Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rethinking shotgun for home defense.

Feedback Score
    The MP 18 manufactured by Theodor Bergmann Abteilung Waffenbau was the first submachine gun used in combat. It was introduced into service in 1918 by the German Army during World War I as the primary weapon of the Sturmtruppen, assault groups specialized in trench combat. Although MP 18 production ended in the 1920s, its design formed the basis of most submachine guns manufactured between 1920 and 1960.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BLACKROCK6 View Post
    The MP18... its design formed the basis of most submachine guns manufactured between 1920 and 1960.
    Only 25,000 to 35,000 produced. Hardly a success.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP18

Anyway, you do whatever you want.

I have a couple semi-auto Benellis for use on varmints, but I would reach for one of my ARs if I were dealing with a two-legged predator...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I don't think you have much chance of hitting a reload with a M4 in a close quarters gunfight at HD distance. But then again, with 28-30 rounds I'd hope you didn't have to.

We've been down this road before in this forum.

I don't think you can give a blanket answer as to what is best for all situations.

I would say that if you are limiting yourself to one shoulder weapon the rifle is probably a better overall choice for most folks.

Enlarging on the can't give a blanket answer thought, I have a suppressed SBR, a 20" 20 gauge loaded with slugs, and several pistols immediately accessible for home defense. If a scenario would present itself where I needed to move through my house, I would do it with a pistol.

One concern I have with the M4 is that if you need to take a close, has to be immediately incapacitating shot, sight offset may be an issue - if you need to take a hostage shot on someone holding your kid.

With the shotgun in the same situation, while sight offset isn't a concern (we are bead people), pattern spread and the wad are. This is why I use Brennake slugs in the 20ga. I chose a 20ga because my wife prefers it over the 12ga.

That is me, based on my analysis and experiences. Others have different opinions, and that is okay, as long as they are making informed, considered choices for themselves.
    As to the hostage/holding your kid type shot with an M4, some of the folks I shoot with (that have a bigger wallet than I do) put an RMR on a 45°mount for that very reason.
    Halosun has a sight that fits RMR mounts and cost almost half, I've been considering this myself recently. Supposedly the quality of the site is good from the little bit of research I have do.

Hope that helps.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345