Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rethinking shotgun for home defense.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Around here the problem is mostly skunks, raccoons, gophers, and crows...

A subsonic .22lr has worked well for me for years, but now that I have a 12ga shotgun...
    I don’t know, look what this goose did to this poor guy.

Attachment 57300
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I'm not arguing: My go-to gun is an AR, and my back-up gun is another AR.

However, the other advantage (besides shooting small moving targets) of a shotgun over an AR would be cost...

I bought my sister and BiL a brand-new Mossberg 500 "Persuader" for <$300 several years ago (wedding present).

Is it as good as an AR? Of course, NO.

Is it better than a pistol? Of course, YES.

Would I trust it more than a $300 AR? Of course, YES.

Conclusion: Long guns trump pistols, even if carbines trump shotguns.
    I think that is a very good assessment. In addition to economics, ban states also factor in to the options also.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    ... ban states also factor in to the options also.
    I didn't even think of that, and I live in California...

If my ARs were strictly legal, then I'd have ten rounds, with no "toolless" reload.

Ten rounds of 5.56 vs. nine rounds of 00? Some would still choose the 5.56, but it's not a slam dunk anymore.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Honestly I like to keep my beretta with x400 laser light combo because it is loaded, but has a da first pull for the old margin of safety . I don’t leave shotguns or m4s chamber loaded so I feel more comfortable being able to deal with an emergency with a handgun.

I do keep an 870 with light close by and keep it loaded with buckshot. It’s purpose is for laying in wait for an intruder. If someone comes upstairs looking for me they are going to catch some buckshot. Whiz bang claims aside, very little can match full power buckshot at spitting distances. If I have to deal with someone outside then I grab my m4
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    There are really few guns, shotguns included that I would feel bad about having. My Benelli, with Buckshot, Im good, My M4 77grain SMK-Im good, my low round count 1911, Im good. The real key is to have something you shoot well. Its about what is best I guess but just about any quality weapon with proper ammunition will get Mr. home invader.

I use my 10.3 Colt 6945. I would like my MP5 but I don't have it lighted up.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 06-12-19 at 19:15.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My move away from the shotgun came after shooting deer with them. I was unimpressed vs 5.56.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Cool

I'm down to just one shotgun now - the Benelli M1 Super90 Tactical - that I lusted for for 20 years, before I finally found & bought a safe queen in '09.

JUST put an old LPC (pre-Surefire) forend on it, and just found a more recent 200 lumen LM light that'll fit it. Sidesaddle and bandolier sling - it looks like "Roadhouse" on steroids!

It fills the back corner of my safe quite nicely, now...
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    I keep a night stand pistol and a shotgun for home defense. I mostly grab the pistol when i hear noises. Shotgun if i am certain they are inside. And then, i will hold up in the bedroom with that door locked and wait for police to arrive. Everything outside that room can be replaced and they can have it. once they come thru that door. They will meet 2 well trained people with 2 firearms (she has her own set. same guns and light, tho hers is a 20 and not a 12)

Feedback Score
    A review of the statics compiled by prominent Law Enforcement Agencies reveal the following: A shotgun is the weapon most likely to achieve a one shot stop; It has the highest first round hit probability. Shotguns are extremely versatile. Pumps will digest a variety of loads. The Gauge is my go to weapon.

Don't forget during WW1. The Germans who introduced the world to poison gas, flame throwers and had an effective sub-machine gun objected to the American utilization of shotguns.

Just my Dose Centavos

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BLACKROCK6 View Post
    Don't forget during WW1. The Germans who introduced the world to poison gas, flame throwers and had an effective sub-machine gun...
    Huh? What would that be?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast