Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm not "digging" my new LE6960 as much as I expected.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Any Idea who make the 6960 barrel?
    Why would you think Colt is no longer making their own barrels?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    How is one to know what they make?

Feedback Score
    I have experienced similar let down with a Colt, but mine is a 6920 to me it's just another M4 nothing spectacular, it's rugged as hell and has proven reliability but for some reason I'm just not feeling the gun, so I am giving it to my son for his 18th birthday the least I can do with the world being stupid is send him out well armed.

In the 6960 I'd try different ammo, and shoot the hell out of it it may grow on you or you may get rid of it.
    I'm not as big of a fan of the Hartford Horsey anymore especially since there are better options available these days with the market being what it is, kind of feel that Colt has rested on their laurels and not truly done anything to keep up with the market developments. It'd like seeing the Lone Ranger without his mask, sort of loses the mystique.
    Last edited by Hammered_Pair; 04-22-19 at 21:34.
    Veteran US Army Combat Medic/US Navy FMF Corpsman

"Well placed gun fire is the best preventive medicine."

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Funny thing is my 6920 Trooper bought over the holidays, which is my first 'complete' AR purchase, is great. Feels lighter / handier than I thought it would, part of that is likely the Centurion handguards but I really really like it when I was just expecting a Mark 1 Mod 0 AR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammered_Pair View Post
    ...to me it's just another M4 nothing spectacular, it's rugged as hell and has proven reliability.....

I'm not as big of a fan of the Hartford Horsey anymore especially since there are better options available these days with the market being what it is, kind of feel that Colt has rested on their laurels and not truly done anything to keep up with the market developments. It'd like seeing the Lone Ranger without his mask, sort of loses the mystique.
    This pretty much sums up my thoughts. The department from which I retired has a number of Colts. They are all good, solid, boringly traditional rifles. (Well, one came with bad gas rings and didn’t work well. But that was easily remedied.) Colt seems to be pretty much what it was years ago. They keep plugging along making old school Modern Sporting Rifles. They aren’t the prettiest, nor does Colt seem to have heard about some newer cartridges, but the damn things work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    According to this 2018 article, United Auto Workers Local 376 filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in New Haven alleging that Colt is outsourcing barrels.

Excerpt-

Colt’s informed the union in October that it would outsource all manufacturing of major rifle components, including the two most significant parts, bolts and barrels, to outside vendors, the UAW said.

Colt’s notified the union on Feb. 16 that it would proceed with planned layoffs and did so five days later, cutting about 74 workers from the payroll, the UAW said. The union said about 288 members of the collective bargaining unit remain, down from 506 in October 2016.

Colt’s told the union “financial conditions” forced it to use outsourcing to reduce costs, the union said in its lawsuit.

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...305-story.html

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    According to this 2018 article, United Auto Workers Local 376 filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in New Haven alleging that Colt is outsourcing barrels.

Excerpt-

Colt’s informed the union in October that it would outsource all manufacturing of major rifle components, including the two most significant parts, bolts and barrels, to outside vendors, the UAW said.

Colt’s notified the union on Feb. 16 that it would proceed with planned layoffs and did so five days later, cutting about 74 workers from the payroll, the UAW said. The union said about 288 members of the collective bargaining unit remain, down from 506 in October 2016.

Colt’s told the union “financial conditions” forced it to use outsourcing to reduce costs, the union said in its lawsuit.

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...305-story.html
    To be fair, Colt has outsourced some part of their barrel production for years (if not decades).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammered_Pair View Post
    I have experienced similar let down with a Colt, but mine is a 6920 to me it's just another M4 nothing spectacular, it's rugged as hell and has proven reliability but for some reason I'm just not feeling the gun, so I am giving it to my son for his 18th birthday the least I can do with the world being stupid is send him out well armed.
    I'm promise that I'm not being facetious, but what were you expecting that the 6920 let you down? Same to O.P. and the 6960?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    To be fair, Colt has outsourced some part of their barrel production for years (if not decades).

That’s what I’ve read as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    Like nearly every other 'manufacturer' out there.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast