Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Is Colt still good?

Feedback Score
    Picked up a Colt 11.5” FBI heavy barrel. I was getting 1.5 MOA with a Geissele trigger and an Aimpoint PRO with a pronounced stigmatism in my right eye. Ammo was just Fed xm193 and Fiocchi .223. I think with a magnified optic it is close to 1MOA and maybe under with target ammo.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    Picked up a Colt 11.5” FBI heavy barrel. I was getting 1.5 MOA with a Geissele trigger and an Aimpoint PRO with a pronounced stigmatism in my right eye. Ammo was just Fed xm193 and Fiocchi .223. I think with a magnified optic it is close to 1MOA and maybe under with target ammo.
    I have a Colt 10.3" barrel in an SBR and for the most part haven't gotten particularly good accuracy with it when compared to some of my other guns.
    It's a really cool little SMG-sized carbine as far as handling goes, and function has been great for the 1205 rds through it so far, but I've just been somewhat underwhelmed by the groups I've been getting.

Feedback Score
    I think Colt makes quality firearms and their 6720/6920/6933 are great examples.

But, they don’t make incremental improvements like QD receiver plates, better furniture, rails, etc. on their base model like DD, BCM, and others. But they do make models without furniture and shaved FSB too so who cares?

I’ll tell you what worries me about Colt. They seem to be slow to change and I’m concerned that with their having no submissions for the Army’s new rifle/LMG program that they just aren’t going to be around long term. But that’s kind of the story with Colt. Seems to be good / great (not referring to just AR’s here) products but just decision skills that make you scratch your head... like why not pull the trigger on the moves to TX or FL? Why not put something together for the new solicitations?

That said I can’t diminish their reputation, quality, and stuff such as furniture can be swapped.

That’s my view on Colt.

God Bless,

Brandon

Feedback Score
    I just got a Cage coded upper from them, and except for the “C” stamp, looks like every other Colt I own. I will say their quality is still good, but as others have said, they have to make better innovations and R&D for not only to their Military customers, but their LE and commercial base. An example of this is H&K. They are in as much dire straights as Colt, and that is because Colt and H&K have neglected their commercial base. Are you telling me H&K can’t add a chrome lined barrel to their MR556?!? Please

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    They actually did something innovative and priced well. I bought the new Colt CM in 6.5 and my brother bought it in 308. 18 inch barrel with 17 inch Mlok rail. Built by Colt defense and solid. Gassed nicely for a can. $1,400 in my hands. Mine shot sub Moa with 1-8 scope and my brother's 308 shot Moa with an ACOG.

I am thrilled with it. Colt still GTG.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    They actually did something innovative and priced well. I bought the new Colt CM in 6.5 and my brother bought it in 308. 18 inch barrel with 17 inch Mlok rail. Built by Colt defense and solid. Gassed nicely for a can. $1,400 in my hands. Mine shot sub Moa with 1-8 scope and my brother's 308 shot Moa with an ACOG.

PB
    I am sorely tempted by the 308 version myself. It really is a great price on what I’ve always heard is a great platform. I think the initial higher pricing is why it didn’t take off. Had they released it at a lower price, they could have raised it slowly and gone after the LMT market.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veeklog View Post
    I just got a Cage coded upper from them, and except for the “C” stamp, looks like every other Colt I own. I will say their quality is still good, but as others have said, they have to make better innovations and R&D for not only to their Military customers, but their LE and commercial base. An example of this is H&K. They are in as much dire straights as Colt, and that is because Colt and H&K have neglected their commercial base. Are you telling me H&K can’t add a chrome lined barrel to their MR556?!? Please
    COLT hasn't neglected anyone. They know their market well. Their market is FMS. Anything leftover trickles down to the commercial market. The modular carbine is great platform. I'm sure the current offering is a limited run and will evaporate soon enough. They're a bargain at $1500.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

PB
    That is for the 6.5 Creedmore, correct? I can't find one in .308 with an 18" barrel.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    That is for the 6.5 Creedmore, correct? I can't find one in .308 with an 18" barrel.
    Yes, 6.5 is 18" barrel, 308 16" barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sadler View Post
    COLT hasn't neglected anyone. They know their market well. Their market is FMS. Anything leftover trickles down to the commercial market. The modular carbine is great platform. I'm sure the current offering is a limited run and will evaporate soon enough. They're a bargain at $1500.
    No one is saying Colt quality has went down; what I said is they neglected their LE and commercial base. I am a huge Colt fan, especially their SOCOM barrels. Most of my rifles and uppers are Colt, to include a very rare 6941 monolithic upper. My 6945 on my SBR lower runs like a sewing machine.

Colt Defense has offered very gimmicky items instead of bring more innovative products to their customers. Colt Canada has become their de facto R&D, and some of their offerings to include their MRR uppers would be a hit in both the U.S. LE and commercial market. I understand because of the retarded laws we cannot get anything Imported from Colt Canada/Diemaco, but Colt Defense can manufacture the MRR upper here in the U.S. without issues.
    Last edited by veeklog; 06-16-19 at 23:47.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast