Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New carry revolver. Advice and opinions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    A person has to be very careful about suppressive fire in an area, in CONUS, where there are friendlies about. I can't think of any place in CONUS that is classified as a free fire zone, so round accountability is important.

-snip-

If a person is relying solely on a firearm for self defense, I believe they are committing a critical error.
    AWESOME advice.

Everyone that carries 50 rounds just
    To go to Starbucks needs to read this.

As a former LEO it’s been drilled into me over and over how you’re accountable for every single round sent down range. The more you carry, The more you will be tempted to launch. You might get the bad guy, but if just ONE round goes through a window 300 yards away and hits an innocent...

The best tool that you have is situational awareness. Univibe Touched on this also. Keep your head out of your butt and on a swivel, odds are you’ll never need anything. THAT is my goal. As a now just plain civilian, my goal is to live the rest of my life and NEVER even let someone else know that I’m even carrying.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I mostly agree with Det-Sog, most of the time, about most things. The man has his feet on the ground, and his head out of his . . . alimentary canal. Most definitely.

But as a person who can't possibly avoid such areas (Big City, TX) I have come around to the more-is-better school of ammo. I carried a compact 1911 for ages. No more. I took a good look at urban situations, and you'd be amazed at how quick you can get to slide lock and still need more to save your hide.

And study shootings: you could make solid hits with every slug out of a J-frame and the bad guy(s) won't even blink: they will go on trying to do you in until they collapse due to exsanguination. I made the transition to double-stack plastic.

And forget that aspect of shooting that is ignored by law enforcement and concealed citizens alike: suppression fire. Shooting at the baddies to keep their heads down while you re-position or run for the next zip code. Not enough ammo. You're either out by then, or you daren't waste one of your precious five slugs on such. Not good to foreclose a very important but underappreciated tactical option.

And this business of reloading a revolver with speed strips or a speed loader? Nope! Hard enough to do at the range. Not going to happen when multiple armed thugz are shooting at you, or pummeling your person, or trying to run you off the road, or holding an ice-pick to the neck of your wife/girlfriend, or doing other nasty things, at close quarters. Whatever's in that J-frame is what you're betting your life on; there is no succour.

Get real on the mean streets. Carry plenty of ammo.
    When I went for my CCW the instructor pointed out to us that every round you fire has 2 lawyers attached to it. Yours and whoever you hit ( or their next of kin ). Suppressing fire for a civilian is what is called a bad idea where I come from. Not knocking having plenty of ammo, my EDC is a BHP with a spare mag. But I'm not going to spray and pray like some TV actor.
    This soldier should not be allowed North of the Light Line.
    CPT HM

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Suppressive fire talk, in this context, on M4C? Sheesh, didn't think I'd see the unfortunate day.

Anyways,

OP, I have my sights set on a Model 19 Carry Comp too. Played with one at a local store, just amazing. The GP100 in 10mm that I ALMOST bought was great, but a tad too large.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    And forget that aspect of shooting that is ignored by law enforcement and concealed citizens alike: suppression fire. Shooting at the baddies to keep their heads down while you re-position or run for the next zip code.
    Bro, you have gone off the deep end the last 12 months.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 05-09-19 at 16:51.

Feedback Score
    And study shootings: you could make solid hits with every slug out of a J-frame and the bad guy(s) won't even blink: they will go on trying to do you in until they collapse due to exsanguination. I made the transition to double-stack plastic.

And forget that aspect of shooting that is ignored by law enforcement and concealed citizens alike: suppression fire. Shooting at the baddies to keep their heads down while you re-position or run for the next zip code. Not enough ammo. You're either out by then, or you daren't waste one of your precious five slugs on such. Not good to foreclose a very important but underappreciated tactical option.
    Im guessing you live in either Yemen or Somolia nd deal with crazies hopped up on khott every day...
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Lmao.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Suppressive fire.

Feedback Score
    OP,

Try and pick a lighter revolver.

Carrying a 40 oz handgun isnt pleasant. It seems many people are willing to carry about 32 oz (Glock 19)

20 oz us light enough you can actually "forget you have it".

Just something for you to consider.

Feedback Score
    The 640 Pro has been mentioned, and an excellent choice. The 66 is as well, tho' it is a little bigger. Both will respond well to a little slicking and a new rebound spring. It ain't rocket surgery.
    As regards suppressive fire, someone has been watching too many action thrillers. That said, Uni vibe is entirely right about using a gun to let you get the hell out of Dodge...just not in a hail of defensive bullets.
    As regards rounds needed, we are civilians. We don't need to ride to the sound of the guns, nor catch the bad guys. A revo and some reloads seems reasonable.
    Now if you really want 'small' and 'rotsa shots', there is always the P365.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While waiting to get my ducks in a row I decided to stop and my local gun shop and see what all they had around the size frames I was looking at. 3 potential spur of the moment buy caught my eye. A PC 642, sp101 2.25”, and a colt cobra. I loved how all 3 felt in the hand. I’d say I have pretty average size hands every one of them felt great. If I could I would have bought all 3 on the spot. But because the colt had a 15% off sticker price, I was sold. I’m very happy with this little snubby. Still have my eyes on the 19 carry comp. And my attention has also shifted toward the king cobra as well. I believe after I acquire those 2 I’ll be satisfied all together. But I’m sure we’ve all heard the saying “ you never stop, you just slow down” ������979C9B87-9163-4333-96DC-ECA9DC2D8D1D.jpg6E044801-7DA6-4FB3-878E-17D372595595.jpg6E044801-7DA6-4FB3-878E-17D372595595.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast