Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Trijicon VCOG 1-8x28

Feedback Score

New Trijicon VCOG 1-8x28

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...VC18-C-2400003

Went to the NRA Convention Friday in Indy. I went shopping for a 1-8x scope, and I was surprised and very happy with what I saw in the VCOG 1-8x scope. It possesses higher quality glass like Nightforce’s ATACR (rep claimed it was ED glass) and I felt it had a much better eyebox than the ATACR 1-8x. I also liked the illumination better, and felt the segmented circle works better than most other illuminated dot reticles on the marker. The turrets are capped, not exposed, which may be an issue for some depending on the application. However, it does use an AAA battery and requires no leveling to mount the scope. I think this will be my next purchase when it becomes available. It fixes all the gripes I had about the 1-6x VCOG, especially the image quality, FOV and eyebox. In fact, the FOV is larger on 1x (on the 1-8x model) than the 1-6x model. Weird.

I compared this to several other entries:

Steiner 1-8x24: I saw distortion at 1x and tunneling at 8x, even when I took my time adjusting the diopter for my own eye. I liked the reticle, and they found a way to illuminate the center dot nice and crisp without any glare inside the tube or scatter. In fact, their illumination and turrets were the best I looked at of the 1-8x scopes. Regardless, the VCOG 1-8x and ATACR had better glass. I was disappointed to say the least, but one needs to stop and give pause, considering the company pulled the M6x 1-6x from the product line before it truly went on sale. They must be having issues.

Schmidt and Bender Short Dot Dual 1-8x24: Huge disappointment. Considering the price, I think the use of a 30 mm tube really hurts the scope. Eyebox not as large as the ATACR or VCOG. Harder to get behind quick. I would take a VCOG or ATACR over this scope.

ATACR: Everyone raves about this scope, but I find the illuminated reticle on 1x to be annoying.....lots of scatter and I could see it on the reticle. Eyebox OK. Glass good. Would I use one......yes, but I would pick the VCOG 1-8x over the ATACR, as I have no need for adjustable turrets on a scope of this type for shooting 600 yards in on my SCAR 17.

I still think the Kahles 1-6x24 is the best 1-6x optic out there in terms of eyebox and image quality. 1x is like a red dot. However, if you want more magnification, the new VCOG 1-8x leads the pack. I will definitely post a review when I get trigger time.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    1-8x VCOG, I hate this hobby..
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Did they fix the durability and diopter shift?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Did they fix the durability and diopter shift?
    Ha. No idea. Time will tell I guess. Do you have a link to those vcog issues?

I had a 1-4x accupoint awhile back and I loved it except it was worthless in low light (despite the tritium). The eyebox was huge and it was true 1x.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Dam, I was at the NRA Show and the Trijicon booth yesterday and missed it. I only checked out their new SRO MRDS. How was the eye box on 1x and 8x? I also checked out the Nightforce NXS I-8x yesterday, and didn’t care for the eye box on 1x or 8x. For *my* needs, the Kahles 16i still checks the most boxes.

I-8x VCOG length - 10.8 “ L
    weight - 31.5. oz
    Last edited by Biggy; 04-27-19 at 13:55.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    Dam, I was at the NRA Show and the Trijicon booth yesterday and missed it. I only checked out their new SRO MRDS. How was the eye box on 1x and 8x? I also checked out the Nightforce NXS I-8x yesterday, and didn’t care for the eye box on 1x or 8x. For *my* needs, the Kahles 16i still checks the most boxes.

I-8x VCOG length - 10.8 “ L
    weight - 31.5. oz
    The eyebox was great and larger than the ATACR. It was very easy to get behind. Remains to be seen how well it will work in the real world.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Interesting, but I'm still very happy with my NX8 at the $1500 price point.

Initial thoughts on the 1-8 VCOG are weight, but I guess it's not much / any different than a ATACR 1-8x in a good mount.

We'll see how it looks in a year or two; everyone gets all sweaty about the new hotness, but then a year later they are dumping for the next, new hotness.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    Ha. No idea. Time will tell I guess. Do you have a link to those vcog issues?

I had a 1-4x accupoint awhile back and I loved it except it was worthless in low light (despite the tritium). The eyebox was huge and it was true 1x.
    I have personal experience with the diopter shift (it was un-usable for me, and resulted in a headache. I spent MY money on that, too. Lost about $500 on the quick-flip. I really really wanted to like it. Definitely not a "It's a POS and I'm gonna show you!" mentality that I had when I walked into it).

The durability comments are from personal conversation with an individual who deployed with several dozen VCOGs and several; dozen MK6's in his unit as part of an evaluation. Zero MK6's hard broke. Four VOCGs did (fogging, loss of adjustments). The MK6's only issue was improper mounting in the LT mounts due to human error, and loss of power due to being left on. Again, human error, but worth mentioning. *This is from memory several years back.

Feedback Score
    No wind holds on the reticle.... so hard pass on that one.

Feedback Score
    That sucks WS6. I’ll probably buy another Kahles for an AR build I did.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast