Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Colt still good?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Not really.
    Fair enough. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Chris Bartocci says not. Says nothing is made in house anymore. But that's just his opinion.

Feedback Score
    I will repeat what someone posted earlier. The gun rental range in Vegas runs their Colts HARD. They are good to go. Now everybody go buy a Colt and shut up.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Core781 View Post
    Colt Defense FCGs are a hit or miss. I have one from 2000 that's supposed to be a match trigger and it's horrible. I have one from a 6920 2016 that's really crisp. I have a coated "S" marked Colt FCG which are pretty rare that is the best I have come across. It's my personal belief that Colt Defense makes heavy FCGs because when your adrenaline is dumping you tend to lose fine motor skills and it reduces unintended discharge. I agree 100% that a Colt Defense FCG is most often crap and if you are a sniper or competitor you need to replace it with a better trigger. I have a SOCOM with a RISII and it group's 3-4inches at 400 meters from prone with a non magnified red dot. That's a 14.5" barrel with a Saker four prong flash hider and a 6920 lower. So I ddon't feel it's a critical issue personally. I have a two stage in my SPR because it has a 25x optic and shoots out beyond 1500 meters in valkyrie. I learned from a factory smith how to prep a milspec FCG years ago and it makes a big difference but you can only do so much to a milspec FCG even if you know what you're doing. I'm glad to hear FN is making quality milspec FCGs maybe I'll pick a take off up someday and try it out. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't use a NB coated disconnect. That makes a big difference, but it's not TM compliant yet to my knowledge.
    Are you guys really getting all bent up over factory mil spec triggers? Like omg why.

Some are decent, most are crap, but they function as intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Chris Bartocci says not. Says nothing is made in house anymore. But that's just his opinion.
    Chris is great, I have a copy of BLACK Rifle II and it'ssstill 100% relevant. Soon we willnneed a BRIII. I have also discussed a number of issues with Chris over the years on forums and had a great conversation with him via email. Chris' YouTube video where he discusses Colt Expanse and basically how it's crap: is this what you are referring to? It's important to understand per Colt the Expanse line is not a military grade product, with mostly different parts. The 1911 shop has suffered from the bankruptcy. I can't comment to the quality of the 1911s, but I will say Colt has some great proprietary tech they put into both the Defense and 1911 line. I would guess they need to adopt MIM to keep costs down. The most expensive production 1911s hitting $2000+ have MIM sadly. I personally hate MIM. Ihhave worked on older Colt 1911s, and they have zero MIM. I have read discussions on 1911 forums saying their mod line models are mostly forged components pre shop overhaul a few years ago. An example is the dual spring assembly used in the new 1911 which Colt adopted in their line, and now many others are following. Colt also has old mothballed tech. that has been released in newer products that was once determined to be une unnecessary from the perspective of the bean counters. Considering the prices of Colt 1911s it is impressive they had mostly non MIM. But things change and ultimately Colt is a business that needs profits to survive. The military is no longer using the 1911 for the most part, so it's now a consumer thing. Personally I carry a Springfield Custom 1911A1, and Walthers. I used 1911 in the Navy, M9, Sigs. I prefer the 1911A1. I also carried an XD for a while, I preferred it over a Glock. I still believe the XDm/s line is a better hammer than a Glock. I like the XD trigger, sights, and barrel better, also liked the early frames better. The ergonomics of the new XDs are still better than new Glocks, same as the older XDs and Glocks. I carry 100% of the day and I shoot weekly so if it doesn't work I trash it and find something that does. I have found bean counting to be the biggest threat, and am a big fan of niche parts manufacturers. Colt Defense sets the bar for affordable military grade carbines. My only criticism of Colt Defense is not adopting CHF Chrome Lined barrels. But if they did people would Fudd about the cost of an extra $200-300 dollar barrel that doesn't give you a great deal more lifespan of full auto use.. I really like FNs CHF barrels, but most of us do not need a CHF barrel. Personally I think it's better as an add on. But it would be nice if Colt Defense could raise the bar but they would need military contracts to maintain profits.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Core781 View Post
    Chris is great, I have a copy of BLACK Rifle II and it'ssstill 100% relevant. Soon we willnneed a BRIII. I have also discussed a number of issues with Chris over the years on forums and had a great conversation with him via email. Chris' YouTube video where he discusses Colt Expanse and basically how it's crap: is this what you are referring to? It's important to understand per Colt the Expanse line is not a military grade product, with mostly different parts. The 1911 shop has suffered from the bankruptcy. I can't comment to the quality of the 1911s, but I will say Colt has some great proprietary tech they put into both the Defense and 1911 line. I would guess they need to adopt MIM to keep costs down. The most expensive production 1911s hitting $2000+ have MIM sadly. I personally hate MIM. Ihhave worked on older Colt 1911s, and they have zero MIM. I have read discussions on 1911 forums saying their mod line models are mostly forged components pre shop overhaul a few years ago. An example is the dual spring assembly used in the new 1911 which Colt adopted in their line, and now many others are following. Colt also has old mothballed tech. that has been released in newer products that was once determined to be une unnecessary from the perspective of the bean counters. Considering the prices of Colt 1911s it is impressive they had mostly non MIM. But things change and ultimately Colt is a business that needs profits to survive. The military is no longer using the 1911 for the most part, so it's now a consumer thing. Personally I carry a Springfield Custom 1911A1, and Walthers. I used 1911 in the Navy, M9, Sigs. I prefer the 1911A1. I also carried an XD for a while, I preferred it over a Glock. I still believe the XDm/s line is a better hammer than a Glock. I like the XD trigger, sights, and barrel better, also liked the early frames better. The ergonomics of the new XDs are still better than new Glocks, same as the older XDs and Glocks. I carry 100% of the day and I shoot weekly so if it doesn't work I trash it and find something that does. I have found bean counting to be the biggest threat, and am a big fan of niche parts manufacturers. Colt Defense sets the bar for affordable military grade carbines. My only criticism of Colt Defense is not adopting CHF Chrome Lined barrels. But if they did people would Fudd about the cost of an extra $200-300 dollar barrel that doesn't give you a great deal more lifespan of full auto use.. I really like FNs CHF barrels, but most of us do not need a CHF barrel. Personally I think it's better as an add on. But it would be nice if Colt Defense could raise the bar but they would need military contracts to maintain profits.
    Chris said on his last Small Arms Solutions Live on 4/27/19 that he would not buy a current 6920. The parts were not made in house and were all sourced.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Chris said on his last Small Arms Solutions Live on 4/27/19 that he would not buy a current 6920. The parts were not made in house and were all sourced.
    Who cares if the parts are in spec?

Also convos from inside the WHite House have been leaked on the regular but nobody seems to know what Colt is actually doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    It seems lately that one can’t engage in a conversation without a bunch of drive-by snark from other senior members. This comment isnt aimed at anyone in particular, just a general comment.
    I'm part of your reference, I most certainly was not referring to you.

The whole Colt outsourcing parts thing, and the threads associated with it are getting repetitive to say the least.

My personal opinion is that Colt is worth the money, as are most entry level AR's below $1,000.00. If someone pays $500.00 for an AR, I certainly hope they understand they are getting a $500.00 AR and not a (insert name of your favorite 2000.00 AR here).

Again, speaking personally, I think there is a lot of 'confusion' as to bang for the buck in the brief range of $900ish to $1300ish dollar basic rifles. But, that doesn't mean I'm telling someone their whatever sucks.

I have called out, as much as I'm capable of calling out folks, some of the Colt fanboys about the 'Colt makes war horses, not show ponies' mantra as an excuse for crappy fit and finish.

As, an example: I thought it was humorous when a photographer commented in reference to one of my posts on the subject that he wasn't concerned about 'aesthetics.' Yet that same guy, in response to me posting a picture of my completed LaRue rifle, commented he was glad I was happy, but my upper and lower finish didn't match to his standards.

Like so much in this world, it depends on if you are buying or selling - I had commented regarding the flashing left on the tang of a Colt lower receiver, yet I was okay with a slight discrepancy in color match on my LaRue.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 04-28-19 at 13:09.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I'm part of your reference, I most certainly was not referring to you.

The whole Colt outsourcing parts thing, and the threads associated with it are getting repetitive to say the least.

My personal opinion is that Colt is worth the money, as are most entry level AR's below $1,000.00. If someone pays $500.00 for an AR, I certainly hope they understand they are getting a $500.00 AR and not a (insert name of your favorite 2000.00 AR here).

Again, speaking personally, I think there is a lot of 'confusion' as to bang for the buck in the brief range of $900ish to $1300ish dollar basic rifles. But, that doesn't mean I'm telling someone their whatever sucks.

I have called out, as much as I'm capable of calling out folks, some of the Colt fanboys about the 'Colt makes war horses, not show ponies' mantra as an excuse for crappy fit and finish.

As, an example: I thought it was humorous when a photographer commented in reference to one of my posts on the subject that he wasn't concerned about 'aesthetics.' Yet that same guy, in response to me posting a picture of my completed LaRue rifle, commented he was glad I was happy, but my upper and lower finish didn't match to his standards.

Like so much in this world, it depends on if you are buying or selling - I had commented regarding the flashing left on the tang of a Colt lower receiver, yet I was okay with a slight discrepancy in color match on my LaRue.
    I appreciate that.

And yes, these threads get old, as they always end up with the back and forth. Usually the opinions are not quantified with any solid data and I was just trying to flesh that out.

I agree Re: the basic budget rifles. As an old car salesman once told me, “there’s an ass for EVERY seat”. Guns are no different, just depends on need and ones personal threshold for value...quality vs the price paid...in my opinion.

Sorry if I took y’alls comments wrong. I think my ovaries may have been acting up.

Feedback Score
    He also said that current production 6920s are probably still military-grade ARs, and seemed to be even more sure about that with the 6940 because some of it's parts require Colt to manufacture them. He said the 6920's quality is completely dependent on Colt's QC, so it's in the same boat as BCM and many other reputable and proven AR makers.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast