• This Is a Dumb Idea

2 9.09%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Considering Designing a Modular GP Pouch. Gauging Interest

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'm Considering Designing a Modular GP Pouch. Gauging Interest

Hi All,

I've recently had a chance to work on a few side projects, and I have been kicking around the idea of a low-profile, modular GP pouch for a while, as I am noticing that many of the GP pouches that I am using currently are great, but could use a materials update, and would be even better with a bit more modularity.

The pouch that I have in mind would be roughly 7" tall x 7" wide x 1.5" deep, and have the ability to be belt-mounted, as well as MOLLE/PALS compatible.

I'm interested in your thoughts and comments - Go!

EDIT: If you respond as "Maybe - tell me more..." in the poll, and you have a specific question or issue that you want to see addressed, leave a reply. I'll answer each one in a timely fashion.
    Last edited by Leftie; 04-26-19 at 13:43.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One of the things I don’t like about the GP pouches out there is there is no compression to the pouch.

I hate it when the stuff in the pouch rattles around when the pouch isn’t full.

If you found a way to solve that problem, I would be interested.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by telecustom View Post
    One of the things I don’t like about the GP pouches out there is there is no compression to the pouch.

Telecustom, I have worked out a couple solutions to fix this issue - one relies on compression.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by telecustom View Post

One British trick I've learned is wrapping a bit of shock cord around the pouch. On my Mayflower Jungle pouches, they actually left little loops for doing exactly this. You can tension the shock cord as much as you need to compression. As a bonus, it gives you somewhere to hang foliage if that's your thing.

Tactical Tailor did something similar on their universal pouches, which have shock cord zig-zagged on the sides like an HSGI Taco.

I like this solution better than a band of elastic material because it's user replaceable if it ever breaks.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    BrigandTwoFour, funny you should mention shock cord- that’s part of the solution. Right now I’m debating if it makes more sense to use grommets or loops to route the cord and accomplish the compression.

I never liked seen flat elastic for similar reasons...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I'm a fan of shock cord for compression (ie Crye's Smart Pouch Suite). Problem with elastic is that it eventually wears out over time and can't be user replaced. Shockcord would solve that problem and (hopefully) lower production costs.

Would love to see a pouch made with lighter material like Hypalon, or something similar, but I know that material may be cost-prohibitive.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bad aim View Post
    I'm a fan of shock cord for compression (ie Crye's Smart Pouch Suite). Problem with elastic is that it eventually wears out over time and can't be user replaced. Shockcord would solve that problem and (hopefully) lower production costs.

Would love to see a pouch made with lighter material like Hypalon, or something similar, but I know that material may be cost-prohibitive.
    Bad Aim, you’re right in the money with everything that you’re suggesting, so to speak. I’m going to try and keep costs down, but also intend to use a lighter, more durable material like Hypalon for portions of the pouch where applicable. Laser cut Cordura is significantly lighter than identical sewn PALS sections as well, which would help with cost and weight reduction if a reasonable balance between the two can be reached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm bumping this thread, as there has been a lot of good feedback, but would love more. It's become clear that shock cord compression, as well as updated, light weight materials are of interest.

Any other things that you guys might be interested in?

Feedback Score
    I guess it depends opn what kind of GP pouch you're going for. The Mayflower Jungle series (in my picture above), has a lot going for it. It has the tie off points and channels behind the buckles for shock cord, it's made from 500d for light weight, but also has ultracomp fronts for even lighter weight and water resistance. It has helium whisper backing, which is also super lightweight. It's also expensive.

I think it's a good base to start from, though. 500d for the sides and back, with something like ultracomp laminate on the closure side. Helium whisper, which I think is made of something like hypalon, is really nifty, but I don't care for the fact it still uses velcro. If you put a hypalon panel on the pack with traditional molle weave, or used something like the Whiskey Two Four WTFix system, it would be a winner in that regard. Add on an easy way to add/replace shock cord of either the usual small paracord-sized variety or the larger 1/4 stuff used by the Brits, and I'd be very interested.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    BrigandTwoFour,

I haven't used the Mayflower jungle series personally, but I see what you mean by it having a lot going for it. I generally like the equipment that Mayflower/Velocity Systems produces, and have been meaning to check out their jungle pouches for some time now. I find that the velcro on the HW system isn't a deal-breaker for me, but using either a hypalon back panel or a system such as WTFix could not only be viable, but even preferable solution.

In relation to the jungle series size, the GP pouch that I have in mind would be smaller - enough to fit two to four magazines with the right inserts and retention, but also compact enough to cinch down the top and stick a variety of equipment in. Think something similar to a hybrid between a Spiritus Systems GP Pouch, and the Mayflower jungle pouches above, but more compact and adaptable. The idea is to have a pouch that can just as easily be used on a duty belt or on webbing, and adapted to carry many kinds of equipment in different contexts.

As for shock cord - I'm debating between sewing attachment points, or taking advantage of laser-cutting to make the attachment points lower profile (think similar to how the CRO Medical Medic Case has shock cord rigged in the below picture) in theory, less costly to produce in terms of manufacturing time and steps.

Cromedical pouch .jpg

I think that such a system would allow for a user-serviceable way to choose between no shock cord, the lightweight stuff, and the 1/4 stuff used by the Brits with minimal hassle.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast