Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan

This just came up on my YouTube feed and looks promising if the trailer does it any justice. August 8th is the scheduled release date for the movie, almost 53 years to the day that the battle occurred.
    The Battle of Long Tan took place 18 August 1966. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...an?wprov=sfti1

I noticed one of soldiers using a slick sided M-16 which I believe would have been correct for 1966.
    Last edited by TexHill; 04-30-19 at 22:42.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    This just came up on my YouTube feed and looks promising if the trailer does it any justice. August 8th is the scheduled release date for the movie, almost 53 years to the day that the battle occurred.
    The Battle of Long Tan took place 18 August 1966. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...an?wprov=sfti1

I noticed one of soldiers using a slick sided M-16 which I believe would have been correct for 1966.
    Were Anzacs issued M16s in 1966?
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Definitely want to see this.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    From the information I've been able to find online, it is possible that they may have been issued M-16's in '66. ARVN forces were using the M-16 by then. The ARVN rifles had chrome lined chambers and bores, while the rifles issued early on to our troops did not.
    Last edited by TexHill; 05-01-19 at 11:28.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The first AR-15s in Vietnam were store brought. The M-16 were the cucked models.

Anyways I have some authentic ARVN Rifles. Never fired and only dropped once...

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    I have a book on Anzacs in Vietnam which has a photograph of one Cpl. Lex McAuley, 1RAR with an M16 in December 1965. McAuley would go on to write a number of books about Australia's military history, including one in 1985 about the battle of Long Tam (which I suspect this movie is based on).
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I have a book on Anzacs in Vietnam which has a photograph of one Cpl. Lex McAuley, 1RAR with an M16 in December 1965. McAuley would go on to write a number of books about Australia's military history, including one in 1985 about the battle of Long Tam (which I suspect this movie is based on).
    From the information I've been able to find online, it is possible that they may have been issued M-16's in '66. ARVN forces were using the M-16 by then. The ARVN rifles had chrome lined chambers and bores, while the rifles issued early on to our troops did not.
    Thanks, much more useful information than the standard FF response.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The first AR-15s in Vietnam were store brought. The M-16 were the cucked models.

Anyways I have some authentic ARVN Rifles. Never fired and only dropped once...

Armalite sold rifles directly to the Republic of South Vietnam.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Armalite sold rifles directly to the Republic of South Vietnam.
    Depending on year. There were still Colt Armalite marked lowers floating about.

The AR-15 DID have all the full features contemporary to its era and was arguably superior to the initial Army Cucked M-16. ARs were in government hands since at least 1962. There is a big difference between the Colt AR-15 and the M-16. The commercial ones were indeed buyable in select fire and IIRC the second largest customer at that era was the Navy. The Army Brand M-16 is the one that had a lot of extra unnecessary.

Slab slide slick tops are a good tell if they were actual AR-15s. 1964 was the year the XMs were in swing. I would assume they were using factory direct ARs as opposed to initial issue but I dunno.

The point is gun was fine until it got messed with.
    Per foreign acquisition, I’m sure they were the store broughts and not the issued ones.

I actually think but don’t know it may be one of a few reasons why all commonwealth ARs go through Canada because of those initial bad runs.

Certainly an interesting topic

ETA when I say “commercial” do not confuse with SP1s. Those came way later mid 60s. I mean commercial as in you got money we got guns. All were select fire. Before a Differently Abled person goes into the numismatics of Navy this includes Marines as them and Army spooks/advisors favored the rifle. The gun du jour was still the M1 Carbine and if you had an AR anything that wasn’t cucked in the early 60s; you had the most advanced small arm available.

Tl;dr. Pretty sure the ANZAC people had AR-15s.
    Last edited by Firefly; 05-01-19 at 18:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Depending on year. There were still Colt Armalite marked lowers floating about.

The AR-15 DID have all the full features contemporary to its era and was arguably superior to the initial Army Cucked M-16. ARs were in government hands since at least 1962. There is a big difference between the Colt AR-15 and the M-16. The commercial ones were indeed buyable in select fire and IIRC the second largest customer at that era was the Navy. The Army Brand M-16 is the one that had a lot of extra unnecessary.
    It's funny that you mention that the AR-15 was in government hands as early as '62. I took my girlfriend on her first visit to the Sixth Floor Museum this past Saturday, and she was surprised to see this photo of a Secret Service agent with an AR-15. She just assumed that the AR was a fairly new design. We've only been dating for seven months, and I'm slowly getting her educated.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast