Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7.62x39 AR questions

Feedback Score

7.62x39 AR questions

Thinking about piecing together a 7.62x39 upper for my SBR. Need to save on ammo costs. Should do same job as the .300 Blackout with supers.

Who makes a good BCG for the x39? I'd like one of the coated, easy to clean ones, and one that can handle steel case ammo as well. Have a chrome BCG in both my .300 Blackout, and my 5.56, and I love them. Temped to sell my .300 barrel, and just get a x39 bolt for my chrome carrier. Thinking KaK, as I'm pretty sure I'm going with their 11" barrel. Also, anybody have any info on if it's worth it to pay the premium for the cold hammer forged barrel over the value line barrel? This will just be a defensive gun for 200 yds and in. I'm thinking Value line.

Also, what mags are good for these?
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 04-22-19 at 17:32.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Best bolt is LMT enhanced. Pricey, but most durable.

Best bang for the buck is a Toolcraft nitride.

Honorable mention for AIM Surplus BCGs and they have one in NiB as well.

My favorite mags are the new C Products Defense mags. The black Teflon finish is slick and makes steel case feed smoothly, with strong springs.

I’d also recommend a heavy buffer like an H2 or H3.
    Last edited by wanderson; 04-22-19 at 20:06.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've got over 3k rounds through one of my 20 round CProducts mags and close to 1k on a 10 rounder. Same springs it's hilarious I almost want to break one just to see if it will. PWS Mk116 suppressed an absolute hog and coyote slaying machine for 19 cents/shot can't complain.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 04-30-19 at 07:06.

Feedback Score
    i have both the KAK Value Line 16", and their premium 16" CHF barrel in 7.62x39. bought them as 16". sent them out to be shortened, crowned and threaded to 14.5" and pin/weld the brake. I used the KAK VL for my experimental piston conversion, and the CHF barrel for an 7.62x39 M4gery. they are good barrels, but seriously overgassed, even after being shortened to 14.5", even with H3 buffer. the gas port as delivered for my barrels was 0.096". should probably be around 0.070 or 0.067" for DI. so an adjustable gas block is needed. they are true 0.311" bore. I like them. bought a couple more VL's for future builds when they were on sale for $100, but you have to throttle the gas flow (SLR adj GB or BRT).

I have no experience with any 11" 7.62x39 barrels.

I use AIM Surplus BCG's for my 7.62x39 builds, nitride or NiB, depending.
    Last edited by rpoL98; 05-04-19 at 03:54.

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    The finest bolt made is right here.............. https://youngmanufacturing.net/produ...olt-7-62-x-39/ check out the beefy walls, and lugs. I am stunned they are still in stock! I run them inside a PSA NIB carrier.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NQNPIII View Post
    The finest bolt made is right here.............. https://youngmanufacturing.net/produ...olt-7-62-x-39/ check out the beefy walls, and lugs. I am stunned they are still in stock! I run them inside a PSA NIB carrier.
    I have the Young chrome BCG in my .300 Blackout SBR. I love it.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Hello Thread

While I don't consider myself to be a professional gunsmith I did tutor under one for a year and put myself through school building various forms of AR-15's (The Correct Way)

I recently put a 7.62x39 AR15 upper together for hog hunting as I did not want the 300 BLK or an AR-10 platform. I tested it out the other day and found it to function and work flawlessly. The ammo was Monarch and Tula steel cased. The Monarch worked great and the Tula only worked about 90% percent of the time, I think I got a bad lot. I'll just stick to Monarch in the future. Looking forward to trying Wolf and Brown Bear if I can get it.

I saw a lot of guys are having trouble with this type of assembly as the AR15 platform was never meant for this round. If you want email me at Robar90@yahoo.com and I'm glad to help out or provide the list of materials I used on mine.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quite possibly, the bolt for the CMMG Mutant. It's designed with a larger diameter bolt and stronger locking lugs. I don't think the Mutant bolt is compatible with the standard AR carrier or receivers.

From what I understand, for best function, you want a lower designed to take AK mags. PSA offers lower that take AK mags, bolts made to work with AK mags and uppers, but I don't know if the PSA is based on the Mutant pattern or not.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    PSA KS-47 is NOT a Mutant.
    the Mutant is proprietary, using an AR-10 bolt.
    The KS-47 is AR-15 sized with a std. AR-15 7.62x39 bolt and a custom cut carrier for AK mags.
    PSA calls it a hybrid and is the same carrier they now put in their 7.62x39 ARs that run AR type mags as well.
    I don’t have any reliability issues with my CPD 7.62x39 AR mags but if you prefer AK Mags the PSA looks like a good option. My 16” 7.62x39 AR upper is an older PSA before they made the KS-47 AK mag carbine. It’s a good shooter and reliable with Wolf, Brown Bear, Golden Tiger, RAS and Surplus Yugo M67.

Feedback Score
    Just watched a couple reviews on the PSA KS-47, and it seems to perform reliably. Despite a lot of people slamming PSA, I got one of their pistol lowers a while back so I could easier travel with my .300 Blackout SBR, and zero issues. Then I recently went and picked up a 10.5 5.56 pistol uppers as well, same thing.

Their dogs.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast