Thread: FDE to black dyeing?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

FDE to black dyeing?

Is it possible to dye a piece of nylon that was originally FDE black? Will it actually turn black or will it be an off gray or brown?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, it all depends on the amount heat and the length of time you leave it in the water.

Feedback Score
    It is possible depending on what the item is. Nylon and hot water don't go together well, and you need hot water for the dye to work efficiently. I have used Krylon spray paint for plastic on some items to turn them "SWAT Black" (belt pouches, mag pouches, Camelbak,etc). I used the flat black, and applied several light coats. If you try to put one thick coat, it will crack and look like crap. If you are trying to change the color of cloth type material (clothing), the dye would be a better choice than paint and going from your light FDE color to dark will give you better results than trying to dye a dark item to a lighter color like FDE.
    Last edited by La26; 05-02-19 at 06:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As mentioned heat can be hard on nylon, but I have dyed a few nylon things 10+ years ago that are still around.

Leave it in the dye bath(not on the stove) a few hours in addition to the tips on Rit's site(salt and I think detergent added to the bath).

And you are sure it is nylon and not polyester? Polyester will not take standard rit die well at all, but they have type specially for polyester according to their site that I have not tried yet.

The other thing that comes to mind is the nylon not having some sort of dwr coating on it because I would think that would interfere with the dye absorption.

And you can always go darker, but not the reverse other than basically bleaching which is super hard on it.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 05-01-19 at 20:52.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Auto parts stores sell upholstry and carpet dye in a spray can.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Would Rit work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Would Rit work?

Yes standard Rit works on nylon (and polymer parts with nylon) although I suspect if the nylon has a DWR treatment it won't absorb. Polyester technically won't absorb moisture, but Rit makes another version that they claim will dye polyester.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Yes standard Rit works on nylon (and polymer parts with nylon) although I suspect if the nylon has a DWR treatment it won't absorb. Polyester technically won't absorb moisture, but Rit makes another version that they claim will dye polyester.
    Good to know.

"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."