Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New Trijicon VCOG 1-8x28

Feedback Score
    I’m “themao” on AR-15.com. I used a different name here on this side when there was and still is bad blood between the two.

Killflash installed, setting on 5:

173D86F4-7DEF-4F85-9A18-C3EC12047255.jpeg

Killflash installed, setting on N (see the red blotch):

918C3927-6B50-4807-A15D-0197149DCBF9.jpeg

My Steiner and Kahles do not do this. Very disappointed. I contacted Trijicon to see if this is normal. I don’t have a good camera beyond my iPad’s. When I take this scope out in the dark in my back yard, set it to 3-4, it is VERY visible 25+ yards away if one does not have NVGs on. You can see it in daylight with the N and n settings as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    So what?

You are worried about a non issue. I’ll make you an offer: I’ll help you conduct an experiment, I will take your VCOG turned up to that level in the dark or near dusk. Then hide it in an unknown to you location in an area that is public (not your own property), with the objective lens unobstructed. You will then have 30 minutes to find it, if you succeed I will buy it from you for what you have in it. If you fail, I get to keep it.

Feedback Score
    That seems like a pretty good deal.

Feedback Score
    I grabbed my 1-8 VCOG and and sat in my bathroom in the dark to see how bad mine is about this emitter bleed. Yes you can see it, however it’s a quick glimpse. My natural body movement even when trying to hold it still would cause me to see it for a split second.

Also for those of you who want a higher VCOG mount to clear a LA5 or PEQ the Macedon defense Kram 5.5 spacer brings it to like 1.80 instead of 1.56, it’s not bad in the prone.

Feedback Score
    I still need to hit the range and run it some. The VCOG 1-8 is still the best 1-8x I’ve looked through compared to S&B and NF. Work has gotten in my way

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I picked up a VCOG 1-8x28 MOA for a great deal (new) to take a look at it. Always wanted an ACOG or VCOG, so why not give it a try.

Good

1 - Tough as nails; I understand why the Crayon Eaters chose these to replace the ACOG. Pretty much idiot proof construction and setup.

2 - Great Glass & image; Trijicon mid and upper tier optics have really good to great glass. Very flat image that seems 1x as it gets after diopter adjustment.

3 - Controls; Illumination knob and integral 'cat tail' are setup nice, they move with the proper amount of force to turn the illumination on or change magnification

Middle of the road

1 - Mount; Integral mount is great for the Jarheads and it does cut down on the price, however it's a long optic and I had to click the stock out a notch to get proper eye relief since you can't push the optic forward without leaving the upper receiver and mounting partially on the rail. Sure, you can do that but I prefer not.

2 - Adjustment turrets - kind of average. I get a strong click when going clockwise, a mushy something when going counter. It's capped, so really a set it and forget it but I figured if it was nice in one direction, it would be nice in both.

3 - Eye relief / Eye Box; a tad better than the NX8 on 1x, probably due to the fact it has larger eyepiece. At 8x it's tight, not really better or worse than an NX8. Some ppl bitch about the NX8 but I find it completely fine throughout the power range and the VCOG is similar, maybe a tad better. But it's not earth shatteringly better.

Completely "Mediocre"

1 - Illumination; VCOG 1-8 has 11 illumination levels, 2 NVG (Marked N and n), then 1-9 for higher illumination. For comparison, on "9", the VCOG matches up with the "5" out of 10 on the Nightforce NX8 1-8. It looks 'ok' until you see the NX8, then it simply sucks. Yes, you can see it 'outside during the daylight', but if it's bright / sunny / not overcast, you will see some 'red' but it won't draw your eye at all. Also, there is a good amount of illumination bleed from the front from about 4-9. Does that matter? IDK, maybe.

2 - Reticle Design; Similar to the Accupower / Credo 1-8s, also the Accupower 1-4, albeit without any wind holds. I used an Accupower MOA for a year and found the reticle wanting. I think the external 'hashed circle' should be much closer to the center (similar to the NX8), which might help the illumination or at least help define the center of the reticle.

Overall, even for the price, it's a pass since I get to choose what I keep. Is it a well constructed, quality optic? Absolutely. Would I feel horribly disadvantaged if given an M4 with a VCOG to fight it out at the end of the world? Not at all.

But given the choice, I will take an NX8 everyday and twice on Sundays. A bit lighter, lightyears better illumination, better reticle, NightForce tough enough. There is a reason I have two of them.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 10-15-21 at 08:52.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If I understand things correctly the one the USMC are buying have a BDC reticle. That reticle is not available on the commercial ones?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    If I understand things correctly the one the USMC are buying have a BDC reticle. That reticle is not available on the commercial ones?
    It's not really clear, here was the specification.

Reticles.

All Squad Common Optic reticle configurations should offer Mil-Reticle patterns vice a Bullet Drop Compensator (BDC) style of reticle pattern.

All Squad Common Optic reticle configurations should offer an illuminated central aiming point no greater than 1.5 minute of angle (MOA) (T) or 0.5 MOA (O) that is visible during daylight conditions.

All Squad Common Optic configurations should offer a variety of reticles (i.e., crosshair, German, duplex, Christmas tree, others).

All reticles should be level with a cant of ± 1 degree (T) or no discernable cant (O) when installed in its MIL-STD-1913 compatible mount.

Reticle should be usable in the event of degraded capability or no power situation.

Future Reticles
    Reticle. The vendor should allow for future reticle designs and operational needs to be included in the Squad Common Optic: Mil Dot, Milliradian Line, Ballistic, Velocity, and Grid hybrids. Graduated grid should provide a method that supports the ability to use Windage hold offs and Elevation holds and holdovers accurately. There should also be coarse and fine methods to quickly range targets. A method to allow for rapid engagement of moving targets should be provided on the main horizontal.

Configuration. There should be no changes to the Squad Common Optic design when changing to a new reticle other than the reticle itself.

Reticle Illumination. The reticle illumination should be accomplished using side mounted rotary knobs. The Squad Common Optic should have multiple intensity settings, two night vision goggle compatible settings, and tactile illumination off positions after each on position. Reticle settings should be able to be locked in place to provide for inadvertent power cycling in the field. Reticle should be powered by a single commercially available battery for at least 96 hours at highest illumination setting. The Squad Common Optic should allow for battery changes without removal from the weapon and without specialized tools.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pretty freaking impressive, all things considered !

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I wanted to like mine enough to keep it, but I'm a hardass when it comes to daylight bright on 1x FFP optics.

It's gotta be ****ing bright and not something you have to point in the shadows on a cloudy day and say "oh you see it! It's bright enough".

But all other aspects of it were really nice. Extra points being that you could use it as a club easily if you ran outta ammo for your rifle.

I'm sure it will serve the Marines well.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast