Feedback Score

Wilson Combat Beretta magazine AR9

Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    Yes, it is a pistol.

Yes. It comes with one mec gar 20 mag.
    Very high quality fit and finish.

Unlike many pistol caliber carbines or braced pistols, to include Beretta’s own CX4, you can use compact magazines with it.

Range day will be tomorrow. I highly doubt I will stick with this optic set up on it, but it will give me some magnification for seeing how accurate it it
    Is.

The first trip to the range took place.
    At this price point, no sights is kind of lame.
    Some MBUS sights were place for backup.

The Vortex UH1 holographic sight was used with a magnifier.
    The flash hider is a proprietary design for Wilson and their suppressor.

The threads are standard 30 cal rifle threads, which means my old bower can I can screw on, but not your typical 9mm threads.

All groups to be shown later were with the flash hider.

A bottle of Wilson light oil came with the gun and some was put on the bolt.

The trigger was fantastic for a PCC. Recoil was typical for a 9mm blow back gun, vs some of the more sophisticated PCC designs.

50 rounds each of standard off the shelf Walmart 115 grain Winchester White box and Federal Champion. Another 50 each of my 124 reloads, 147 reloads, Federal Ultra, Wolf Miltary classic and USA Forged. The last two being steel.

The brace is also disappointing at this price point. I may swap SOF a telescoping sba3 or other brace.

Groups were fired for each. My 147 grain were the worst. FC, 124s, WWB, and Ultra were very similar.

Groups were fired prone unsupported. A rest, bench, scope, etc. would obviously be preferable. As would better ammo.
    Surprisingly, both steel selections offered the best groups. A groups was fired with rounds from each selection, plus some Critical Duty.

There was one malfunction. I used 8 30 round mags, and a selection of various Beretta and mecgar. The bolt locked open with one round still in the magazine instead of empty. The Wolf is a coarser case, and the mag was a brand new Beretta 30.

These are 75 yard groups.
    [QUOTE=ramairthree;1383699]250 more rounds today.

150 suppressed.

No malfunctions.

The mag I had the one round early bolt hold open was catching and allowing the rear of the follower up too high. That was addressed.

So I am going to have to say no gun related MFs,
    Out of the total round count was one mag related MF.

On a bench supported at 100m groups were similar to the 75 yard prone.

[QUOTE=ramairthree;1383724]Overall at this point,
    It was time to do some cleaning.

It was not as dirty as many blowback guns at this round count, especially considering the number of suppressed rounds fired.

Unlike the Glock magazine issues and reviews, it has worked fine for me. And leading to a competitor’s model being known as “the one that works.”
    Cleaning involves removing the buffer and buffer spring. A special flat spring that is hell to get back in. Like horrible to deal with. To the point their should be a special fixture or tool to do so.

Other than that, pretty standard.

Overall, we have a very high end blow back, non folding stock, PCC with exceptional fit and finish.
    The problem is, there are a ton of these in colt/Uzi, Glock, and brand specific magazines out there, with a Beretta mag or two, beginning at about 1/4 the price point. High end PCC/SMGs have roller locked delayed blowback or piston systems with folding or telescoping stocks.and there are options that are good at even half the price point. Usually with sights and more than one magazine. 9mm accuracy and range only leaves a fairly small window between adequate and exceptional, unlike some other calibers where the difference between a poor, mediocre, and exceptional gun can be much more drastic. And the extended range can make those differences even more impacting.

The WC AR9 is sort of like getting a Porsche Macan Turbo. It is a hell of a fast CUV, but it is not going through any terrain your AWD CRV isn’t. But it sure costs a lot more. It would be a smarter move to get a 4Runner. And field stripping and cleaning the AR9 is just as painful and inconvenient as getting service on that Porsche will be compared to the Honda.

If you are a huge Beretta fan, you have few 92 mag PCC choices. An AK9, a CX4, a Sub2000, some M1 looking thing, some RONI clamshell options, and the Wilson Combat. The Sub2k is junk in comparison, at a quarter the price. The PAK9 is surprisingly good at the same price point. The CX4 is adequate, but a true Beretta. The M1 thing is horrid by report. I am not a fan of the clamshell concept. The AR9 is the highest quality at a premium, but lacks some features people like in PCCs.

