Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: XM16E1 barrel erosion study (1966)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great info, learned things.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Obviously the solution is explosive cladding. Because explosions are cool.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Obviously the solution is explosive cladding. Because explosions are cool.
    With what?
    The coating has to be thin enough to clad and still offer benefits. Thin coatings do little for erosion from what Ive seen.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Show me one military on this planet that uses a nitride barrel on their issue weapon. Nitride is a cheapskate shortcut that is popular with manufacturers now because it's, well, a cheaper way of doing it. I would take a nitride barrel over a non-treated one but NEVER over a properly hard chromed one. YMMV.

Switzerland.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Stellite lining actually has a lot of drawbacks.

1) Instead of one hunk of steel with a precision round hole that is perfectly straight, you need at least three parts, usually four, parts with not only straight precision holes in them, the outside has to be held to excruciating tight tolerances.

2) The liner is normally only a third the length of the rifled bore, so there is a discontinuity in the rifling. As much as 0.010".

3) Because the chamber, throat and barrel are three different parts, good luck keeping all the bores perfectly concentric. You can see that in the drawing that they weren't expecting better than 0.010" T.I.R. chamber to throat and 0.001" T.I.R. throat to bore.

There is a reason the military has drifted away from Stellite lining, in favor of the much simpler and cheaper chromium plating. The cost of making a built-up, stellite lined barrel, far exceeds the cost of the two or two-and-a-half chrome-plated barrels for the same life.

Perfect example of something being great in theory that didn't work out in real life. Also, I'd caution against applying lessons learned from 25/30mm chain guns to 5.56 small arms. It's a data point to be sure but may not be relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Switzerland.
    Okay, what weapon?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Pretty sure all the Swiss Sig 55x rifle barrels are nitrocarburized. All of mine have been.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    With what?
    The coating has to be thin enough to clad and still offer benefits. Thin coatings do little for erosion from what Ive seen.

Tantalum alloy

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Show me one military on this planet that uses a nitride barrel on their issue weapon. Nitride is a cheapskate shortcut that is popular with manufacturers now because it's, well, a cheaper way of doing it. I would take a nitride barrel over a non-treated one but NEVER over a properly hard chromed one. YMMV.
    Every military that issues a Glock.

Feedback Score
    PSA has this description of their "Premium" carbine barrel:

"Barrel: A proprietary blend of Hammer forged chrome molly vanadium made by FN that is referred to as "Machine Gun Steel" by virtue of its required use in FN's M249 and M240 weapons. The hammer forging process work hardens the steel, making it more durable. In addition, the chrome process for the bore allows for a lining almost twice as thick as a standard M16 for enhanced durability."

Does the double thick chrome lining have any effect on accuracy?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast