Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introducing Grandson to the AR

Feedback Score
    As mentioned use the standard sights and controls so to enable the child to learn the basics. My son of 9 shot his first IPSC match yesterday and was not last. He only shot part of match due to safety reasons, but with basics under the belt he did very well.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I introduced my son by letting him shoot off the bench with an Lmt STD16 equipped with a TA01NSN Acog at 100 yrds. His first group was the size of my fist. My personal opinion is to make a new shooter's first shoot a successful, low stress event to encourage them to continue in this pursuit...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Too bad about the Tannerite, but clay pigeons and charcoal briquettes will likely be more fun than punching holes in paper.

I think shooting with a red dot is a great idea. IMHO the iron sights thing is more tradition than practicality, especially for an AR-15. Besides, it doesn’t sound like you’re trying to teach him to shoot...you’re orienting him to the AR-15. RDS is part of that platform. Presumably, since he already has a .22 for squirrels, he knows how to shoot. As to the “complexity” of the AR-15...if he’s a normal 14 year-old he’ll do fine and will find the experience more interesting than if you dumb it down excessively.

I do agree with starting off shooting from the bench, and with limited rounds in the magazine.
    Last edited by Hmac; 04-21-19 at 10:25.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Shoot at something reactive. Some steel, maybe some falling plates.
    EXACTLY! I just invested in 3 diferent reactive types of targets, to teach my 13 y.o. daughter the same! I might hold off the tannerite at a club range, though.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12