Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Hold Your "Stick?"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    All depends on what I'm doing.
    The way I grip the gun is different when I'm anticipating multiple moving close-range lethal threats than when I'm shooting at a stationary target at long range with no real time pressure.
    The first requires as much recoil management as possible with the ability move rapidly and transition targets quickly.
    The latter requires stability and predictable sight wobble.
    Task drives technique.
    Thank you. You just saved me from writing up the exact same thing.

Much like the question of how to hold a flashlight (with pistol), there are a lot of different ways to hold one when clearing a house, and I float back and forth between a myriad of them while doing building search/ seizures. The same answer exists when shooting a rifle/ carbine. There is no "one way" to hold or grip. There are various methods to employ while doing various taskings. It is up to the individual to figure what works best for the scenario they are facing. Do you shoot roll over prone/ urban prone the same way you shoot prone supported? Of course not, even though you are on the ground for each, the mannerisms are unique.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Thank you. You just saved me from writing up the exact same thing.

Much like the question of how to hold a flashlight (with pistol), there are a lot of different ways to hold one when clearing a house, and I float back and forth between a myriad of them while doing building search/ seizures. The same answer exists when shooting a rifle/ carbine. There is no "one way" to hold or grip. There are various methods to employ while doing various taskings. It is up to the individual to figure what works best for the scenario they are facing. Do you shoot roll over prone/ urban prone the same way you shoot prone supported? Of course not, even though you are on the ground for each, the mannerisms are unique.
    Sooooo, are you going to share your technique(s) with us?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I don't like my arm way out on the gun either. I do like a stubby fore grip or I really like the finger stop from Arisaka. Shoulders hunched down, elbows down....

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I just could never get the hang of the technique of holding your off-hand as far out on the handguard as possible.
    That gayness actually isn't as bad as I thought... as far as steady hold. I however haven't really put much effort into it.... nor do I wear womens' underwear.

I was taught a "baricade" technique, but I could never get good at it... kind of a high powerish standing thing. We mostly just shoot off hand using a position fairly close to a close range stance.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That gayness actually isn't as bad as I thought... as far as steady hold. I however haven't really put much effort into it.... nor do I wear womens' underwear.

I was taught a "baricade" technique, but I could never get good at it... kind of a high powerish standing thing. We mostly just shoot off hand using a position fairly close to a close range stance.
    I exchanged emails with a trainer one time. Sorry I have racked my brain and cannot remember which one. He's the one that turned me on to keeping your elbows close to your torso and holding the carbine further back on the handguard. The theory is you don't fatigue as quickly as you do holding your off-hand further out.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    All depends on what I'm doing.
    The way I grip the gun is different when I'm anticipating multiple moving close-range lethal threats than when I'm shooting at a stationary target at long range with no real time pressure.
    The first requires as much recoil management as possible with the ability move rapidly and transition targets quickly.
    The latter requires stability and predictable sight wobble.
    Task drives technique.
    IDK...I use the same stance for both (although I've never shot at a person). The only difference is how much time I spend acquiring the target. I assumed we were talking about our general run of the mill shooting while standing stance.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 04-23-19 at 16:18.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    IDK...I use the same stance for both (although I've never shot at a person). The only difference is how much time I spend acquiring the target. I assumed we were talking about our general run of the mill shooting while standing stance.
    Here's a really good open source reference:
    https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_p...INAL%20WEB.pdf
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I hold a bit out on the rail/foregrip fir close targets, body shouts to 100 or so.

Skeletal structure support with sling for more precision when needed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Here's a really good open source reference:
    https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_p...INAL%20WEB.pdf
    Thanks, I'll look at it when I'm home.

Feedback Score
    Garand Thumb demonstrates how to just bump it over to the other side---no changing hands, positions, no juggling. Is this what you are talking about?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast