Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: H322 and 77 grain Sierra TMKs.

Feedback Score
    Reset that Magnetospeed to give you ES rather than SD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Reset that Magnetospeed to give you ES rather than SD.

Why? It’s way easier to figure out es than sd.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    Why? It’s way easier to figure out es than sd.
    Because SD doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things. ES is what matters.

For a good, predictable load, ES needs to be less than 20, for a great load less than 10.

It’s amazing how many of the misses attributed to wind are actually elevation related due to large variations in velocity.

For instance, a 50 fps ES on a .308 with 175s at 800 will result in a .4 mil elevation variation; more than enough to miss the target.

What does SD tell us? Really, as far as useful data, nothing. It’s just telling us variation from the mean. It doesn’t tell us what those extremes are. The extreme samples are misses.

I believe there are a few videos from guys like Scott Saterlee on the topic.

Feedback Score
    Not disagreeing, but I can figure ES out with simple math, SD not so much. And if I has a SD of 6 or less, most likely the ES will also be low.

Feedback Score
    Not disagreeing, but I can figure ES out with simple math, SD not so much. And if I has a SD of 6 or less, most likely the ES will also be low.
    But what does the SD tell you that is useful? It’s irrelevant information. Knowing it doesn’t help your load.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    22.2gr H322? With no optic?! How dare you! Lol. That's quite amazing. What length barrel and velocity?
    16" barrel. Pappabear has the milradian eye piece on his spotting scope. So I picked an aiming point 13 mils up the mountain, and held for wind. I tried to get a pick of the point of hold, but couldn't hold my phone steady enough over the eye piece.

Not disagreeing, but I can figure ES out with simple math
    Yeah. The MIN/MAX are right there on the screen. I tend to look as spread if the SD isn't good. I.E. is there one odd ball velocity or is the whole string all over the place.
    Last edited by markm; 05-13-19 at 11:25.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not disagreeing, but I can figure ES out with simple math
    Yeah. The MIN/MAX are right there on the screen. I tend to look as spread if the SD isn't good. I.E. is there one odd ball velocity or is the whole string all over the place.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    22.2gr H322? With no optic?! How dare you! Lol. That's quite amazing. What length barrel and velocity?
    It was ridiculous, we don't appreciate how much turrets do for us. Mark had to hold the top of the Mountain, literally, and the DOPE was dead on but missed right, I gave him a 4 mil wind call and Bingo. Gave us quite a laugh. He was on yesterday. I sprayed the mountain with my MWS in 308, got pissed and grabbed the 300WM, drilled a Popper at 750 and a target at 1k and 1,300 with no misses. When the ego is fragile, 300M is the medicine.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    When you're tired of dicking around.... Grab the 300!

Feedback Score
    SD is dependent on ES I only look at SD bolt gun under 10 semi-auto I try for the teens.

May all your bullets hit there target.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast