Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any experience with the m600df and the HL-x?

Feedback Score
    I have both, they both work great. Bought the streamlight rechargeable battery for the hlx, cost $16. Buy whichever fits your budget.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Anyone have any experience with the m600df and the HL-x?

I was impressed with the brightness of the Streamlight for the price. Spill was very good but I didn’t do much of a comparison between the two since I didn’t like the form factor on it. It’s significantly bulkier than any of my Surefires and as mentioned, part of the pressure pad is significantly elevated and very sensitive. The gun I was mounting it on had limited options for placement and I had constant light NDs just playing with it in the house. The role of the gun it was on is a beater CQB gun, and I didn’t need the light performance so I replaced it with a smaller M300/Malkoff that I had on hand. FWIW I have that M300, another M300, an M600U, and the M600DF as far as scout lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd like to plug the new Malkoff E2HT head. Output isn't tremendous but the beam is tight. I can easily light up the mailboxes down the road about 100 yards away. If a person was there it would be pretty easy to identify who it is and what he's carrying, etc. Nice upgrade to an older scout for a bit north of $100.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I went with Modlite. I considered a DF head for it, but prefer the throw of the modlite head. Here is mine, targets at 100m, 3m apart.

30 minute runtime, and my scale gets it at 3.6oz, but I trust Modlites published 4oz more.

Here is the HLX, handheld, 1000L

*My modlite is around 1250 lumens and uses a warm emitter. Their normal production ones will be 1500 and use a cooler emitter.
    Is the beam pictured the OKW?
    Theres not much difference in the SFDF and the the Modlight PLH except $350 vs $269 for the SFDF

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I dont have experience with the HL-x but I have been using it's little brother the protac2 for almost 2 years now. I dont mind the tape switch like others are complaining about. Infact I usually prefer the switch mechanism in streamlites too surefires. When it comes to brand prefernces I have spent my own money and been issued surefire products in the past. Going forward I only plan on buying streamlites. I worked nights for years and saw dozens of dead surefires and surprisingly less dead streamlites. Insight is complete trash in my experience. My take away from my own expeiernce is that both brands will eventually fail, and light technology has such a rapid pace of development that it doesnt make sense to spend extra on surefire. I have an extremely aged surefire x300 and strealite 2 cell that both still work, but I wouldnt carry anymore because they simply under perform.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I had a chance to compare an HLX side-by-side with my M600DF the other night. One distinct difference was the hotspot/throw between the two lights. I'm not sure of the specs on the Streamlight, but it appears to have quite a bit more candela than the Surefire. This typically isn't an issue for me on a normal night, as the Surefire still has plenty of throw for PID at 100 yards. The issue I found was with the amount of humidity we've had here in NE Oklahoma lately (record flooding in our area has made the humidity terrible). The Streamlight just seemed to "punch" through the thick air better than my Surefire. The humidity resembled smoke/fog when the light was activated, and the more focused throw of the Streamlight certainly had an advantage of the Surefire DF.

I still like the Surefire DF and plan to keep using it on all of my non magnified rifles. I've found the beam pattern works well indoors, and is great for using the ambient light from the spill to light up hallways/rooms without directly aiming the weapon at what it is you want to put light on. I will say I think Surefire would be well served to release a version of the DF that has a more focused hotspot, as it certainly has it's advantages in certain situations.

One thing of note; The Streamlight was a friends, and he informed me he has experienced issues with the light shutting off randomly during recoil. He ended up getting the tail cap replaced and it's not had issues since. My Surefire DF is running a tailcap only and has been 100%.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Is the beam pictured the OKW?
    Theres not much difference in the SFDF and the the Modlight PLH except $350 vs $269 for the SFDF
    That's the PLH, I recognize the beam pattern (I bought the same light). The biggest advantage over the SFDF is the size with the Modlite. The beam in the top picture is from a Mini-scout/M300 sized light. They have the same output if you get the longer or shorter version it just changes runtime.

For me, it came down to the SFDF, 18350 PLH, or Cloud OWL so my reasoning went as follows;

The Duel Fuel Surefire has some reports of being less than reliable due to the vast array of batteries it will run and the needed electronics to deal with the different specs. Sometimes combos don't jive and the cause permanent damage. The pro for me was price ($220 or so new with mount from a local business)

The Modlites did not come with a mounting option and only come stock with a clicky tail-cap. Where it shines is size and weight. Can't beat that output in a light that size. And at the end of a rail, weight is a factor.

The OWL is self contained and actually the cheapest option to get mount, tape switches, etc all in one package at $350 street price. The downside is weight, at nearly 3 times the weight of the Modlite and possibly limited mounting options (like if you are trying to run IR/NODS)

I ended up with the Modlite because of a good deal I got on a second hand/demo unit (actually the one in the post you originally commented on, if the poster is who I think he is) which negated the price issues with the other models. Size and weight won the day for me once price wasn't a factor.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I'd like to plug the new Malkoff E2HT head. Output isn't tremendous but the beam is tight. I can easily light up the mailboxes down the road about 100 yards away. If a person was there it would be pretty easy to identify who it is and what he's carrying, etc. Nice upgrade to an older scout for a bit north of $100.

That head has a lot of reach and punches above its weight. I’m pretty happy with mine.

I’ve not used the HL-X.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I’m debating on the modlite vs the Surefire m600. I originally wanted the hlx but too many people who recommended it went away from it due to poor reliability with the tape switch.

The 35min duration on the modlite seems very low compared to the 1.5 hr Surefire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsfame18 View Post
    I originally wanted the hlx but too many people who recommended it went away from it due to poor reliability with the tape switch.
    Streamlight has a "gen2" tape switch that we have not used yet. It may or may not be more reliable.

One option is the Arisaka tail cap adapter. It threads right onto the Streamlight body and accepts any Scout tail cap. Down side is it adds half an inch or so additional length to the whole assembly.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast