Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Trijicon VCOG 1-8x28

Feedback Score
    My buddy bought one for his deployment rifle. Should be getting to him soon and he’ll be giving me some updates for it. I’m looking at doing the same.

Feedback Score
    I’ll have mine by the end of the week and I’ll try to post stuff about it

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Looks interesting, heavy AF, but interesting.

Marines are buying them IIRC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Coal D. nailed that. If you shoot a lot of long range 400plus, that wind hold is critical. Inside 300 and you can just hold off a bit. Otherwise NO.

PB
    It baffles me why incorporating wind holds into a mil reticle or BDC reticle is such a tough concept for optics manufacturers to get behind.

I have two examples: an older Nightforce NXS 1-4X24 FC-3G, and an even older still Swarovski Z3 3-10X42 BRX. Both are BDC type reticles, both have wind holds on the tree.... both of them work pretty damn well with some practice. First round hit and 100% follow ups with my SR-15 on torso sized rocks a 552 yards, made possible by the addition of a horizontal stadia line on a BDC at 4X. This is not freakin’ rocket surgery, yet from the offerings of most optic makers you’d think that such simple features were impossible!

The Swarovski reticle doesn’t even correspond to any one caliber or load. You plug your data into an app, and it spits out values for each stadia line and wind hold hash. Works great, and some experimenting reveals that within reasonable distances the vast majority of high powered rifle cartridges are not too far off from one another in wind drift or drop out to 550-600 yards.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Looks interesting, heavy AF, but interesting.

Marines are buying them IIRC.
    Yeah it’s heavy and not cheap but buying a NF ATACR wouldn’t be cheap nor would the vortex 1-10 which isn’t that light. The VCOG is durable and it’s going on a work gun so that’s why. My buddy in Germany has been running one on his scar and he has loved it and so has his team. The VCOG reticle is the same as my accupower reticle I use in 3gun so that’s another big plus and the NV settings could be useful too for work.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Looks cool, I'll wait a year or two to make sure people really like it more than the 1-6x VCOG / ie it doesn't have the issues that did.

Feedback Score
    So for what it’s worth I know people will day but it’s heavy and expensive, we’ll buy one on sale from optics planet or dvor to cut price and when you factor in that it has a mount and a ADM Recon is 8.5 oz it’s actually on par with other 34mm 1-8’s when you add a mount. I got mine for work and you can passively aim through it with pvs 31’s. It’s visible in the day time but not nuclear bright. You see a bright red but it’s not star bursting. I haven’t ran it on a range yet. Comparing the weight of my rig with the 1-8 and an offset aimpoint to a teammate’s rifle with Just an Eotech And laser it’s not a big difference like I thought it would be. A buddy of mine in a different unit runs one too and his team all wants to get them now too. He’s been running his for 6 months or so on a scar and his m4.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    So for what it’s worth I know people will day but it’s heavy and expensive, we’ll buy one on sale from optics planet or dvor to cut price and when you factor in that it has a mount and a ADM Recon is 8.5 oz it’s actually on par with other 34mm 1-8’s when you add a mount. I got mine for work and you can passively aim through it with pvs 31’s. It’s visible in the day time but not nuclear bright. You see a bright red but it’s not star bursting. I haven’t ran it on a range yet. Comparing the weight of my rig with the 1-8 and an offset aimpoint to a teammate’s rifle with Just an Eotech And laser it’s not a big difference like I thought it would be. A buddy of mine in a different unit runs one too and his team all wants to get them now too. He’s been running his for 6 months or so on a scar and his m4.
    What mount is it on that lets you passive aim with 31's? It has a NV setting? How "difficult" is it to do so?

Does it have the horrible diopter shift issues of the 1-6 VCOG?
    Did they beef it up so that it's more durable than the 1-6 (better seals, turrets, the other issues)?

I like it in concept, but the 1-6 kinda burned me.
    Last edited by WS6; 07-10-20 at 04:32.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Does it have the horrible diopter shift issues of the 1-6 VCOG?

Did they beef it up so that it's more durable than the 1-6 (better seals, turrets, the other issues)?
    Hence the reason I'll let others beta test, including the USMC grunts. They'll break them for sure but if they contract hasn't been cancelled in a year or 2, it's likely good to go.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast