Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wilson Combat Beretta magazine AR9

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    A puzzlement with the OP's review of the Wilson Combat...why a brace with a 16" BBL?
    Moon
    Ten inch barrel.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    So I have compared some of my 9mm carbines.

There are some dedicated magazine PCCs that are fantastic.
    However, compatibility with a companion pistol magazine is a smaller pool.
    Especially Beretta magazines.
    I have worked up to 750 or more rounds each
    I have shown 5 round groups 50m with USA Forged steel cases
    I am not a fan of “clam shell” models, so don’t include any of those options.

Fist up is a Marlin Camp 9.
    Perfect with 5906 magazines. And you can use 92 magazines if you modify for the mag catch.

Pros,
    Not scary looking.
    Comes with sights.
    Takes compact mags as well as full sized.
    Cons,
    Magazine disconnect
    Out of production
    Have to modify Beretta mags
    Stock recoil spring and buffer are weak

Great fun if you have a stable of 5906s, or back when there was no other 92 Carbine option.
    Some parts of the gun are above the average durability in this group. Some parts average, with the stock buffer and spring below.

Group is on the top left.

Key Tec Sub 2000
    Group is the separate photo. All red dots in both photos are one inch.

Cons
    This is the least reliable of the group with a 1-2% malfunction rebate.
    It is the least durable.
    It comes with poor sights.
    Odd configuration
    Pros-
    You can cut it down for compact magazines.

PAK 9-group is bottom left
    Pros-
    High reliability
    More durable than you would think at first
    Takes compact magazines
    Multiple magazine platform options

Cons
    Poor sights

CX4- group bottom right
    Pros-
    It’s a Beretta
    High reliability
    Decent sights
    2nd most ergonomic of the group
    Durability about PAK9 level
    Multiple magazine platform options

Cons-
    Semi out of production
    Won’t take Compact magazines
    No folding stock

Wilson Combat AR9- group top right
    Pros-
    Durable
    Reliable
    Best ergonomics
    Will take Compact mags
    Cons-
    Price
    No folding stock

I have heard the old PC9 Ruger Carbine could also use modified Beretta mags, but don’t have one and have not verified.

If true, the Ruger and Marlin were both viable options for a 92 before other Beretta magazine carbines were available, but I would make another choice in this current availability for a Beretta companion. The new Ruger Carbine is compatible for Glock and some Ruger lines. Again, if you have the old Ruger line or 5906/6906 pistols, these would be an option.

If you have a pistol with no other option for a carbine companion, I guess get the kel Tec. I would not get it for anything else with another option.

The PAK9, and I believe two other models made in the same factory, proved to be better than it looks and more durable than expected. A few touches and it will rate even higher. The Glock and 92 magwells were all good. There is supposedly a CZ75 magwell, but I don’t know where you can get it.

The CX4 is a must have for a serious Beretta fan. And the only Carbine option for some Beretta Platforms. For a 92 you have some other options.

For Glocks, you have a lot of AR type options. For the 92, I only know of the Wilson.
    Quality on this is top of the line. But it’s a direct blowback PCC. It’s like buying a luxury brand CUV for 3 or 4 times the price of a reliable Japanese CUV, but having no better adverse road conditions or off road capability.

I would like this post to have people add responses with their experiences with these and other Beretta 92, 96 PCCs or braced pistols. And for any other PX, Cougar, etc. magazine companion platforms. And if you have had your hands on any CZ75/SP types.

There seem to be a ton of Glock options.

I don’t really like the clam shell options.
    And I find companion magazine carbines/braced pistols way more interesting than PCCs/braced pistols/SMGs that require dedicated magazines.

I will fully admit this may not be the most reasonable opinion.
    If they made a carbine that took P14 magazines I would without a doubt get it.
    Hell, if they made a carbine that took desert eagle 44 magazines, I would end up sporting a pair.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    thanks so much. excellent overview!

(question: forgive my ignorance but what is meant by "clam shell" model?)

Feedback Score
    A Roni or other type of model,
    That is not a carbine or braced pistol by itself.

It clamps onto your pistol, making it handle like a carbine.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    aha! yes, i understand. just hadn't heard the term "clam-shell" used for these silly products. thnx.

Feedback Score
    I'm a 9mm carbine fan, but I've never allowed magazine compatibility drive the bus. Most of mine have proprietary magazines.
    I had a Beretta that used 92 mags, and it was indeed a wonderful PCC. I like good irons, but never thot' the ones on the Storm were especially good, and finally went with a red dot.

KelTec-Mine uses Glock magazines; there was a time that it was one of the only games in town.
    Pros-Glock mags, compact size due to 'thru' the grip' mag placement, no restrictions with a real 16" barrel, utterly safe when folded, compact package.
    Cons- Sights aren't great, some doubts about high round count durability, tho' mine has been reliable.

Colt 9mm AR
    Pros- AR ergonomics, AR irons (mine has A1s and a fixed carry handle), really good feel in the hands, lots of AR parts will fit, double column/double feed proprietary magazines are better, at least in theory, mags are sturdy, available, and relatively inexpensive, reliable.
    Cons- Guns are relatively expensive, often made of unobtanium, only make real sense as a SBR (are there braces out there now?), no folding stock option.

CZ Scorpion
    Pros- Relatively inexpensive, sturdy enough for use as a sub-gun, short and handy as an SBR or braced pistol, decent irons, easy mount of a red dot, makes a really small package with the folding stock, aftermarket parts, inexpensive proprietary double column/double feed mags, reliable.
    Cons- Proprietary, tho' relatively inexpensive, magazines (MagPul is making some now).

Sig MPX
    Pros- Locked breech, all steel in vital areas, nicely turned out.
    Cons-Expensive, with really expensive proprietary double colum/double feed mags. Did I mention the mags are expensive? Mine wasn't reliable, even after a trip to the mother ship, so it is gone. And the magazines are expensive.

IMHO, a PCC doesn't make sense with a 16" barrel unless that is the only way to get it, the Storm/2000 perhaps excepted because of its layout.
    In handgun calibers, short and handy makes the most sense.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    well stated Moon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12