If Glock mag compatibility is your thing, you have some more options, and if mag compatibility, there are some great options and features.

Getting a Beretta mag AR9 is like getting the Macan because your CUV must be a Porsche. There are a lot of capable CUVs at lower price points that are not a Porsche. And if it does not have to be a Porsche and you would consider SUVs you can end up behind the wheel of something more capable.

I do not regret the purchase. I am a collector, user, trier of new things, etc.
    I would say I love it,
    But the lack of sights, a single mag, cheapest possible brace at the price point take me down to like it a lot.

If it was not for that buffer spring, I would completely enjoy it.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    I mentioned in the other thread that I have one. When I clean, I don't bother with the buffer spring except every thousand rounds or so. And other than a single match, it's all been suppressed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    thnx for posting!

using a 92 as my defense handgun with lots of mags on hand, a PWD that uses the same mags has always intrigued me

to review the WC AR9, for me the negs are: blow back, non-folding brace, unnecessarily long barrel, and cost. these are not small issues.

the $500 AK9 is looking better and better, particularly now that it comes threaded

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by feraldog View Post
    thnx for posting!

using a 92 as my defense handgun with lots of mags on hand, a PWD that uses the same mags has always intrigued me

to review the WC AR9, for me the negs are: blow back, non-folding brace, unnecessarily long barrel, and cost. these are not small issues.

the $500 AK9 is looking better and better, particularly now that it comes threaded
    Yes. And in 30 seconds you can swap between Glock and Beretta mags.
    And I have heard but not done CZ75 mags.

I forgot to add,
    I have had the PAK9 on the range with same ranges and round counts fairly recently. Not suppressed as I have the earlier non threaded version. 100-200$ gives you some more rugged parts and a brace.

And use your 92C or even G26 mags with it.

With the CX4 mag swap between P2 and PX4, etc. is a little longer.
    And won’t take Compact mags.
    Last edited by ramairthree; 05-02-19 at 14:33.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    please feel free to add your review of your PAK9 as you learn more about it. you've got me interested.

Feedback Score
    The first few hundred rounds were with Beretta 92 mags.
    I switched to the Glock mag well and just hit 750.

Ammo has been 115, 124, and 147 grain reloads.
    Walmart Winchester white box, federal champion, and steel USA forged.
    Plus wolf and Tula.

One jam.
    Firing sideways with ejection port up for 30 rounds and one piece of brass did not fully eject.

A fifty something year old guy with out his reading glasses shooting cheap steel cased ammo with a fastfire with a dot looking like a bunch of grapes, ringing 100 yd steel standing repeatedly.

This is better than the range toy I The ought it would be.

Plus unlike many PCC, it takes G26 mags, G19, etc.

It is actually better by far than a Sub2000,
    Or even a Beretta CX4.

The magwell and forend are sturdier than I expected. The trigger way better than I expected. Sights and ergonomics are complete AK. If this came with a threaded barrel, taller front sight post allowing a true rear sight and witness, ambi selector allowing thumb activation, etc. it would be completion for much more serious stuff.

Especially if Magpul ever makes a curved forty round Glock mag.

Last edited by ramairthree; 05-02-19 at 18:29.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    sweet set-up. i'm convinced. its on my wish list! thnx ramairthree

Feedback Score
    I picked up a PAK9 last year, mainly cause it took Beretta mags and I’m an AK guy.

So far no complaints. Really good trigger for a PCC. Better trigger than my CX4 Storm and WAY better than my Sub2k.

Heavy, but runs any ammo I put thru it, and as accurate as my CX4 or Evo carbine. The hinged railed dust cover is an expensive upgrade for an AK and this comes out of the box with one, and seems to hold my TRS25 at zero to 25 yards. A bargain for the $430 I paid for mine.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    getting better and better!

Feedback Score
    A puzzlement with the OP's review of the Wilson Combat...why a brace with a 16" BBL?
    Moon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast