Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropping buffer weight with a "tight" gas port?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Dropping buffer weight with a "tight" gas port?

Details of what I'm talking about:

Hodge Defense 14.5" mid-length barrel, gas port purportedly 0.74" or 0.75", made a little tighter for M855A1.

LMT Enhanced BCG

Ammo will be M855 (not A1), Mk262, or Mk318, but all 5.56 NATO stuff (no .223)

So the gas port is "tighter", and the LMT EBCG will take it a bit further in that direction. I IM'd Jim Hodge on Facebook and he said it might be a little much, but to try it.

So it is generally understood that increasing buffer weight will help "tame" (if you will) an over-gassed barrel. Does the reverse hold true, i.e. a strangled gas release can be assisted in function by decreasing buffer weight? The modern standard seems to be an H2 buffer. If cycling is an issue would trying an H or even carbine buffer serve to alleviate that? I guess a good indicator of a "sweet spot" would be proper cycling and then lock-back on an empty mag, correct? Yes, I know extreme cold weather could alter this, but it does with a lot of weapon functioning, not just AR's.

I only ask this because sometimes, when it comes to weapons (and AR's in particular), what you think would be obvious isn't always the case.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 05-04-19 at 19:07.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Lower buffer weight will allow better function with lower gas drive, but the difference is not tremendous.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Lower buffer weight will allow better function with weaker ammo, but the difference is not tremendous.
    So in this case the "weaker" ammo is in fact full-pressure 5.56 NATO loads, not over-pressured M855A1. Nonetheless a "weaker" load than the gas port was designed for. Since I'll start with an H2 I have two more steps downward to play with (H then standard carbine buffer).

I know eliminating the LMT EBCG would un-complicate it, but it's NIW and I want to use the damn thing (not to mention pricey also)! I also like them so would like to find a way to make it work in this setup if possible.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 05-04-19 at 19:22.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Edited to say lower gas drive, either from a small gas port, weak ammo or both.

Will it run regular 5.56 with a mil-spec BCG ok?

Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    So in this case the "weaker" ammo is in fact full-pressure 5.56 NATO loads, not over-pressured M855A1. Nonetheless a "weaker" load than the gas port was designed for. Since I'll start with an H2 I have two more steps downward to play with (H then standard carbine buffer).

I know eliminating the LMT EBCG would un-complicate it, but it's NIW and I want to use the damn thing (not to mention pricey also)! I also like them so would like to find a way to make it work in this setup if possible.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Don't know yet, brand new setup.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    A 0.074 gas port is not on the small side. for a 14.5

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    This is a very poor reason to use it in this setup. The EBCG was designed for a specific purpose that's well outside of what you're trying to use it for. I mean you can make a square peg fit into a round hole... if you have the right tools. Probably easier to use the right peg. PM me a price on the carrier if you're that tired of looking at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    This is a very poor reason to use it in this setup. The EBCG was designed for a specific purpose that's well outside of what you're trying to use it for. I mean you can make a square peg fit into a round hole... if you have the right tools. Probably easier to use the right peg. PM me a price on the carrier if you're that tired of looking at it.
    I have 6 BCG's in storage. All but 2 are "standard" setups except for the coating/finish of a couple (a Colt standard, a Colt with a chromed Colt bolt in it, a Cryptic Coatings Mystic Black one, and a Sionics NP3 one). The other 2 are LMT EBCG's. If this experiment peters out then so be it. If I can get the Hodge barrel to run with an LMT EBCG and do so by playing with buffer weight then that's awesome. This is a new Colt 6920 OEM with the barrel replaced by the Hodge one. It has a Geissele SD-C trigger in it also. It'll be a keeper. I just want to see what I can make work.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Why is there any speculation it would not run with the enhanced LMT BCG?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have an alleged .076 16" midlength and it sends brass into orbit no matter what

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast