Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Do You Hold Your "Stick?"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Here's a really good open source reference:
    https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_p...INAL%20WEB.pdf
    That IS a really good reference for shooting techniques applicable to the AR weapons platform. Thanks for posting this.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you mean a vert grip, i only like one on shorter guns

Feedback Score
    I typically hold the rifle rather far on the handguard and let the rifle more hang in the grip ( difficult to explain in a brief text )

This allows for fast and precise shooting off hand even to longer distances and smaller targets. I do grip the rifle pretty tightly but trying not to affect the wobble too much due to me.

You can see my grip and stance in use on various distances and target types in this clip from the 2017 IPSC Rifle World Shoot:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    All depends on what I'm doing.
    The way I grip the gun is different when I'm anticipating multiple moving close-range lethal threats than when I'm shooting at a stationary target at long range with no real time pressure.
    The first requires as much recoil management as possible with the ability move rapidly and transition targets quickly.
    The latter requires stability and predictable sight wobble.
    Task drives technique.
    You read my mind. Technique is driven by need. If someone in a course asked me about what technique I would recommend, I would ask for what purpose.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Close range / fast work... I use a C clamp grip and just point my thumb at the target... my sights are right on target.
    About 3 days of practice and I went from "slightly off" to almost perfect.

For distance, I utilize my sling heavily as I am better with precision rifles than ARs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Sooooo, are you going to share your technique(s) with us?

If you mean flashlight techniques, I already wrote and article along with a bunch of pics. I think it was published in an early RECOIL magazine.

If you mean holding a weapon based on stances and scenarios, I could probably do that.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been running a VFG on my primary a (16 incher) for a few years now, and I could still take it or leave it.

It's great for recoil control, cornering, rapid transitioning between targets up close, etc.

But it sucks on long walks, prone shooting, shooting over some cover, in some positions. Can bump into and hang up on things...I run a KAC broomhandle, so I can unscrew it and yank it off when needed.

I am more and more, though, appreciating the enhanced control I get when using an aggressive C-clamp hold on a short, light 11.5 incher. Grabbing it up front, puling it into the shoulder using a Griffin Arms handstop panel, it rocks, without the added weight and bulk of a VFG.
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 04-27-19 at 14:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RKB Armory View Post
    Good question, Doc Safari! This seems like there should be a definitive best way, but there isn't, that I know of.

I'm a 3/5 of the way out guy. My thumb is on the side, not over the bore. Elbows in. I'm not confident that my method is the best. I'm always open to instruction.
    I use a short VFG, and keep my thumb on the side as well. I can easily reach up on top to hit light switch, but I just can't keep it up there.

Weird thing is I also tend to switch back, and forth as to weather or not I blade myself. I'm still getting used to the newer technique of running the gun straight out in front. (Fat old fart that's half crippled, and been retired 10 years.) It's great for movement, but I find I still blade myself to the target often when stationary. More training is needed, but I can still hit the target. Lucky for me, I won't be doing a lot of dismounted patrol anymore.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 04-27-19 at 15:59.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123