me, how many of you that espouse 100's of rounds before you carry, do one hundred 75 to 0 panic brakes before you trust the brakes in the car you drive your family around in? Thought so.
    Even then your car has been tested. It's been driven before its even for sale

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Even then your car has been tested. It's been driven before its even for sale
    How far? By whom? Under what conditions?

In case you didn't understand, I was just using that as an outlandish example.

Don't get me wrong, as I posted, you need to fire a pistol with what you carry, primarily to make sure the ammo functions out of your magazines and feeds correctly.

The point some of you aren't getting is that beyond that, you aren't doing much except burning ammo, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Given the probability that you will need your pistol compared to the probability you will need the brakes, tires, etc. on your vehicle in an emergency, which should you spend more time vetting? Just not as high speed/serious end user to talk about that on the internet.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The other thing is all of my magazines get run in for a period of time. I am making sure they function 100% and that the parts get worn in together.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With modern guns using modern manufacturing this is all a bit extreme. I function test a new gun with a mag or two and make sure my poa/poi is good then carry on. I also train regularly with my carry gun. I don’t even try to keep track of rounds.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Spares for carry guns. One to carry, one to shoot.
    Benchmark loads to test function on arrival. No pass, no keep.
    Several hundred rounds of commonly used loads preferred, but benchmarks are pretty predictive.

High standards and maybe overkill, but it keeps confidence up and problems virtually nonexistent.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Tell me, how many of you that espouse 100's of rounds before you carry, do one hundred 75 to 0 panic brakes before you trust the brakes in the car you drive your family around in? Thought so.
    You are trying to use the extreme case ("panic brakes") in comparison to regular activity (shooting a couple hundred rounds).

Apples and Oranges.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    You are trying to use the extreme case ("panic brakes") in comparison to regular activity (shooting a couple hundred rounds).

Apples and Oranges.
    Carry guns are for life/death situation.

If I was going to be driving towards a brick wall at 50mph and slamming on the brakes- yes I would test them first.
    Second, guns are not vehicle breaking systems.

As for me- I used to run my ccw guns hard, but I think I wore my frame out so I bought a competition/carry gun any my worn out one will be a training/HD piece once its fixed/rebuilt.

If you are not gonna wear a gun out, I shoot a few full mags, reloads, plus ones, etc and call it good.
    Round count alone isnt a good measure if reliability depending on how you test vs how you carry/shoot.
    Ive actually found uspsa matches to bring out the worst in guns.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-20-19 at 19:02.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123