Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Colt still good?

Feedback Score
    Colt is still Colt, nothing special nothing terrible. BCM, Noveske, LMT are viable options in terms of quality and innovation as well.
    Veteran US Army Combat Medic/US Navy FMF Corpsman

"Well placed gun fire is the best preventive medicine."

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    LaRue Ultimate AR-15 Upper Kit (assembled @ $792.00; unassembled @ $693.00) [url]https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit/[/u
    How do you get the unasembled price? I can't see it.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Regarding Bartocci, he clearly has a lot of affection and nostalgia for the Colt of old. So he seems legitimately dismayed over Colt's outsourcing and some of their other tone-deaf business decisions, but when asked straight up if the outsourcing is negatively affecting the quality of Colt rifles his answer was a relatively fair (in my opinion) "We don't know yet".
    I'll still buy Colt stuff until there's some indication I shouldn't.
    I have mixed feelings about Bartocci. I think he has a legitimate concern UP TO A POINT. Beyond that point I think he's clinging to the past a little too much and may also have a small cup of sour grapes over his career ending with Colt. It's like every former employee comparing himself to his replacement saying, "Things were different when I was there (and it was done right)." You have to separate the truth from the nostalgia and that's the difficult part.

Only after a few years and hundreds of thousands of rounds fired will we know if Colt's quality has really taken a dive or if their changes are just trimming some of the fat and becoming more efficient.

We literally will not know the answer during the entire course of this thread.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 04-23-19 at 09:29.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    There's nothing wrong with a Colt, or outsourcing especially since A.) Colt has always outsourced some components & B.) Some of the brands you'd jizz yourself to have in your safe outsource as well. Welcome to the manufacturing world friends, this is normal & regular practice.

If Colt has any knock against it, it's that they're still building the gun of 30 years ago with few exceptions. If you're going to pick one up, I'd go after the CCU 6960. At least you get a mid gas system... that was released within the last few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yes they are fine

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    B.) Some of the brands you'd jizz yourself to have in your safe outsource as well.
    I'd say nearly all of them do.

Feedback Score
    I’m put off by all the drama and rumors with Colt. IMO they are becoming less of a known in terms of quality compared to other brands.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I recently built a rifle using a bunch of what I guess could be considered "misfit" Colt parts (weird barrel profile circa 2013, BCG w/ non-C marked carrier, non-C marked upper from RSR, 6920 lower with 6 position tube) and all of the parts are otherwise indistinguishable from Colt parts from older, marked rifles.

Anyways, there is a picture floating around of an upper that an armorer received via the military supply chain that is marked with the "C" as well as FN's cage code. It kinda makes me wonder if when they say outsourcing, do they mean your standard civ manufacturers like CMT or something or if the facilities are "special" facilities that make parts specifically from military suppliers per TDP. The only way I can see an upper being marked as both Colt and FN is if there is a 3rd party manufacturer that makes parts for both. I don't think Colt would ever accidentally put FN's cage code on one of their uppers and FN would never stamp (electro pencil in this case) "C" on their uppers. Maybe someone knows more about it than I do.
    "The machine doesn't make the man, the man makes the machine" - Gucci

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by midSCarolina View Post
    Anyways, there is a picture floating around of an upper that an armorer received via the military supply chain that is marked with the "C" as well as FN's cage code. It kinda makes me wonder if when they say outsourcing, do they mean your standard civ manufacturers like CMT or something or if the facilities are "special" facilities that make parts specifically from military suppliers per TDP. The only way I can see an upper being marked as both Colt and FN is if there is a 3rd party manufacturer that makes parts for both. I don't think Colt would ever accidentally put FN's cage code on one of their uppers and FN would never stamp (electro pencil in this case) "C" on their uppers. Maybe someone knows more about it than I do.
    It's entirely plausible that Colt is supplying components to FN. The government doesn't own means of production, they're getting parts, components and systems from the civilian market. I've audited and done business with quite a few military contractors that also supply civilian industries that produced things like machine gun spindles, air-to-air missile warhead explosives and Tomahawk cruise missile bodies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    It's entirely plausible that Colt is supplying components to FN. The government doesn't own means of production, they're getting parts, components and systems from the civilian market. I've audited and done business with quite a few military contractors that also supply civilian industries that produced things like machine gun spindles, air-to-air missile warhead explosives and Tomahawk cruise missile bodies.
    It could be that FN is supplying them for Colt.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast