Thread: EMP "1911" Style 9mm reliability

Feedback Score

EMP "1911" Style 9mm reliability

Did a search here and really didn`t find anything that is current data on the EMP reliability .

Reason for asking is my significant other can`t handle the recoil anymore on her XDs 45 due to arthritis . She loves the gun and can group good at 10 yards , just punishes her hand and therefore she doesn`t practice anymore . Also , she would like to have more than 6 rounds available .

We`ve tried my M&P 2.0 Compact , PPQ`s , P01 ( she likes the PCR ) , G19 , FNS and several others in 9mm . All were comfortable to shoot , but a little big for her .

So , yesterday we went to the LGS and since it was a slow day , they let her handle a bunch .... she kept going back to the SA EMP with grip safety as that`s what she`s familiar with. My question is , I seem to remember that the EMP had a spotty record for reliability when it was first introduced and I`m wondering if that`s still true .

FWIW , my SA TRP / 45 hasn`t missed a beat .

Just looking for feedback as she will make the final choice ( don`t they always .... just want her choice to have a good reliability record ).

Thanks

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I had an EMP4 and it was flawless and ate everything I put through it. I put some G10 grips on it and it felt quite good in the hand. I got rid of it because the grip was a little small for me. The one thing I have read was any issues with the EMP have been corrected by Springfield. Did you try the Glock 43X. Maybe another option for her. Good luck. David

Feedback Score
    I guess anyone can have teething problems . What I was looking for was if the teething/reliability problems I had heard about had been corrected in the latest version, which from what you say , they have .
    As with any gun I plan to use as an EDC , it ( and the magazines ) would have to go through 500 rounds and a box of the SD ammo with no failures before it is relied on .

Thanks

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Did you try the new Sig 365, it had initial problems as well? But I hear they have been corrected. When you say those gun were too big, how the grip, barrel overall....?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I think she`s looking for a unicorn ..... something the size of her XDs but with 10 + round capacity. Hadn`t considered the 365 , but heading to the Upstate next week or so to a store that has a full selection of CZ , Glock and a large inventory of other guns for her to try . She likes the CZ PCR and the Springfield EMP4 so far as feel , and really likes a grip safety . May even be able to rent one .... don`t know yet on that though .
    Likes my CZ P01 from CGW and shoots it well. Shoots my SA TRP/.45 very well ... just way to big and heavy for a carry gun for her .

When I said too big for her , she plans on carrying it in her shoulder bag in the breakaway compartment on the back .... weight was her first concern , then size .

Who knows , this may be an excuse for me to pick a CZ 75B manual safety .... after all , she got one ! It`s worth a try.