Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New Trijicon VCOG 1-8x28

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    What mount is it on that lets you passive aim with 31's? It has a NV setting? How "difficult" is it to do so?

Does it have the horrible diopter shift issues of the 1-6 VCOG?
    Did they beef it up so that it's more durable than the 1-6 (better seals, turrets, the other issues)?

I like it in concept, but the 1-6 kinda burned me.
    It’s the TA51 mount. Everyone is oh you need this 2.04 or Unity mount, but go find some of Tony Codwen’s videos and he shows hey bring the gun to your eye just like with a pistol. The stock ends up more in your collarbone and you need to roll it into your view but it’s doable. It has NV settings so it doesn’t bloom too much. You need to focus your dominant eye as a bear focus on your NOD. If you do want a higher mount buy the LaRue pic riser, they’re like $85 I think for the Non QD. As far as how easy is it, that’s just getting used to so doing it. It takes time to get used to getting the gun in the proper position, like an Eotech is easier than an Aimpooint T2 because the window is bigger. I have the 1-6 for a personal one and then we have some 1-6 ones at work and I haven’t seen any diopter shift. I have yet to run it in the range yet. A really close friend in another unit has been running one and it’s held up great when he ran it on his SCAR and now it resides on his m4.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    1-8x VCOG, I hate this hobby..
    Hahaha - I feel ya.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    31 oz ???? Hard pass on that alone...

Before anyone feels the need to list other scopes and mounts that weigh the same - I wouldn't get any of those either...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Riddle me this: Someone mentioned putting the 1-8 VCOG on a SCAR 17, but I just don't get it. Why put 31oz 1-8 on a SCAR, instead of, for the sake of argument, the new NF 2.5-20? The weight with mount will be roughly the same, and most people don't do room clearing with a 16" .308. So why does anyone want a heavy LPVO starting at 1X on a rifle with reach out and touch someone ballistics? I wouldn't put a TWO POUND 8X on my SCAR, because that makes for a TEN POUND SCAR with only 8X before adding a 20 round mag of 7.62 NATO, a light and laser.

Also, I don't get putting a TWO POUND scope on an AR/M4.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 07-22-20 at 20:00.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4t5acp@gmail.com View Post
    31 oz ???? Hard pass on that alone...

Before anyone feels the need to list other scopes and mounts that weigh the same - I wouldn't get any of those either...
    Light rifles matter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Riddle me this: Someone mentioned putting the 1-8 VCOG on a SCAR 17, but I just don't get it. Why put 31oz 1-8 on a SCAR, instead of, for the sake of argument, the new NF 2.5-20? The weight with mount will be roughly the same, and most people don't do room clearing with a 16" .308. So why does anyone want a heavy LPVO starting at 1X on a rifle with reach out and touch someone ballistics? I wouldn't put a TWO POUND 8X on my SCAR, because that makes for a TEN POUND SCAR with only 8X before adding a 20 round mag of 7.62 NATO, a light and laser.

Also, I don't get putting a TWO POUND scope on an AR/M4.
    Because he doesn’t have said NF in the arms room and the Elcans are what the non gun guys on teams run. Elcans don’t hold zero, the ones we have are old and busted. It’s not easy for units to throw up a purchase request and get certain things. You’re also not always getting allotted enough m118lr to use for your SCAR. And why would you use a SCAR for that when you have m110 or SR25’s and also m2010?

Feedback Score
    So I finally got one from EuroOptic. Initial impressions:

Pros
    1. Good clear glass, good eyebox.
    2. Illumination nice and bright.
    3. It is relatively compact considering what you get with an AA battery compartment

Negatives
    1. I cannot believe what you see through the front of the scope with the illumination on. The reticle is visible and as bright as it looks from the rear. I will try to post pics later. I never thought about looking at this before until I heard this criticism about the Credo.
    2. As mentioned previously, no windage holdovers and no adjustable turrets. Not much of an issue for me.

The glare through the front of the scope with the illumination on makes me wonder if the USMC knew what they were buying. I called Tenebraex, and they are still working on lens caps and a killflash. I checked my Kahles and Steiner LPVOs, and you see little if any glare up front. Trijicon’s is terrible. Again, I will post pics hopefully tonight.

Feedback Score
    This is what the front end looks like with the magnification set to 1x and illumination on setting “6”.

DA7F8CA2-64E3-4A31-9673-53C09AB9E6AA.jpeg

As I said before, does the USMC know what they bought? This is going to get a soldier killed. I wish I would have saw this at the NRA Convention. I never bothered to look through the other end before. My Kahles and Steiner looks nothing like this.

Feedback Score
    Realistically how is this getting anyone killed?

At distance just on the viewing angle alone you would have to be looking almost directly into the glass. Try it out at 100 yards in bright sunlight and tell me you can see it. Why have it turned up all the way during the day to shoot at distant targets anyway? Totally unnecessary, save the batteries.

Up close, how is it getting anyone killed? If you’re that close to the enemy in the day, and they can see that red illumination they already know where you are, and they’re about to get shot in the face.

If it’s pitch black you’re using NOD’s and an IR laser, your VCOG is illumination is turned off.

I wonder if you might be overthinking this?

Feedback Score
    Coal dragger is right I put the same thing out to the guy in his thread on ar15.com. I’m willing to bet a lot of other scopes have the same thing. Until someone shows hey it’s lit up and I can see it 100m away then yeah it’s a concern but same room not a concern.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast