Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 260 Remington in the AR platform

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)

260 Remington in the AR platform

Been a fan of 260 Remington for a long time. Longer than 6.5 Creedmore has even been a thing but for some damn reason I can never get it to run in a semi auto.

I’ve tried multiple different guns, different barrel makes, but I can’t get it to cycle reliably. The latest build I tried it in was, and yes I’m gonna be shunned, a Diamondback DB10 that I had swapped the factory 308 barrel for a Ballistic Advantage 16in 308 Hanson Profile barrel. With that setup the gun functions flawlessly and with 168 FGMM ammo it shoots MOA or better from 100 to 400 which is all the distance I have.

I swapped out 2 separate barrel makes (Liberty/Satern Barrels 18in Stainless barrel in 260 Rem and a Shilen 20in Stainless in 260 Rem) and the gun will not cycle. It will do a multitude of things. From Bolt Override of the next round, to locking the bolt and spent cases up tight, to stovepipe and double feed to a combination of multiple of those.

Out of both of those barrels, multiple different types of magazines and multiple different ammo types, I consistently have the same issues, but when I swap back to the 308 BA Hanson barrel, the gun runs flawless.

I’ve tried the barrels on 4 other manufacturers of 308 AR’s as well and have the same exact issues.

Anyone got any suggestions on what could be causing this? I’d really really like to get this 260 Rem AR thing to work.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFArmsCo View Post
    Been a fan of 260 Remington for a long time. Longer than 6.5 Creedmore has even been a thing but for some damn reason I can never get it to run in a semi auto.

I’ve tried multiple different guns, different barrel makes, but I can’t get it to cycle reliably. The latest build I tried it in was, and yes I’m gonna be shunned, a Diamondback DB10 that I had swapped the factory 308 barrel for a Ballistic Advantage 16in 308 Hanson Profile barrel. With that setup the gun functions flawlessly and with 168 FGMM ammo it shoots MOA or better from 100 to 400 which is all the distance I have.

I swapped out 2 separate barrel makes (Liberty/Satern Barrels 18in Stainless barrel in 260 Rem and a Shilen 20in Stainless in 260 Rem) and the gun will not cycle. It will do a multitude of things. From Bolt Override of the next round, to locking the bolt and spent cases up tight, to stovepipe and double feed to a combination of multiple of those.

Out of both of those barrels, multiple different types of magazines and multiple different ammo types, I consistently have the same issues, but when I swap back to the 308 BA Hanson barrel, the gun runs flawless.

I’ve tried the barrels on 4 other manufacturers of 308 AR’s as well and have the same exact issues.

Anyone got any suggestions on what could be causing this? I’d really really like to get this 260 Rem AR thing to work.
    The .260 barrels don't work on anything, and the .308 barrels work just fine? That rules out the BCG. You are dealing with a gas issue. Most of you malfunctions sound like under gassed. Bolt overide is usually not enough gas. Cases not ejecting with bolt stuck.. lack of gas, double feed is failure to extract but with enough BCG movement to pick up the next round and jamb it into the fired brass.. lack of gas.

Have you fired one round and see if the rifle will lock back on the empty mag?

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Now that you mention it, I have done that and it doesn’t lock back. I’ll try an adjustable gas block
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

----------------------

----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    How will an adjustable gas block increase your gas? Won't that only allow you to restrict gas flow more?

Feedback Score
    An adjustable gas block cannot give you more gas. It can only restrict gas flow, it cannot possibly increase gas flow. Drilling out the gas port to the next larger size, however, will increase gas flow. Do it yourself, or farm it out. But if you are low on gas, this is the answer.

Or, possibly, a lighter buffer and/or action (recoil) spring...

Now that you mention it, I have done that and it doesn’t lock back. I’ll try an adjustable gas block
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascally View Post
    An adjustable gas block cannot give you more gas. It can only restrict gas flow, it cannot possibly increase gas flow. Drilling out the gas port to the next larger size, however, will increase gas flow. Do it yourself, or farm it out. But if you are low on gas, this is the answer.

Or, possibly, a lighter buffer and/or action (recoil) spring...
    Correct. Evidently I fat fingered the post whole time on my phone and deleted the part about wanting the adjustable gas block for use with Suppressor. My dad owns a Wire Drawing Die manufacturinging planet and has check pin gauges in the .0001-4.000 inch range in stupidly small incremental increasing ranges so I’ll check what the port size is and slowly work it up.

Got a PM from another member who was having the exact same issues with same caliber on semi auto guns. He tried a couple things and suggested I give them a shot as well, KAK makes a dual ejector bolt, said he dropped that in along with opening gas port bigger and using an adjustable gas block and no longer had any issues. Worth giving it a shot cause I sold my 260 bolt gun to build this project so I’ve got 2500rds of FGMM 142’s and handloads to the FGMM spec that I’d like to be able to ise
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

----------------------

----------------------

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Ran down to the old mans shop. Gas port is .078.

For 260 Remington I’m not entirely sure what is small and what is larger on gas port sizing. Anyone have any info on that?
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

----------------------

----------------------

Feedback Score
    The port in the gas block is nearly always larger than the port in the barrel. Just start to enlarge the barrel port (.079, test; .080, test; etc.) until you get consistent lock back on last shot. I'd surely go slow, you don't want to go too far too fast. Then maybe go one step larger to account for the occasional weak round. At that point, if you're planning on a suppressor, you can think about an adjustable GB.

For 260 Remington I’m not entirely sure what is small and what is larger on gas port sizing. Anyone have any info on that?
    Last edited by Rascally; 04-21-19 at 19:12.
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

.078 is right about spec. Has your testing been with handloads or factory ammo. If handloads, go get a box of factory stuff and see what happens.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 04-22-19 at 01:22.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    .078 is right about spec. Has your testing been with handloads or factory ammo. If handloads, go get a box of factory stuff and see what happens.
    All shooting has been done without FGMM ammo so far as my handloads I’ve got left over are built around the bolt gun I had in 260 Remington. Thinking maybe open the gas port up slowly until I get complete reliability, then use an adjustable gas block
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

----------------------

----------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast