Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Colt still good?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    I see some limitations with this anecdotal evidence. Sights, triggers, and large ammunition variation. How many rounds per group?

How many rounds will the barrel maintain that kind of accuracy for over the service life?

As you know, three round groups are statistically insignificant.

Further, just comparing barrels, which is what we are doing here, also leaves an unknown as to the fit of the rest of the rifle. How does the barrel for the extension? What is the engagement of lugs like on that particular bolt?

There are lots of things going into accuracy. I don’t think you can isolate simply the barrel in this whole process and state the Colt barrel is inferior or superior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    While I agree, that doesn't support my belief that LaRue barrels are superior to Colt 6920 barrels.

Most of the results I posted were from rifles fired off sandbags or rests, I would imagine with either red dots or low power scopes, which would impact precision. Ammunition and triggers are also variables.

I'm sure LaRue uses a fixture of some type to hold the upper or complete rifle. Also, they state with match ammo.

And then you have the intended purpose of the rifles, my LaRue wasn't intended to be a SHTF, Zombie Slayer, infantry rifle.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    The TDP ONLY applies to military weapons. It has no function with commercial production ARs. That said, any manufacturer can exceed the TDP or mil-spec standards in their civilian ARs. In turn, any manufacturer can choose to produce at a lesser standard. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the BCM M4 Mod 0. It is a stellar AR as there are many others. It is a viable option over the Colt 6920 any day of the week.
    Respectfully sir, you're wrong. Technical manufacturing specifications are black and white, you either meet the specs or you don't. And for something that has no function with commercial ARs everybody seems to be copying it. You're talking about "eye of the beholder" stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    The TDP ONLY applies to military weapons. It has no function with commercial production ARs. That said, any manufacturer can exceed the TDP or mil-spec standards in their civilian ARs. In turn, any manufacturer can choose to produce at a lesser standard. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the BCM M4 Mod 0. It is a stellar AR as there are many others. It is a viable option over the Colt 6920 any day of the week.
    I don’t think he was talking about BCM quality one way or the other. His point is that a specification is just that...specific. There is no “exceeding”. You either meet it or you don’t.

BCM May well be better than the sum total of the TDP. But in the manufacturing/quality arena, it’s either to the specs or it isn’t.

I say this as someone who is a Manufacturing Manager at my day job.

Feedback Score
    Also I'm not a fan of unions. This is another reason not to buy Colt. The union mentality has probably not been good for the company or quality.
    Last edited by prepare; 04-24-19 at 17:19.

Feedback Score

Is Colt still good?

Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Also I'm not a fan of unions. This is another reason not to buy Colt. The union mentality has probably not been good for the company or quality.
    Unions are a cancer. But, it’s hard to avoid them.

I know I didn’t choose my vehicle based on unions, but I did think about it in the process. I ultimately chose based on product alone.

Last edited by lsllc; 04-24-19 at 18:02.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Any truth to the speculation that the unassembled ones are the culls from the accuracy test?
    How would anyone here be able to give an honest answer to insider info?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Unions are a cancer. But, it’s hard to avoid them.

I know I didn’t choose my vehicle based on unions, but I did think about it in the process. I ultimately chose based on product alone.

Unions are why you don't live like your nineteenth century forbears, working 14 hour days in miserable, dangerous conditions in exchange for a bowl of soup and a pallet on the floor of a tenement.

I'm thinking our descendants will learn what that's like, all over again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Unions are why you don't live like your nineteenth century forbears, working 14 hour days in miserable, dangerous conditions in exchange for a bowl of soup and a pallet on the floor of a tenement.

I'm thinking our descendants will learn what that's like, all over again.
    That’s going a bit off-topic. Certainly a day existed when unions were helpful. Cell regeneration is helpful, but when it’s out of control, it becomes cancer. Unions are out of control. Unions are cancer.

Feedback Score
    Bottom line- right now there are better choices. Choices that don't involve questioning weather or not they are still good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Bottom line- right now there are better choices. Choices that don't involve questioning weather or not they are still good.
    Why is Colt being questioned? What empirical evidence is there they have relaxed their quality, other than a disgruntled employee making videos? Basically we are relying on rumors.

What if I started a rumor that BCM’s quality slipped? Or LMT? Would we have threads going on about whether or not we should avoid them based on this rumor I start?

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast