Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BCM: 14.5" Standard Carbine Gas Upper or 16" BFH Midlength Upper?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Someone make be a believer in a small port gas port (less wear and tear) and a large port that will reliably shoot anything. Leads me back to why BCM only sells the A5 kit with the 0 buffer. Why expose yourself to the possibility of softer ammunition not working at the expense of longevity or recoil impulse?? While derailing the thread I want to ask one last question.... Why do you think a hammer forged barrel is better than one that isn't if both are chrome lined? In either when the chrome is gone both are worn out.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Someone make be a believer in a small port gas port (less wear and tear) and a large port that will reliably shoot anything. Leads me back to why BCM only sells the A5 kit with the 0 buffer. Why expose yourself to the possibility of softer ammunition not working at the expense of longevity or recoil impulse?? While derailing the thread I want to ask one last question.... Why do you think a hammer forged barrel is better than one that isn't if both are chrome lined? In either when the chrome is gone both are worn out.
    That’s a great question, following to hear responses.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Trying to port a gun that works for steel cased Tula .223 all the way up to M855A1, suppressed and unsuppressed, from -70 up to 130 and have it recoil like a powderpuff is an impossible task. There ain't no free lunch here.

On hammer forged barrels, I don't think one is "better" and I don't think that the average shooter is likely to realize the primary advantage of a hammer forged barrel (i.e. longer life). Unless you're actually shooting out barrels, it's mostly a marketing gimmick. Kinda like all the Ford Raptors in my suburban neighborhood... If you're fielding a fleet of guns that expect to see high round counts and long service lives things like improved bolts, & hammer forged barrels make a lot of cents [see what I did there?].
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    But you don’t have to slow down for speed bumps with a Raptor, amiright? (End sarcasm)

OP, I think you would be well served by the BCM 16” midlength you are looking at. Someone that shoots the notoriously light PMC Bronze you have may chime in, but it’ll probably be fine in Da Boot. I would bring proper 5.56 ammo if you wish to shoot in the frozen north, solely on speculation. Or, just test fire it while already dirty before you start a class, then clean and lube it. Throw a lighter buffer in if it won’t lock back. I’ve been shooting 13.7” to 14.5” middies in NC, SC, GA, and LA for a while with no issues, summer or winter. ~14” middies are pretty much my favorite configuration.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I ordered the 14.5" pinned/welded BCM SOCOM upper with the carbine length gas system. Carbine gas is a known quantity to me and I know it'll run anything I put through it in any condition. I'll pick up a midlength later.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunCourier View Post
    I ordered the 14.5" pinned/welded BCM SOCOM upper with the carbine length gas system. Carbine gas is a known quantity to me and I know it'll run anything I put through it in any condition. I'll pick up a midlength later.
    I’m fairly confident that, too, will serve your purposes just fine.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunCourier View Post
    I have a 16” bcm carbine and 16” bcm midlength. It doesn’t normally get very cold in south Mississippi, but I can say that on one of our colder days a few years ago (17 degrees I believe it was) that both ran pmc bronze without issue. I’m sure your 14.5” will be just fine and so will a 16” midlength if you ever pick one up in the future.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a few bcm’s. 16 mid, 14.5 bfh mid, 14.5 carbine, 11.5 carbine. By far my favorite is the 14.5 mid. The others are great, the 11.5 is becoming a close 2nd. Honestly very hard to choose the best but the 14.5 mid edges them all out for me. Its smooth, accurate, been reliable. Thats my go to ar. If i could only have 1, thatd be it.

Have had mine out in the maryland winters and florida summers. Few thousand rounds, cant remember, have had them for about 7 years. All has been good, any ammo, any weather.
    Last edited by 04rwon; 05-07-19 at 11:21.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12