Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terminal ballistics-wise: Mk318 or M855A1?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Terminal ballistics-wise: Mk318 or M855A1?

In keeping with the theme of this forum, I ask that question. When it hits a two-legged critter, which performs better and more consistently? Let's say for a military force, not Joe Civvie.

Sure, M855A1 has some pressure issues which could make one default to Mk318, but if by some miracle increased wear on the weapon wasn't an issue, which one? Not talking barrier penetration, but I guess that should be included in the discussion.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    In keeping with the theme of this forum, I ask that question. When it hits a two-legged critter, which performs better and more consistently? Let's say for a military force, not Joe Civvie.

Sure, M855A1 has some pressure issues which could make one default to Mk318, but if by some miracle increased wear on the weapon wasn't an issue, which one? Not talking barrier penetration, but I guess that should be included in the discussion.
    1st of all M855A1 doesnt have increased wear anymore since they dropped the pressures. Both anecdotally and looking at ballistics gel, M855A1 seems to be the superior bullet. They are very close in performance but when the distances increase and velocity falls off, M855A1 looks to have a lower velocity threshold for fragmentation.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    1st of all M855A1 doesnt have increased wear anymore since they dropped the pressures. Both anecdotally and looking at ballistics gel, M855A1 seems to be the superior bullet. They are very close in performance but when the distances increase and velocity falls off, M855A1 looks to have a lower velocity threshold for fragmentation.
    I didn’t know that they did drop the pressure. I assume 855A1 is better at penetrating armor, I know it performed well there but I don’t know about 318 in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    A1 is running functionally the same as legacy 855 pressure wise.
    A1 has a lower threshold of fragmentation
    A1 penetrates hard homogeneous targets much better
    I have personally found mk318 to be much more accurate. YMMV by lot number and barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    A1 is running functionally the same as legacy 855 pressure wise.
    A1 has a lower threshold of fragmentation
    A1 penetrates hard homogeneous targets much better
    I have personally found mk318 to be much more accurate. YMMV by lot number and barrel.
    Any idea when this pressure reduction from the original loading took place? I have heard about it but never saw something specific like "After 20XX M855A1 underwent a change where the pressure was decreased slightly".
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Any idea when this pressure reduction from the original loading took place? I have heard about it but never saw something specific like "After 20XX M855A1 underwent a change where the pressure was decreased slightly".
    M855A1 was getting tweaked so often it's hard to say, but at least 2 years ago.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Pressures have been dropped but there are still issues with the M855A1 damaging weapons.

In regards to terminal ballistics, M855A1 is superior to the MK318. Better penetration, and fragmentation.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    Pressures have been dropped but there are still issues with the M855A1 damaging weapons.

In regards to terminal ballistics, M855A1 is superior to the MK318. Better penetration, and fragmentation.
    I'm just recalling this off the top of my head but the originals exceeded 60,000 PSI and now they're down to like 56,000, correct? Don't recall where I read it. So less than the original but still higher than NATO specs.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'm just recalling this off the top of my head but the originals exceeded 60,000 PSI and now they're down to like 56,000, correct? Don't recall where I read it. So less than the original but still higher than NATO specs.
    They're a few hundred PSI lower than greentip, I believe.

Feedback Score
    PSI still high. cartage DOES NOT meet NATO/STANAG specs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast