Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
But what does the SD tell you that is useful? It’s irrelevant information. Knowing it doesn’t help your load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure there are some guys here that know way more about statistics than I, but I'll take a stab at it an explain why I look at SD and rarely at ES during load development.

Standard Deviation will tell you the likely-hood of a shot's velocity falling within a certain deviation from the mean velocity. The Extreme Spread only gives you the difference between the two outliers in your string. A round that I may have dicked up could be the cause for a high ES, while while a high SD is indicative of a load that will consistently result in a larger vertical divergence at distance.

For a visual reverence think of a bell curve with steep sides having a low SD (the vast majority of the shots are in the center by the mean).
The high SD bell curve is one that looks like it got pancaked with a hammer. Yeah, all the shots are still within the same ES, but they're as likely to be on the high and low end as they are in the middle.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk