Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BCM Pistol Lower and Gen 3 Pmags

Feedback Score

BCM Pistol Lower and Gen 3 Pmags

My next AR is going to be an 11.5", and I'm leaning towards BCM. I keep reading about how some BCM lowers won't accept Gen 3 Pmags, which happens to be the most numerous kind of my magazines. Is this a deal breaker for any of you? I suppose if I get one that doesn't accept Gen 3s I could just buy and use Gen 2s, but this is going to be my bump in the night gun and general do-it-all AR (classes, range, home defense, etc).

As of right now I was going to get a BCM pistol lower w/ brace while I wait for the SBR paperwork to come back.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My BCM lower takes gen 3 pmags just fine. Only one of my lowers is a BCM though, small sample size.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    My BCM power takes gen 3 pmags just fine.

Feedback Score
    I have three lowers that won't drop free G3s: BCM, KAC SR15, KAC USGI lower. Gen2s work fine and drop free, but not Gen3s. If I recall BCM stated that some Pmags are sized differently in one dimension that the milspecs don't control for. I forget which it was though.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    My 2c:

No matter what lower you get - don't buy sight unseen. Even if it costs you a $20-50 extra just buy it locally - you'll be able to see and test it personally to make sure you're happy with it. That's probably the main issue with regulated items that you can't really easily exchange it.

There have been too many cases on this site where people were excited to buy something unique, or cheap, or not available locally and then discovered a blemish or some issue (actual or perceived) and were unhappy about it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Some people havent had an issue and some have. As reported even other high end manufactures seem to have issues.

I dont know why people are so hesitant to take a small ammount of sand paper to polymer if "drop free" is that important too you. Call it 'custom gunsmithing', 'tactical clearancing' or what ever you want. I have over 30 PMags from G2 -G3 and have never noticed an issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    My 2c:

No matter what lower you get - don't buy sight unseen. Even if it costs you a $20-50 extra just buy it locally - you'll be able to see and test it personally to make sure you're happy with it. That's probably the main issue with regulated items that you can't really easily exchange it.

There have been too many cases on this site where people were excited to buy something unique, or cheap, or not available locally and then discovered a blemish or some issue (actual or perceived) and were unhappy about it.
    If I could I’d buy locally, in person, in a heartbeat so I could inspect it before giving my money. Unfortunately, that’s not an option. Nowhere around here has what I’m looking for. In the past I’ve ordered a gun that was defective, and I was able to return it upon inspection at my FFL because I hadn’t done the paperwork yet.

Feedback Score
    WTF? I just bought a LMT lower and it won’t drop Gen2’s. I thought Gen 3s were closer to the dimensions of a GI mag on top of addressing the the feed angle need for the new army ammo.

I was looking at BCM fir another build but may have to cross that off the list. Both my Colts work fine with all mags so I’m not sure I believe this mil spec excuse.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I have had lowers that have had drop free issues, I dont own them anymore. I am of the opinion that any lower I own must work with all magazines that I own, meaning pmags, usgi, tango down, emags, Daniel Defence, and lancers. I would consider all those quality magazines. If a lower does not work with them I dont continue to own the lower.

The BCM issue I think you are referring to has to do with the overtravel tab of the Gen 3 PMAG not allowing the mag to fully seat into the lower. If I recall correctly it's a small % of lowers that have this issue. I still recommend BCM to friends and family but tell them to bring a Gen 3 PMAG to test for when they go to pick up their new AR or lower. To me this issue is far more egregious than the drop free issue but others disagree.

As mentioned previously try to buy local and if you can't, test before you do any paperwork and use a good FFL that will send it back if you reject it. Don't think that you can deal with it later with the company as with the BCM issue they may tell you it's the PMAG that out of spec.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    WTF? I just bought a LMT lower and it won’t drop Gen2’s. I thought Gen 3s were closer to the dimensions of a GI mag on top of addressing the the feed angle need for the new army ammo.

I was looking at BCM fir another build but may have to cross that off the list. Both my Colts work fine with all mags so I’m not sure I believe this mil spec excuse.
    That's the thing, it sounds like if it can happen with BCM, LMT, and KAC lowers, it can happen with anyone's. I've been reading on here about people with Colt LE6920s that won't take the Gen 3s either, and it doesn't get any more mil spec than that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast