Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 7.62x39 AR questions

Feedback Score
    I have a Windham Weaponry SRC in 7.62x39. The only issue that I've ever had with it is some light primer strikes due to hard primers. It turns out that the ammo was made in a Ukrainian factory that has since been destroyed by the Russians. Other than that, no issues. I also "built" a 7.62x39 AR15 by combining a Bear Creek Arsenal upper with a Tactical Machining 7.62x39 marked lower that I assembled. The finish matches perfect and it runs 100% as well. I use D&H magazines and RZE Unimags. The RZE Unimags are shaped like regular magazine, but feed 7.62x39 just fine. Here's a magazine review video and me shooting my Windham Weaponry SRC upper on a M16A1 lower.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma82EphaORQ&t=1s

Personally, I wouldn't spend out the nose on a 7.62x39 AR15 build. The inexpensive stuff runs and if it breaks or wears out, you can buy inexpensive replacement parts. When/if my barrels wear out, I'll just replace them. That's the beauty of the AR-15. BTW, the Windham Weaponry cost me $550 and the total build cost of the Tactical Machining/Bear Creek Arsenal was around $400.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NQNPIII View Post
    The finest bolt made is right here.............. https://youngmanufacturing.net/produ...olt-7-62-x-39/ check out the beefy walls, and lugs. I am stunned they are still in stock! I run them inside a PSA NIB carrier.
    Maybe the strongest bolt still being sold individually that will fit a mil spec extension but not as strong as the Superbolt, no where near the Titan, 750XD or 800 series. Not near as strong as CMMGs Anvil either. I believe in the photo is a mil spec 5.56 and 6.8 then a Grendel Titan, 750xd and on the rt is the 800 series.
    Attachment 57505

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    Maybe the strongest bolt still being sold individually that will fit a mil spec extension but not as strong as the Superbolt, no where near the Titan, 750XD or 800 series. Not near as strong as CMMGs Anvil either. I believe in the photo is a mil spec 5.56 and 6.8 then a Grendel Titan, 750xd and on the rt is the 800 series.
    Attachment 57505
    Linkies por-flavor?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NQNPIII View Post
    Linkies por-flavor?
    https://ar15performance.com/bolts__carriers
    doesn't look like any offerings in 7.62x39, so not sure of the relevance to this thread. they're all for 6.8.

Feedback Score
    I have a bolt from Young in 7.62x39 and 6.8 spc
    And my next order for bolts will be from Young

Feedback Score
    Maybe contact Steve Adelman at Citizen Arms. He’s done many 7.62x39 platforms...

Feedback Score
    If you want to shoot 762 x 39...get a Kalash variant. The AR was built and designed to shoot the .223/5.56 cartdrige.

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TH76251556 View Post
    If you want to shoot 762 x 39...get a Kalash variant. The AR was built and designed to shoot the .223/5.56 cartdrige.
    Seriously? Have you seen all the other cartridges an AR can feed and shoot well? I have had zero problems with mine with the right mag. Felt recoil is a lot less than with a AK. And they are very "tuneable." You are pimping a 60+ year old design. Times change. To get a decent AK nowadays you are at $1100+ and still no last round bolt hold open. Lots of success stories out there. Welcome to 2019.

So my SKS is a turd and can't be used with 7.62x39?

Feedback Score
    My opinion? If you want the perfect rifle to shoot 7.62 x 39, get an AK. Otherwise, AR-15 for 5.56.

Feedback Score
    Well I have a couple of both, ARs & AKs in 7.62x39.
    Both are reliable. I like AKs but there’s way more aftermarket goodies for ARs, and It’s easier to mount optics.
    If you shoot out an AR barrel, it’s simple to replace.
    Break a bolt? You can swap out a bolt pretty quickly with no special tools.
    Most 7.62x39 uppers run fine on std. lowers too. $300 will get you a decent budget upper and a few mags if you already have a 5.56 AR.
    Just my preference. I can change AR mags faster than I can rock n lock an AK mag, and LRHO is nice.
    I tried some BHO AK mags, not the same, they let the bolt close on mag changes so I don’t see an advantage. I even cut out my safety on my WASR to hold the bolt open but it’s another step.

If you do find you’re not getting reliable ignition and you’re already running an enhanced firing pin, then the next step is more hammer force. Like a Wolff xtra power hammer spring. In a single stage trigger that makes for a heavy trigger pull, but if that does fix your ignition problem, then bump up to an inexpensive 2 stage trigger. I run a RRA 2 stage with an xtra power spring in my AR pistol, a light pull and touches off everything.

If you want a nicer trigger than that, I put a Hiperfire 24e in my carbine lower, which shares a 5.45x39 upper too. Use the std. weight spring instead of the light spring it comes with, that touches off any commercial or surplus 7.62x39 or 5.45x39.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast