Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Pistol?

Feedback Score

Winter Pistol?

Like most of you, I’m invested in Glocks, but they have one real negative for me, the trigger guard is very small, too small for winter gloves. Is there a favorite out there that can be used without shucking your gloves??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Change gloves, not guns. Several products from high quality outdoor tech gear makers fit HG, SG, rifle trigger guards. I am particularly fond of several Black Diamond variants I've been wearing this year, -20 and up. Buy once, cry once. http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/mens-gloves
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Most of the guns that have trigger guards large enough to use with lobster mitts and the like are going to be DA/SAs: USPs, HK45 (NOT USPcs, HK45cs, P30s, or P2000s), Beretta 92s, Px4 Storms, SiG P220-series, old Smith DA autos, and Ruger DA autos.

Actually, the P320 might have a large enough trigger guard.

A flat-faced trigger in a Glock might give you enough space, too.

Having said that, I have a pair of Black Diamond gloves and they are shockingly warm, considering how thin they are (I have cheap gloves that are about as thick that don't keep my hands near as warm as my Black Diamonds do).
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don't get these.

https://www.mechanix.com/us-en/the-o...ed-work-gloves

Material is stiff and I don't think they are as warm as their standard material gloves.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Change gloves, not guns. Several products from high quality outdoor tech gear makers fit HG, SG, rifle trigger guards. I am particularly fond of several Black Diamond variants I've been wearing this year, -20 and up. Buy once, cry once. http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/mens-gloves
    I roll two different gloves as base layer inside bigger mitts or as aroundtown gloves.

1) OR Storm Track, you don’t always feel the trigger break but pretty close - https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/e.../2448810001007

2) Cabelas Kangaroo Shooting gloves, looks like these may have fell to the BassPro lowest common denominator approach, but awesome feel/warm - https://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Sho...loves/4217.uts

Feedback Score
    Don’t wear gloves. Place your hands inside your jacket pockets if they get cold. If you see a potential threat, take your hands out. Simple

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Don’t wear gloves. Place your hands inside your jacket pockets if they get cold. If you see a potential threat, take your hands out. Simple
    Kinda what I was thinking. It gets cold here but the only time I wear gloves is when shoveling snow. Otherwise, going from car to building and back the gloves are actually a pain in the ass. I just either put hands in pocket or just tolerate it for the min or so it takes to walk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think for activities such as walking the dog, for one example, one would want to wear gloves.

To make a good decision the OP needs to define the temperature range he wants the gloves to suit.

You can go with lighter gloves if you keep the wrist and back of the hand warm, so insulating the lower arm, back of the hand and wrist area is important.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bare or pocketed hands are not an option in many conditions and circumstances. I understand where that idea comes from and why, but it simply isn't practical sometimes. And there's less/no need for it when acceptable products are available.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I think for activities such as walking the dog, for one example, one would want to wear gloves.

To make a good decision the OP needs to define the temperature range he wants the gloves to suit.

You can go with lighter gloves if you keep the wrist and back of the hand warm, so insulating the lower arm, back of the hand and wrist area is important.
    Good advice on keeping wrists warm. Snugpak and a few other companies have put thumb loops on cuffs of insulated jackets for that reason. Keeping the torso warm in general can keep extremities warm as well.

In addition to walking the dog, etc. requiring hands out of pockets, cold often goes with ice and hands in pockets may cause some time dependent issues on regaining balance or breaking a fall in addition to non ice footing hazards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast