Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: AR Pistol Weight

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Bayonets are far from obsolete.
    Sorry, Vini', hard to take even an M16 seriously, after even once hefting a Garand with a bayonet.
    Andy', you're looking at a PCC junkie; my 'deer rifle' in Westsylvania woods is a 16" .44 Mag; it's an absolute hammer, BTW.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My AR pistol is a heavy bitch. 10.3 govt barrel, RIS II rail, SBA3, H2 buffer, and LAW folder. I haven’t weighed it, but with the LEAP/T2, sling, and PL2 light it’s noticeably heavier than my 16” BCM with a 15” KMR and an A5 buffer. However, the MK18 doesn’t feel unwieldy because it’s so short. It just feels rock solid.

IMO there’s nothing wrong with a lightweight pistol as long as the BCG and buffer are quality, full auto parts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    ...IMO there’s nothing wrong with a lightweight pistol as long as the BCG and buffer are quality, full auto parts.
    This is one of those things I thot' I had figured out, and now I'm not so sure.
    Conventional wisdom was a full-circle, full auto carrier, and buffer. Now some guys are going exactly the opposite direction, apparently in pursuit of a really light rifle. Always something new.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree, I wouldn't skimp on weight with the BCG, I only ever want a normal FA carrier in any AR I own.

I'm sure my cheap BCA BCGs days are numbered. Easy switch to something better in the future.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I agree, I wouldn't skimp on weight with the BCG, I only ever want a normal FA carrier in any AR I own.

I'm sure my cheap BCA BCGs days are numbered. Easy switch to something better in the future.
    Yeah - FA BCG, H2 buffer is where I start for carbine gas guns, including my pistol. I like the reciprocating assembly to have some mass to it for reliability.

Feedback Score
    Is weight the only advantage these guys are seeing? I can't imagine it's good for reliability or longevity.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    Is weight the only advantage these guys are seeing? I can't imagine it's good for reliability or longevity.
    Moon
    The light weight bolt carrier/buffer in combination with an adjustable gas block is supposed to allow the shooter to tune for minimal felt recoil and muzzle movement. You can also drop quite a bit of weight, albeit in the middle of the gun.

I agree that it seems like reliability and or longevity would suffer.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-16-19 at 17:05.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Unecessary expense too. Mine's a bit jumpy with its .087 gas port and H buffer, but it ain't nothin'. Gun runs, hasn't missed a beat yet.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234