Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady 5.56 NATO 75 gr BTHP Match Frontier and steel cased "precision" ammo

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hornady 5.56 NATO 75 gr BTHP Match Frontier and steel cased "precision" ammo

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/204586

https://vizardsgunsandammo.com/tula-...em-75hp-20-50/

Ammo prices have come down, but I don't think anyone older than 20-25 is thinking they are actually that good. Gone are the days when you could pick order up a case (1,000) of Q3131A 55 grain fmj for $160. No, I'm not an old man shaking my fist at the sun and talking in tongues, but we have to live with the fact that ammo prices jumped, and they never came back down to a level we had seen before.

Move on and suck it up? Sure, I can understand that idea, but it makes me wonder about the steel cased 75 grain ammo which is available for roughly a quarter the cost of its brass cased siblings.

In the case of the Hornady & Tula ammunition, we are seeing specs as seen below:

Hornady 5.56 NATO 75 gr BTHP Match Ammo Specifications

40 cents per round at the above link (found online, I don't know them)

Caliber: 5.56 NATO
    Bullet Weight: 75 gr
    Product Line: Frontier
    Bullet Type: BHTP Match
    Muzzle Velocity: 2860 fps
    Quantity: 20/Box

TULA TA223675 223REM 75HP 20/50

22 cents per round at the above link (I don't know these guys either)

Mfg Item Num: TA223675
    Model Number: Centerfire Rifle
    Series: HP
    Unit of measure: BX
    Caliber: 223 Remington/5.56 NATO
    Bullet Type: Hollow Point
    Bullet Weight: 75 GR
    Muzzle Energy: 1260 ft lbs
    Muzzle Velocity: 2750 fps
    Rounds Per Box: 20
    Application: Target/Competition
    Casing Material: Steel

These are the cheapest offerings I've seen in 75 grain ammo. If I can buy 10,000 rounds for the price of 5,000, that is fantastic if it still shoots fine. With the possibility of shooting 10,000 for the price of 2,500 dollars, I really don't care about burning out a barrel as I can stockpile ammo which is pretty darn close to my chosen ammo POA/ POI. In a pinch, I can even use the same ammo and not have worries.

Have you guys tried any of the above? Are you familiar with any other offerings which may be priced similar to these? If so, let us know. I'm not quite set up for reloading yet, and freshening up stock piles of ammo always seems like a wise move.

Thanks for any comments.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I am incredibly tempted to pick up a half a case of each. I have a carbine/medical class coming up in June, and was thinking about running a suppressed SBR with a 1-6.5 LPVO just for S&G's......

Thanks for the tip, I'll let you know the results.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Tula is no where close to being a match bullet nor do I think that velocity figure is accurate(probably 24" or 26" barrel velocity) . It prints about the same as all their other 62gr and 55gr variety. Dont know much about the frontier stuff, if its loading the 75gr T2 from the pics then at least is loading a very high quality bullet.

Honestly the best 75gr ammo for the money was Hornady Steel Match or Steel Training. Steel cased ammo but loaded using good powder and a good match bullet, performance was about the same as the brass cased 75gr match ammo Ive shot over the years. Tried to keep it a secret but I cant find any for sale anymore.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 04-25-19 at 19:46.

Feedback Score
    I have heard good things about about the 75 grain frontier. I would test that over the tula steel case which shot looked cheap steel case when I shot a few boxes

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have always scoffed at running steel-cased ammo....I just bought 3 cases of .223 55 gr. Wolf steel-cased ammo from sgammo. It came out to $192.83/case shipped ($0.193/round). And, brass-cased 55 gr. Wold Gold comes out to just under $0.28/round, shipped.

I guess I’ll find out if I hated steel-cased ammo for a reason or just because...I’m buying a separate upper for it, so I’m not exactly saving money.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I had a primer blow out on this stuff last week. Jammed between the new case and the barrel extension lugs requiring tools to clear.

Haven’t contacted Hornady yet since I’ve been on vacation.

CB7FD975-F920-43F0-8FD5-47074417D9F9.jpg

C52B1D51-1A09-4DF4-ABB8-CD50A89D14A9.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    I had a primer blow out on this stuff last week. Jammed between the new case and the barrel extension lugs requiring tools to clear.

Haven’t contacted Hornady yet since I’ve been on vacation.
    I cant tell if thats a Lake City headstamp or not but anything from the frontier line made lake city has been having pressure issues that are pretty common.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I cant tell if thats a Lake City headstamp or not but anything from the frontier line made lake city has been having pressure issues that are pretty common.
    I've been hearing the same thing for awhile.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    That's an amazing price for both offerings.
    I generally like and actually prefer a steel-cased ammo for general plinking/training. Never had an issue with it across multiple brands I've tried. However, 75Gr Tula had the weakest recoil of any 5.56/223 ammo I've seen. Barely locked back in 16" middie, but it did lock back.
    Should be okay in a clean and/or slightly overgassed rifle or silencer use. I highly doubt it will do anywhere close to a claimed 2750fps.
    Depending on your barrel of course, but I would not count on it having the same POI as a quality 75/77Gr.
    Last edited by alx01; 04-30-19 at 01:35.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    That's an amazing price for both offerings.
    I generally like and actually prefer a steel-cased ammo for general plinking/training. Never had an issue with it across multiple brands I've tried. However, 75Gr Tula had the weakest recoil of any 5.56/223 ammo I've seen. Barely locked back in 16" middie, but it did lock back.
    Should be okay in a clean and/or slightly overgassed rifle or silencer use. I highly doubt it will do anywhere close to a claimed 2750fps.
    Depending on your barrel of course, but I would not count on it having the same POI as a quality 75/77Gr.
    Good info, thanks!
    Stick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast