Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barrel lining - beyond chrome lining

Feedback Score

Barrel lining - beyond chrome lining

Gents,

I am looking to go beyond hard chrome for barrel lining; having seen some problems with chrome-lined barrels recently. On dozens of 5.56 barrels, chrome is teared from throat & muzzle after roughly 3000 rounds...pretty disappointing.

So, I am studying the various "new" treatments now existing. Of course, there is nitriding, so widely used today. But is there anyone who tried Co-P-SiC coating ? (US patent US2012/0247962 A1)

I am not a chemist but, from what I understand, it would be a pretty good candidate to replace hard chrome for barrel lining.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Are there accuracy or velocity problems with the barrels you are referring to ? I'm just curious, since most people like their chrome lined barrels.

Feedback Score
    I would also have to ask who made the chrome lined barrels the OP mentions?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    LiFe is a new treatment that Parker Trutec is offering, they advertise it as the next generation of ferric nitrocarburizing. I have a cobalt kinetics barrel that is LiFe treated that hopefully I can get some high round counts through.

‘LiFe Process offers in comparison to our traditional nitride, creates a smoother (less porosity) surface finish, this imparts higher corrosion resistance and lubricity characteristics. The hardness and depth are almost identical to the QPQ process. Most firearms manufacturers are reporting a major increase on wear properties also. In my opinion the oxide is also a deeper black with the LiFe process. This process is unique to Parker TruTec MMI and the Tennessee plant we are the only company in the U.S. doing anything like this using nitrocarburizing.’
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    We all know that's going to happen for any chrome-lined Barrel. I'm just wondering if that's part of the normal life or if he is seeing problems earlier than normal. I don't know what the generally accepted service life from a chrome-lined Barrel that has not been abused is, but I would expect past 10,000 rounds. I could be totally wrong.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Ive never seen a QUALITY chrome lined barrel peel at 3k.

Would like to hear of all these barrels the OP is talking about.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    According to the description on this chrome lined barrel it has a 20,000 round service life. I happen to have this one and its stamped FN.

The CHF collection of barrels from Spike’s Tactical are known for their incredible durability. Cold hammer forging hardens the steel around a rifled mandrel, which creates the lands and grooves of the barrel. Each barrel blank is certified CMV material and hard chrome-lined to the M249 SAW mil-spec for a thickness close to 2x as much as a mil-spec M4. That thickness gives this 5.56-chambered, 11.5” barrel a 20,000+ round service life!
    Last edited by prepare; 04-21-19 at 18:29.

Feedback Score
    Stellite liners?

Tantalum lining?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    Ive never seen a QUALITY chrome lined barrel peel at 3k.

Would like to hear of all these barrels the OP is talking about.
    I as well. I haven't ever seen a chrome line barrel peel at any point. It isn't like cheap ass bumper chrome. I've seen them worn through and eroded away, but that was always pretty much past the 10K mark.

Feedback Score
    Well, those are, indeed, FN barrels. M249 type.

The old ones, some made 30 years ago, are still going strong but dozens of the new ones are keyholing after only a 2-3 thousand shots.

And it's true keyholing, with 25 rounds keyholing out of 30 shots fired at a 15m-away target.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast