8 36.36%
  • No - The industry has what I need currently

4 18.18%
  • This Is a Dumb Idea

2 9.09%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Considering Designing a Modular GP Pouch. Gauging Interest

Feedback Score
    I feel laser-cutting attachment points would be the way to go towards keeping costs down and I am a huge fan of WTFix straps. I've replaced all of my MALICE clips with them and they really do keep things more streamlined and the weight savings do add up over time if you have a lot of pouches.

I'm a fan of zippers and SR buckles, as velcro wears out over time and isn't user replaceable. I'm sure you can see a pattern of my posts...trying to get design features that can stand the test of time that'll last even 20 years later if it isn't being heavily abused. A buddy of mine gave me a few of his M4 mag pouches when he was in Afghanistan and the velcro closure pretty much doesn't stick anymore due to repeated use, rendering the pouches essentially useless haha.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Bad aim,

I'm definitely with you on laser-cutting and looking at WTFix straps - I have never used the WTFix system, so I am definitely interested in learning more about them. As this is a project that is being produced from the ground up, I am in a position of being able to use whichever standard would make the most sense, driven by potential end-user data. I'm open to figuring out what works for people who will use the design, as opposed to what I think might work or making an arbitrary decision.

Point well taken on velcro too - I can confirm that velcro closures degrade quickly under high use within my relative experience, and that's been consistent among my friends' impressions generally following their deployments overseas. I'm thinking that a replaceable top component might help mitigate this issue, and also provide more modularity for anyone who wants zippers, SR buckles, grommets/toggles/velcro, or any other attachment that their heart desires. This way, even if the pouch is abused, it won't need to be replaced entirely in many cases.

Quote Originally Posted by bad aim View Post
    I feel laser-cutting attachment points would be the way to go towards keeping costs down and I am a huge fan of WTFix straps. I've replaced all of my MALICE clips with them and they really do keep things more streamlined and the weight savings do add up over time if you have a lot of pouches.

I'm a fan of zippers and SR buckles, as velcro wears out over time and isn't user replaceable. I'm sure you can see a pattern of my posts...trying to get design features that can stand the test of time that'll last even 20 years later if it isn't being heavily abused. A buddy of mine gave me a few of his M4 mag pouches when he was in Afghanistan and the velcro closure pretty much doesn't stick anymore due to repeated use, rendering the pouches essentially useless haha.

Feedback Score
    My main gripe with most GP pouches is the lack of built-in organization. I'm not that interested in just having a giant bag full of crap, I prefer to have lots of opportunities for organization so I can keep things in order. Basically I prefer large 'admin'-type pouches to GP pouches.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    My main gripe with most GP pouches is the lack of built-in organization. I'm not that interested in just having a giant bag full of crap, I prefer to have lots of opportunities for organization so I can keep things in order. Basically I prefer large 'admin'-type pouches to GP pouches.
    Joffe, that's one of the things that has been really frustrating as well, and I tend to lean towards the 'admin' type pouches because of the same issue. I will say though that some admin pouches have too much organization built in, which can get annoying too...

Feedback Score
    Hey Leftie, your PMs are full so I couldn't get my response back to you.

Another closure option I'm a fan of is the "Tuck Tab' system. As far as i know, it was popularized by custom gear guy "Diz," who is pretty active over at Lightfighter. I have some small admin pouches designed by him for MVT. It's basically a stitched-in "tunnel" of material on one side, and a folded over length of webbing on the other to make a "tab." To close it, you insert one end into the tunnel. It's secure, easy to do one-handed, and totally silent. Here are some pictures:

Small pouches on the outside of the magazine slots

Inserting the tab

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    BrigandTwoFour,

I've just cleared out my PMs, so everything should be up and running again!

Thanks for sending the pictures over to demonstrate the "Tuck Tabs" - it's a very cool and intuitive system; definitely something that I am interested in learning more about, as there may be an opportunity to use such a system on this design. From feedback on the GP pouch idea so far, there is a good amount of interest in silent opening and quick accessibility.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I’m a huge fan of multipurpose / GP pouches as I see them very functional from my chest rigs to various packs.

A couple things that bother me about current offerings. Just as an aside I’m currently using Tactical Tailor’s multipurpose pouch- it for most of my needs, but could be improved.

1. Weight- 1000 denier material is sturdy, but a lot of my pouches are the lighter 500 denier and they are holding up well. I’ve found for certain they are definitely not as touch as I recently had to super glue.m a cut in the flap of an ammo pouch.
    2. Configurability - I definitely like a pouch that can be mounted using PALS or on a gun belt. Even pouches designed to be used on war belts have kind of rolled over on me. I’ve made me own workaround to this by using a 1” wide Velcro and since my war belt attaches to a Velcro inner belt, using the Velcro strap in lieu of any kind of malice strap secured my pouch to my belt much more tightly and also sticks to the inner belt.
    3. Size - most of my GP pouches are on my right side and so taller pouches are a no-go because they interfere with my draw stroke even when using an RTI optimal drop platform.
    4. Interior design - I like pouches with some kind of divider inside so I can better segregate the contents of my pouch.
    4.a. Elastic straps inside GP pouches. When I’ve looked at the elastic straps inside most GP pouches , they appear to me an afterthought and no real purpose. That usually results in me forcing to fit something like spare trauma item in a too small elastic loop, or the loop being too large to really secure anything.
    5. Modularity - I like my almost all my pouches to be able to serve multiple roles. i.e. using a universal mag pouch to hold an ifak, my Glock or water bottle. I like that and look for it in most of the pouches I buy.
    6. Adaptability - PALS webbing on the outside is important to me. Especially if I have a thinner pouch and want to add a TQ holder or a pistol mag shingle. I recently started testing BFG’s “dangler”. I don’t think it’s called that but it attaches to where the malice clips lock in and dangles under whatever pouch you hook it to. I’ve used it for a TQ and spare disposable handcuffs. It’s not a GP pouch but I like the ability to hook in another piece of kit to some pouches.
    7. Design - I like my GP pouches with the ability to give me full access. While it can be risky having a pouch with a full zippered opening - as in dumping the contents of the pouch out, I find I dislike even more pouches that only give me limited access and make me hunt for everything.

Well those are the things I look for in a GP pouch. I recently moved from a medium GP pouch to TT’a multipurpose pouch, which is one of the most useful pouches I’ve used and being shorter does not interfere with my draw stroke at all and is roomier than most people probably give it credit for.

I’d really like to see what you come up with. I definitely believe the GP pouch has room for improvement on many levels beyond material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftie View Post
    Bad Aim, you’re right in the money with everything that you’re suggesting, so to speak. I’m going to try and keep costs down, but also intend to use a lighter, more durable material like Hypalon for portions of the pouch where applicable. Laser cut Cordura is significantly lighter than identical sewn PALS sections as well, which would help with cost and weight reduction if a reasonable balance between the two can be reached.

I’ve noticed on the BFG rack minus that the laser cut PALS sections can stretch, especially with a 308 mag loaded with 2x 20 rd or 2x 25 rd 308 mags. Have you seen this or considers long term impact of having having heavier pouches mounted to the laser cut PALS?

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    RoberttheTexan,

Really good points - I appreciate the feedback!

Funny enough, my favorite multipurpose/GP pouch is the Tactical Tailor multipurpose pouch, and as much as I have been trying to find a better option, I'm hard pressed to do so. They make the Fight Light version, which I prefer over the 1000 denier cordura original. I personally think that the Fight Light version is a bit better constructed too, as well as being made of 500d cordura.

I know how you feel about the elastic loops being a total afterthought and either being too small/large, especially being in the front, smaller pouch. I've crammed trauma items into those too small loops as well in the past, and then fumbled for it when I've needed it - not ideal...

Part of the idea is to keep things modular in nature, with quick access to contents either through flap closure or through a zipper. I don't want to over think the entire project, but I think that there are a number of things that can be done to make a pouch that is scalable and hassle-free which aren't being done in the market currently.

Re: your second post, I haven't personally experienced this in a pronounced way, but I have seen "sagging" from laser-cut sections after being woven and re-woven to the extent where it looks like they have been "pulled" or stretched a little. Granted, I've seen traditional PALS webbing stretch under prolonged stress, but in a different way. On the laser-cut side, I've seen it happen to the mounting platform, and less on the side of the pouch being mounted to PALS webbing.

Definitely something that could be tested with a few bags of led shot loaded into a GP pouch and left mounted for a few weeks...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm bumping this thread again, as I have gotten a ton of good responses, but would love even more feedback on the initial design.

Send this to anyone who might be interested!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast