Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel profile question?

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)

Barrel profile question?

Looking for a barrel for a new build. I don't really want a M4 profile barrel but have seen a few other options but have no experience or knowledge of these.

I see on a few websites list "light weight" but not sure if that is a "pencil profile" or not. I see "government profile" and to me, it looks like a standard "M4" profile without the grenade ring cut out. Also, I see on a few websites "BA Hanson" and really not sure what that is.

Can anyone elaborate?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    What are you looking for?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Light weight varies by brand so you will have to look at a drawing or listed weight and make sure what is getting weighed (ie, barrel only or fsb, gas block, and so on).

Usually government profile like an M16A2/A4 barrel, thin under handguards and thicker forward of the gas block and seem to usually be used on mid length gas systems. I think I have seen 20" M16A1 & A2/A4 barrels as government profile too.

https://ballisticadvantage.com/hanso...son-series-556

I am interested in barrels that gradually taper to a thinner diameter at the muzzle such as:

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...rels-s/209.htm

https://faxonfirearms.com/16-gunner-...ngth-4150-qpq/

And BRT is another taper barrel I was trying to recall the name of.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 05-18-19 at 18:50.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    What are you looking for?
    I went hog hunting with a friend of mine ( he kills approx. 500 during the summer months). The problem: we have to park off property, them walk about 20 minutes to get into a john boat an travel up river a ways and then walk another 30-40 minutes to get to where we need to be. UTV's, motorcycles and four wheelers are out of the question (no roads) and nothing but mesquite trees and cactus. My personal suppressed MK18-ish is perfect with the PEQ 15 while wearing NVG's but heavy. Too heavy for all the walking I have to do to get to the property that he likes to hunt on while carrying a backpack full of equipment for a 4-5 hour hunt- then carry it all back to the cars.. So I want to build a extremely light weight no frills 16" 556. Something I can carry without getting fatigued but also maintain accuracy.

Anyways: What is a BA Hanson profile?
    Last edited by elephant; 05-18-19 at 19:06.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The BA Hanson is a medium-weight barrel.

Feedback Score
    Try a 16" BCM ELW barrel. You can decide whether you want to fork up the extra $70 to make it a hammer forged one or not. It isn't a "match" barrel by any means, and your Mk18 will smoke it accuracy-wise. But it will get the job done and swings very well. It has the weight distributed in the smartest fashion: heavier back around the chamber with a continuous taper out towards the muzzle.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 05-19-19 at 08:19.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The BCM ELW, BA Hanson, BRT Optimum barrels have a continuous taper from the chamber to the muzzle. The .625" versions of these barrels will weigh 22-24 ounces. BCM is chrome lined.

Sionics makes a chrome lined lightweight 16" midlength barrel that weighs 22 ounces and the barrel with low profile gas block (LPGB) costs $219 - $90 less than the bare BCM ELW.

Black River Tactical (BRT) is selling their closeout 16" Optimum Light barrels for $245 with a LPGB. They weigh 24 ounces and use an extended gas system length.

The BA Hanson barrels come with a pinned LPGB and run a bit cheaper than the other barrels I mentioned. You have to be a little careful - they make both .750 and .625 versions of the 16" midlength. The .625 is (Captain Obvious) lighter.

The Faxon Gunner and Pencil barrels are another choice and the pencil is about the lightest 16" barrel around. The reviews on the Faxon Pencil barrels here have been mixed.

There are many other barrels out there of course, but that should give you a selection to check out. I don't think you could lose with BCM, Sionics, BRT or BA, and the choice comes down to price and features.

Andy

P.S. Government profile normally means .750 from gas block to muzzle. Pencil is normally .625 gas block, barrel slightly thinner than that from the gas block to muzzle. An M16A2 is Government profile, M16A1 is pencil. They are the same from chamber to gas block.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-18-19 at 21:14.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I've used the Sionics LW and the BRT LW. I'm happy with both of them. I'd also consider the BRT LPR. The BRT has an extended gas drive, and can be set up to shoot incredibly smoothly.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I've used the Sionics LW and the BRT LW. I'm happy with both of them. I'd also consider the BRT LPR. The BRT has an extended gas drive, and can be set up to shoot incredibly smoothly.
    I also have a BRT LW and like it.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Looking at building something similar to a 653/654 but with a flat top. Which barrel profile is used on that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast