Thread: Anyone familiar with this Colt forge mark?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Anyone familiar with this Colt forge mark?

So I happened to be looking at the upper on my 6520 recently and I took note of the forge marks, which are "C B"

Doing a bit of research I can't actually find any reference to that being used, only "C M" for Colt / Martin Marietta and "C MB" for Colt / Mueller Brass

The rifle is a PD trade in. So could the odd forge mark indicate my 6520's upper is not the original and it's actually some sort of frankengun?
    The serial# on the lower puts the manufacture date as January of 1999, which is also what the date code on the barrel indicates as well. And the upper itself has the ol' post-anodizing ramps cut into it, which was apparently pretty common with 6520s. It seems odd that someone would bother to swap one A2 upper out for another.

Plus there is this. I looked more closely at the markings and here you can actually see what looks like the faint traces of an "M" to the left of the "B"

So could the "M" have been deliberately removed for some reason or is it just some sort of manufacturing defect? I also notice that the "C" seems to be located farther to the right than the ones I'm seeing in pics.

So do I just have some "Friday afternoon" forge marks here or does my 6520 actually have some kind of non-Colt upper on it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can see that there is a faint "M" in front of the "B". It appears to be a forging flaw as there does not seem to be any differentiation in the anodizing.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    You can see that there is a faint "M" in front of the "B". It appears to be a forging flaw as there does not seem to be any differentiation in the anodizing.
    Glad I'm not the only one who sees it. I was slightly concerned my beloved Colt might in fact be some sort of parts gun mutt but "C B" didn't seem to be anyone else's markings either. So that's good to hear.