Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Colt still good?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bear in mind, not all Colts are created equal. That means that not all are of the same quality. Just because it has Colt on the lower and maybe a C on the upper, it does not mean that it is what a Colt once was. personally, about the only new Colt I would buy would be the M4A1 SOCOM. The last new Colt I bought was a 2008 LE6920 (marked " Restricted Military/Gov't LE"). Personally, there are several good quality basic ARs available today that rival that of Colt in quality, fit, finish, and performance that are close to the same price and some less. My advice, do not get caught up in the Colt name thing when looking for quality. Do not get me wrong, I like Colt ARs, but the Colts of olden days. I have several older pre-ban Colts going back to 1977. Shop around for what you are looking for in regard to what it is that you are wanting. Look at the compilation of parts. Remember, mil-spec means different things these days. Not all mil-spec buffer tubes are the same. Most all receivers are mil-spec. Not all charging handles are mil-spec (some are worse, some better). Not all barrels are mil-spec material (some worse, some better). No FCGs are mil-spec since they are not select-fire. There are mil-spec type FCGs and some are better quality that others. You just have to know what it is you are buying. Personally, I prefer to build my own in that I can pick and choose what parts I want and I know that when it is done, it is a good quality and well-performing AR.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Bear in mind, not all Colts are created equal. That means that not all are of the same quality. Just because it has Colt on the lower and maybe a C on the upper, it does not mean that it is what a Colt once was. personally, about the only new Colt I would buy would be the M4A1 SOCOM. The last new Colt I bought was a 2008 LE6920 (marked " Restricted Military/Gov't LE"). Personally, there are several good quality basic ARs available today that rival that of Colt in quality, fit, finish, and performance that are close to the same price and some less. My advice, do not get caught up in the Colt name thing when looking for quality. Do not get me wrong, I like Colt ARs, but the Colts of olden days. I have several older pre-ban Colts going back to 1977. Shop around for what you are looking for in regard to what it is that you are wanting. Look at the compilation of parts. Remember, mil-spec means different things these days. Not all mil-spec buffer tubes are the same. Most all receivers are mil-spec. Not all charging handles are mil-spec (some are worse, some better). Not all barrels are mil-spec material (some worse, some better). No FCGs are mil-spec since they are not select-fire. There are mil-spec type FCGs and some are better quality that others. You just have to know what it is you are buying. Personally, I prefer to build my own in that I can pick and choose what parts I want and I know that when it is done, it is a good quality and well-performing AR.
    What specifically makes the Colts of today worse than older Colts? Are they using inferior materials now? Why is the M4A1 SOCOM fine but the others aren't? I just see a lot of talk about how Colt isn't what they used to be but there's very little specifics or problems I'm hearing. Even so the whole thing puts me off of Colt unfortunately.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    How do you get the unasembled price? I can't see it.
    You have to use the menu on the right of the screen to see the price - the bottom choice is [I]Assembly (optional) - select [I]Unassembled - price should be right up at the top. Also note that everything is seemingly listed as $99.00 except Black for the upper receiver'handguard color - that doesn't add any cost to the price, FDE and UDE add another $99.00.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Why are you sure it would be more accurate?
    What is the mil-spec requirement for MOA accuracy?

Here is LaRue's: No LaRue firearm can leave the facility unless it obtains accuracy of less-than 1 MOA (1.047”) at 100 Yards. Each firearm ships with a copy of a 3-round group obtained from that actual firearm.

Even though the Ultimate Upper Un-assembled kits aren't test fired, the one I built shoots sub MOA at 100 yards. So as I said, I'm pretty sure it will #1 - be more accurate than the Colt.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    What is the mil-spec requirement for MOA accuracy?

Here is LaRue's: No LaRue firearm can leave the facility unless it obtains accuracy of less-than 1 MOA (1.047”) at 100 Yards. Each firearm ships with a copy of a 3-round group obtained from that actual firearm.

Even though the Ultimate Upper Un-assembled kits aren't test fired, the one I built shoots sub MOA at 100 yards. So as I said, I'm pretty sure it will #1 - be more accurate than the Colt.

Does the mil-spec requirement on accuracy suggest it cannot be exceeded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Does the mil-spec requirement on accuracy suggest it cannot be exceeded?
    By the same token, does the mil-spec requirement for accuracy suggest that it will be exceeded?

(You want a Socratic dialog, I can play along)

Feedback Score

Is Colt still good?

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    By the same token, does the mil-spec requirement for accuracy suggest that it will be exceeded?

(You want a Socratic dialog, I can play along)
    Well, since you didn’t answer, I pose my question again

Since accuracy requirement with a specific ammunition type known for poor accuracy, and is an indicator of when one must be replaced due to wear...it’s reasonable that an unworn barrel will exceed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lsllc; 04-23-19 at 23:32.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSplumber View Post
    What specifically makes the Colts of today worse than older Colts? Are they using inferior materials now? Why is the M4A1 SOCOM fine but the others aren't? I just see a lot of talk about how Colt isn't what they used to be but there's very little specifics or problems I'm hearing. Even so the whole thing puts me off of Colt unfortunately.
    There is so much misinformation around Colt, indeed, but none of it is worth listening to.

People try to justify the $1,500 they paid for Colts back when they were that expensive by saying the $899 6920s of today are inferior. That Colt has removed the “white dot” from their bolts has only bolstered their position.

They aren’t better. They aren’t worse. People just want to command that premium when they go to sell. Look at how much people are asking for LE/Restricted Colt lowers. It’s hilarious. I can get an entire 6920 for the price some people ask for those lowers.

There’s a great thread by a great author, probably the greatest of all time in the history of great authors, on here about whether we are on M4C to buy or to shoot.

Those guys are most definitely here to buy, because someone who shoots does not give a flying **** what their rifle says - only that it works.

Buy a 2019 Manufactured 6920 with confidence. It will work.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 04-24-19 at 06:44.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    There is so much misinformation around Colt, indeed, but none of it is worth listening to.

People try to justify the $1,500 they paid for Colts back when they were that expensive by saying the $899 6920s of today are inferior. That Colt has removed the “white dot” from their bolts has only bolstered their position.
    OMG. You said it. My Colt that I paid too much for must be an "actual" Colt and the one you got at Wal-Mart is secretly an Expanse.

I'll say it again: All the hand-wringing is just an exercise in futility until actual data comes in over the next few years as to whether modern Colts have indeed declined in quality or not.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Colt can have QC issues just like anyone else though, so customer service may be something that matters to a buyer. It does to me.

I had a 6920 Trooper show up with a jacked up rail and it took something like two months to send the rifle back to Colt to have it fixed. I think Euro had a repair that took like 6 months.

On the flip side I had a Sionics rifle issue and those guys had me a shipping label that same day, called me during their troubleshooting, and had it back to me in a week.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast