Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Grandson to the AR

Feedback Score

Introducing Grandson to the AR

My Grandson ( 14 yrs ) has said he wants to go to the range next time I take one of my AR`s out . He currently has a .410 over and under and a .22 he squirrel hunts with ( supervised , on private land ) , so he has some experience . FWIW , I bought my first .22 when I was 12 and still have it ( Winchester Mdl 69A ).

What suggestions do you guys have to make this a fun , and safe , intro ( private range/gun club and also with the father`s permission ) ?

Probably start him on my beater PSA with a red dot and then go to the Colt 6920 .

First step will be a rule/safety "discussion " .

Looking forward to starting a new shooter on the AR journey .

Thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Shoot at something reactive. Some steel, maybe some falling plates. If you really want to get his attention, pick up some Tannerite.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The AR has 6 controls, so that can be a bit of a learning curve vs the 2-4 found on most guns.

Start out with 1 round in the mag and work up from there as you both gain confidence in his weapon handing skills.

Have fun!
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    I picked up a 15-22 for the kids. They started with a Cricket and graduated to this and a Ruger RPR with a bipod. Next will be full-size ARs as I can afford them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Start out shooting off the bench.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    The AR has 6 controls, so that can be a bit of a learning curve vs the 2-4 found on most guns.

Start out with 1 round in the mag and work up from there as you both gain confidence in his weapon handing skills.

Have fun!
    Wat bro

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I'd spend at least 30-45 minutes dry firing and manipulating the controls. Then going hot with only 1 round in each of 8-10 magazines. Up the number of rounds loaded by one until you reach 5. I wouldn't go past 5 on the first day. Make him load the magazines. Repetition is the best teaching tool. As much fun as he probably thinks it would be I wouldn't allow mag dumps. Make him aim before sending one downrange. Last but not least... Don't turn your back on him if the rifle and ammunition are within his arm's reach. Accidents cannot happen without the opportunity to happen. Empty firearms have hurt many people.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 63Qcode View Post
    My Grandson ( 14 yrs ) has said he wants to go to the range next time I take one of my AR`s out . He currently has a .410 over and under and a .22 he squirrel hunts with ( supervised , on private land ) , so he has some experience . FWIW , I bought my first .22 when I was 12 and still have it ( Winchester Mdl 69A ).

What suggestions do you guys have to make this a fun , and safe , intro ( private range/gun club and also with the father`s permission ) ?

Probably start him on my beater PSA with a red dot and then go to the Colt 6920 .

First step will be a rule/safety "discussion " .

Looking forward to starting a new shooter on the AR journey .

Thanks
    First, a question. Do you have iron sights on the PSA? If so, I would start him off using iron sights before moving to the red-dot. Once he shows some proficiency with the iron sights, then move him into the optic. As some others have mentioned, start him with a few rounds per magazine, but I would work him up to 10 rounds if possible. That will be determined by your judgment and his grasp of the weapon operating system. As far as targets, I would recommend setting up some clays (if possible) as they would be relatively cheap and a less of a chance for a ricochet as could happen with steel targets. Of course, having a safety briefing and a discussion on operating the AR-15 is paramount before getting started. I hope the two of you have fun.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    All good suggestions and comments . Unfortunately , or maybe fortunately , no tannerite allowed as we had some problems with large craters appearing damaging the range . I had planned to use charcoal brickets as they will "explode" and make a nice visual reference , but the clays will probably be easier to hit for him.
    We have a bench rest and benches we can use . He liked the PSA as it was lighter than the BCM or the SOLGW , but no iron sights on it , however , the 6920 does have irons and is about the same weight as the PSA .

Good suggestion about one round first .... hadn`t thought about that .

Thanks

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My son son is 14 and has been shooting ARs since he was 10. He can handle the rifle like it is second nature- you will be surprised how fast kids will learn. Paper targets are great for getting him zeroed in and steel targets are a lot of fun. Steel targets are my son's favorite so l have several set up around my property. I second the iron sights as it really teaches them the fundamentals of marksmanship. Also, I make my kids recite the four rules of firearm safety before every range session, hunting trip, etc.... They could do it in their sleep and I constantly reinforce it.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast