Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Colt still good?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    If your concern is along the lines of fit and finish, Colt is not the goal to strive for. If the concern is functionality, it is hard to beat.
    I'm not at all concerned about fit and finish, as long as it functions 100%. But it seems like the Colt 6920 is very hated on these days and called subpar.

Feedback Score
    I find Colt's fit to be the best. Their finish has a few scuffs which is totally fine, but there are a few examples out there that are kind of not okay. 99% of Colt's on the wall I would buy.

Feedback Score
    Let them hate all they want...as I said earlier,compare the basic build specs to the competition and you won’t find many competitors in its price range.
    I might sound like a fanboy,but I’m actually just a guy looking to get the most for his hard earned dough.
    I would think at least 40% of what is posted on these forums is unfounded gibberish,typically posted by people with an ar15 under their bed that hasn’t been fired more than a couple times...
    My advice to you is;
    Decide what the primary role is you are trying to fill
    Do plenty of independent research
    Rent one if possible
    Determine your price range
    Get the best basic components you can afford (barrel,receiver extension,trigger,buffer)
    Just my .02$

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Milspec78 View Post
    I bought a 6920 in 2016,put a colt 14.5” m4 barrel (pinned and welded),geissele ssa trigger and a ta31 h-g.it has about 3,500-4,000 ish rounds with nary a hiccup.i am very happy with its performance.
    The build specs are pretty easy to find,I would compare with others in the price range(if they are even disclosed!!).to me the choice was an easy one.
    I feel mine was an excellent value and have not experienced buyers remorse in the three years I have owned it.
    Ymmv.
    I think you should give some consideration to the fact that you spent $240.00 on a trigger to achieve this goodness.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Regarding Bartocci, he clearly has a lot of affection and nostalgia for the Colt of old. So he seems legitimately dismayed over Colt's outsourcing and some of their other tone-deaf business decisions, but when asked straight up if the outsourcing is negatively affecting the quality of Colt rifles his answer was a relatively fair (in my opinion) "We don't know yet".
    I'll still buy Colt stuff until there's some indication I shouldn't.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would think at least 40% of what is posted on these forums is unfounded gibberish,typically posted by people with an ar15 under their bed that hasn’t been fired more than a couple times...
    4,000 rounds in three years, that is more than average.

I just weighed the brass I have sitting to be processed from summer last year to today (actually last week) 47.3 pounds equals about 3,400 give or take in the last 9 or so months.

I know a lot of folks on the forum shoot more .223/5.56 than I do, but this poster of unfounded gibberish did it all without a Colt.

As you said - be a knowledgeable buyer, get reliable components. Research enough to understand the difference between BCG 'A' (with logo) at $169.00 and BCG 'B' at $89.00 (no logo) probably ain't $80.00 worth.

Some manufacturers chooses not to deal with casting flash on parts of the receiver that might discomfort the shooter, especially with an A2 grip. Then ask yourself what other, unseen, cost saving measures that manufacture that might employ.

Above all, encourage folks to have a reason for their opinions and purchases based on something other than dogma.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I never said it had the best trigger in its price range.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I never said it had the best trigger in its price range.
    I got that, but with what you paid plus cash out for the trigger, you are in this territory:

LaRue Ultimate AR-15 Upper Kit (assembled @ $792.00; unassembled @ $693.00) https://www.larue.com/products/larue...-15-upper-kit/

add this:

LaRue Billet Lower (@ $199.99) https://www.larue.com/products/larue-billet-lowers/

And since all you would have to do is assemble the lower to have a complete rifle at $991.99 or, if you are even handier, @ $892.99.

Pretty sure it will #1 - be more accurate than the Colt; #2 - since it has the MBT, it won't need another trigger.

Maybe apples to oranges, but that is the way I'd go before I bought a 6920 and put $240.00 trigger in it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MSplumber View Post
    My next AR15 is going to be a basic but high quality carbine. Colt was first on my list until I read the thread about Colt outsourcing and seen people like Chris Bartocci slam Colt. Are they still a baseline reference of a well made mil spec AR?
    Yes...

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I got that, but with what you paid plus cash out for the trigger, you are in this territory:

LaRue Ultimate AR-15 Upper Kit (assembled @ $792.00; unassembled @ $693.00) https://www.larue.com/products/larue...-15-upper-kit/

add this:

LaRue Billet Lower (@ $199.99) https://www.larue.com/products/larue-billet-lowers/

And since all you would have to do is assemble the lower to have a complete rifle at $991.99 or, if you are even handier, @ $892.99.

Pretty sure it will #1 - be more accurate than the Colt; #2 - since it has the MBT, it won't need another trigger.

Maybe apples to oranges, but that is the way I'd go before I bought a 6920 and put $240.00 trigger in it.
    Why are you sure it would be more accurate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast