Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR Pistol Weight

Feedback Score
    Glad you went with a brace; hard to hit a barn from the inside without one. Nice build.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    Glad you went with a brace; hard to hit a barn from the inside without one. Nice build.
    Moon
    My first attempt at bracing the gun against my cheek and shooting had my wife giggling (I did mention it weighs less than 6 lbs, right?)

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-11-19 at 14:50.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Double tap...
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-11-19 at 14:49.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, ya' gotta love it when you get that kind of support from your better half!
    Short barrel rifles are cool and handy as hell. How's the muzzle blast?
    Moon

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Yeah, ya' gotta love it when you get that kind of support from your better half!
    Short barrel rifles are cool and handy as hell. How's the muzzle blast?
    Moon
    Muzzle blast is definitely a con of the platform, but then again a 14.5 or 16 inch 5.56 is hardly quiet. We both noticed the concussion increase over 16" ARs, at least when you are not directly behind the gun.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Muzzle blast is definitely a con of the platform, but then again a 14.5 or 16 inch 5.56 is hardly quiet. We both noticed the concussion increase over 16" ARs, at least when you are not directly behind the gun.

Andy
    Pretty much as expected. Personally, like pistol calibers when going short, for that among other reasons. My personal philosophy; rifle length barrels for rifle calibers, pistol length barrels for pistol calibers. YMMV.
    BTW, do we have any notion how the military picked 14-odd inches for the M4?
    Moon

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Pretty much as expected. Personally, like pistol calibers when going short, for that among other reasons. My personal philosophy; rifle length barrels for rifle calibers, pistol length barrels for pistol calibers. YMMV.
    BTW, do we have any notion how the military picked 14-odd inches for the M4?
    Moon
    Please don't point out the flaws of my new baby, sir. Logic is not welcome.

14.5" is the length of barrel that worked with a bayonet when using the carbine gas system they developed for 11.5" barrels.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-12-19 at 12:14.

Feedback Score
    Sorry, Andy, didn't mean to whizz on your cornflakes!
    That explanation of M4 barrel length makes perfect sense...tho' why we were worried about bayonets these days is a second mystery.
    Best,
    Moon

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    My 5.56 pistol does have some advantages over a pistol cartridge AR - ballistics plus ammunition and parts commonality.

Edited to add - My pistol build is not a "go to war" gun. It is a light and handy range gun that I can throw under my truck's back seat in a fairly small case with loaded mags and be covered by my pistol permit in Alabama. I carry a G19 (or a LCP) on my person for "emergencies".

I don't hate pistol caliber rifles, mine are just .357 lever actions, and I flip flopped between a short barreled AR and a PCC build for quite a while.

RE the 14.5" barrel - whenever the military procures anything, they write requirements. Since no one ever got promoted by buying something lacking a capability the predecessor systems had, we get bayonets and bullet drop compensating back up sights on a short barrel carbines and field kitchen stoves that can be operated in MOPP 4...

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-15-19 at 08:32.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sorry, Andy, didn't mean to whizz on your cornflakes!
    That explanation of M4 barrel length makes perfect sense...tho' why we were worried about bayonets these days is a second mystery.
    Best,
    Moon
    Bayonets are far from obsolete.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast